Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is booking multiple one-way Aeroplan flights allowed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2020, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BW Diamond Select

I have a friend who has an ailing family member and they may have to fly out at a moment's notice.

Is it possible/permissible to book a handful of one-way reward tickets from the same origin (e.g. YAM-YYZ, or YSB-YYZ) over a period of 10-12 days and cancel each one a few hours prior to the scheduled flight should the trip not be required? We just want to make sure the flights are in-hand and not have to deal with last-minute shortage of flights.

​​​​​

​​​​​​
Old Jun 10, 2020, 8:47 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by TTC900Rocket
I have a friend who has an ailing family member and they may have to fly out at a moment's notice.

Is it possible/permissible to book a handful of one-way reward tickets from the same origin (e.g. YAM-YYZ, or YSB-YYZ) over a period of 10-12 days and cancel each one a few hours prior to the scheduled flight should the trip not be required? We just want to make sure the flights are in-hand and not have to deal with last-minute shortage of flights.​​​​​​
The tariff only prohibits booking the same O/D city pair on the same day. There's nothing against the rules to book the same O/D city pair day after day.

It is possible that AC won't like it and might take advantage of their wide degree of discretion under the Aeroplan program to do something about it, but the risk is probably fairly low.
TTC900Rocket likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Revenue tickets seem to be $110 from YAM-YYZ, so perhaps she can do that, cancel, and keep the credit for future travel, or convert to AP miles.

Additional ideas:

What if she purchased latitude fares? Would that be a better option?

Ordinarily, the Greyhound or Via Rail would have been possible options, but both services were cancelled months ago when everything shut down.

Last edited by TTC900Rocket; Jun 10, 2020 at 4:03 pm Reason: Added Latitude fare and alternate transportation thoughts
Old Jun 11, 2020, 9:56 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold

Is it possible/permissible to book a handful of one-way reward tickets from the same origin (e.g. YAM-YYZ, or YSB-YYZ) over a period of 10-12 days and cancel each one a few hours prior to the scheduled flight should the trip not be required? We just want to make sure the flights are in-hand and not have to deal with last-minute shortage of flights.

​​​​​

​​​​​​
I have done this - often hold two flights within a week or so when trying to sort a return. It hasn't been a problem over the past year or so. You may want to consider not cancelling just prior but rather a few days before if you can.
TTC900Rocket likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Yes - my friend's family down south will contact her well before any flight and she'll cancel so that others may have access to the seat/fare bucket.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 11:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I seem to recall reading a story about a UA flyer who had some repercussions booking the same flight every day for a week, and cancelling all but one of them. I did a quick search for the story but wasn't able to find it.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 11:34 am
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium

I do this pretty often. I have not had a problem with this approach

​​​​​

​​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.