Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC domestic connection at YVR - anything open?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2020, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum

Does anyone happen to know whether any restaurants/cafes/shops are currently open in the domestic concourse? (Travel would be this month)

I believe none of the lounges are planning to re-open this month?
Old Jun 4, 2020, 2:33 pm

I'm not sure what is going on behind security.
At the domestic food court, A&W, Tim's, Subway and sometimes booster juice is open.
The magazine store is open until about 16:00.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 2:40 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Starbucks, Timmys and Relay are open post-security in C pier. Can update tomorrow.
Jasper2009, Bohemian1 and jlisi984 like this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Starbucks, Timmys and Relay are open post-security in C pier. Can update tomorrow.
When I was through there on Monday all I saw that Starbucks and Relay were open - I didn't notice about Timmies. The food court towards C43 was closed.

Also depends on time of day. I caught an evening flight on Friday last week and things were closed. Same for the food court outside security, I think some of the few places that were open closed at 6 or 7pm, but the Timmies outside security was still open.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 1:20 pm

Midday update

Noon on a Friday, June 5th:

Currently open post-security in the yvr c-pier:

Coastal News, Starbucks, Relay, Tim’s, Hudson News, Vera’s, Joe & the Juice. All other shops, services and lounges are closed.

The pre-security food court offers Starbucks, Subway, Tims, Booster Juice, A&W and 7/11 downstairs.

You won’t starve during a layover, but I’d suggest eating before arriving at the airport.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 9:33 pm

Evening update - went through security 7pm.

Pre security A&W, Tim Hortons open. Maybe Booster Juice.

Post security everything was closed.
Nitehawk likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by YEG USER
Evening update - went through security 7pm.

Pre security A&W, Tim Hortons open. Maybe Booster Juice.

Post security everything was closed.
Sounds like the cost-benefit is only worthwhile serving those making daytime connections, and assuming evening O&D travellers will have eaten before they depart, or will eat after leaving the airport following arrival. Can't say I blame this strategy, if it's accurate.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 11:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
In normal times, I found the lack of airside food options a little annoying, and would often go landside to Wendy's or A&W if I had more than 40 minutes and wanted some food.

Is space the main reason there are more options landside than airside? Or the fact that a landside option can serve all three departure areas, whereas airside can only do one?
Old Jun 5, 2020, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
In normal times, I found the lack of airside food options a little annoying, and would often go landside to Wendy's or A&W if I had more than 40 minutes and wanted some food.

Is space the main reason there are more options landside than airside? Or the fact that a landside option can serve all three departure areas, whereas airside can only do one?
I think in the C pier, Air Canada (sole tenant carrier) had done a lot of work optimizing connection times, so available time - and thus demand - for food was less. There is still a sit-down restaurant (Monks) but these days, the reduced demand doesn't warrant it being open. Groundside, there are a lot more options to serve a lot more people - the meeters & greeters plus more airport workers working in public areas. In normal times, the A/B pier food outlets were alternate options of course, and didn't require passing a screening point. The pandemic hit prior to a significant transition of vendors. This won't necessarily mean more options, but arguably better ones.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 12:11 am

A few other notes, the passage that connects A/B with C airside appears to be closed. Colleagues who have flown out mid-day have mentioned that security line-ups are quite small. I suppose it would be quite quick and easy to go landside and re-clear security if someone needed to - even for those employees who work airside.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by YEG USER
A few other notes, the passage that connects A/B with C airside appears to be closed. Colleagues who have flown out mid-day have mentioned that security line-ups are quite small. I suppose it would be quite quick and easy to go landside and re-clear security if someone needed to - even for those employees who work airside.
Yes, the entire pier, its gates and vendors are all shut in a cost-saving measure as per: https://www.yvr.ca/en/updates/yvr-te...rations-update
Clearing screening in any direction would be very quick & easy these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.