Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC SE 100k Status Match to US airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2020, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100k, MT Ambassador, HH Diamond, Accor Diamond, Avis President's Club, National Emerald Club

Due to COVID I haven't been travelling. However, I do have a couple flights that I would need to take from canada to the US before the end of the year. Seeing as though I already have secured SE for 2020 (due to the auto extension), I am a free agent for the remainder of the year.

I know AC waives the AQD requirement for NON-CAN residents. Do any US ones do the same for CAN residents?
Anyone in the same situation have a good suggestion as to a good US airline to status match/challenge to?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Aker; Jun 9, 2020 at 11:36 am Reason: forgot to add thought.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Aker
Due to COVID I haven't been travelling. However, I do have a couple flights that I would need to take from canada to the US before the end of the year. Seeing as though I already have secured SE for 2020 (due to the auto extension), I am a free agent for the remainder of the year.

I know AC waives the AQD requirement for NON-CAN residents. Do any US ones do the same for CAN residents?
Anyone in the same situation have a good suggestion as to a good US airline to status match/challenge to?

Thanks in advance.
No they do not.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100k, MT Ambassador, HH Diamond, Accor Diamond, Avis President's Club, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by canadiancow
No they do not.
Maybe not "waive it" but is it not $10k AQD vs. the standard 20k?
Old Jun 9, 2020, 11:54 am

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Maybe not "waive it" but is it not $10k AQD vs. the standard 20k?
Correct. It is half for people residing outside of Canada.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by dr_torch
Correct. It is half for people residing outside of Canada.
Incorrect. It's twice as much for people residing in Canada.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 2:25 pm

I know AC waives discounts the AQD requirement for NON-CAN residents. Do any US ones do the same for CAN residents?
I slightly edited your quote.

Anyways, I believe that the US3 have essentially ended their discounts on AQD (or whatever each program calls it) for foreign residents. I could be mistaken though as I only loosely pay attention to what is going on with the US programs these days.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 2:34 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
DL still waives MQD for non-US residents. I think UA eliminated recently. Don't know about AA or AS. OP, you could certainly find that out with a very quick trip to the relevant websites.
canadiancow and flyquiet like this.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 4:34 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
UA eliminated the PQD exemption for non-US residents beginning this year, and instituted a PQP (points) system in place of their PQM/S/D thresholds.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 4:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
....Don't know about AA....
AA eliminated the exemption Jan 1 2017 when they changed their program. The sweet spots of course were flying OW partners and earning the EQDs as a percent of the miles.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 5:27 pm

Programs: AC E50K, DL GM , Hyatt Glob.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
No they do not.
Incorrect sir.

UA got rid of it this for 2020, DL (which I use) still waives for CAN residents. However to get the benefit you do have to either 1) write in and prove foreign residency 2) do it on your status match.
I did mine on a status match and picture of driver's license (with home address) was sufficient for this purpose. Note - passport was not sufficient on its own. However DL won't match you to their top tier (Diamond) and will get you to Platinum instead.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 5:37 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by homegrowned
Incorrect sir.
The cow was replying specifically to the comment that AC waives the AQD requirement for non-residents, which is incorrect (they give a 50% reduction for those outside of Canada), making his reply correct
Old Jun 9, 2020, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by homegrowned
Incorrect sir.

UA got rid of it this for 2020, DL (which I use) still waives for CAN residents. However to get the benefit you do have to either 1) write in and prove foreign residency 2) do it on your status match.
I did mine on a status match and picture of driver's license (with home address) was sufficient for this purpose. Note - passport was not sufficient on its own. However DL won't match you to their top tier (Diamond) and will get you to Platinum instead.
Was thinking of status matching to DL, but like you said they only match to PLATINUM.
Think my best option is a challenge to AA and enrolment in their business extra program (earns more points). issue is there is no Q Spend waiver for CAN residents.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 7:09 pm

Programs: AC*SE, Wyndham Dimond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat CND & USA, active military, Yoga teacher.
Why not use your SE and get the most out of it. you can fly points as you will not have to earn more.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by 24left
AA eliminated the exemption Jan 1 2017 when they changed their program.
Incorrect - AA never exempts EQD for non-residents.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 7:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by garykung
Incorrect - AA never exempts EQD for non-residents.
You are talking about now. And perhaps you misread what I wrote.

I never had any EQD requirements from AA until they changed the program. In 2015 and 2016, for example, all that mattered were mileage from flights.

I looked in my files and found an update from them in Sept 2016. I saved the page from the website which said:
"Advantage Program Updates
Elite Status in 2017
Starting January 1, 2017, we’ll add Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) to our earning requirements. Qualify in 1 of 2 ways:
EQDs will be awarded based on.....

"Flights marketed by oneworld® carriers and Alaska Airlines will earn EQDs based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class purchased"

So, to recap, at least when I had status with AA, for a few years, there was no dollar spend requirement. When AA changed the program, everyone, regardless of where in the world they lived, now had to earn EQD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.