Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada would like to hear from you" - AC COVID-19 survey 29/5/20

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2020, 2:20 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver

Anyone else get this e-mail, purportedly from Ipsos on behalf of AC? Gmail marked it as spam and warned that the links were similar to links that have been used to steal private information from others. It looks a little fishy, but not completely. E-mail came from "Air Canada <[email protected]>", which also seems odd.

Here's the text of the e-mail. Note the weird PO box as the address at which to supposedly contact AC.

Hello [Adam Smith],

We hope that you and your loved ones are safe and healthy during these anxious times.

As a valued Air Canada customer, your opinion is very valuable and will help shape how Air Canada moves forward in the next phase of COVID-19 recovery. Air Canada has asked Ipsos, a leading global market research firm, to conduct an online travel survey. It should take less than 10 minutes to complete.

Your responses will remain strictly confidential and will be used for research purposes only. By taking this survey, you agree to our Privacy Policy and use of cookies.

Note: If clicking above doesn't work, copy and paste this URL into your browser: Take the Survey

If you have any problems accessing the site or completing the survey, please contact us by email at [email protected]

Thank you for your participation!

Regards,

This email was sent to: [Adam Smith's e-mail address] by IPSOS on behalf of Air Canada because you are an Air Canada customer and your Aeroplan profile and/or your email subscription on aircanada.com contains an email address. Air Canada asked IPSOS, an independent research company, to find out what you think about their products and services.

If you do not wish to receive Air Canada survey emails in the future, please reply to this email with "Unsubscribe from survey emails" in the subject line by clicking here. If you do not wish to receive Air Canada promotional and survey emails in the future, please reply to this email with "Unsubscribe all" in the subject line by clicking here. If you are an Aeroplan member and you no longer wish to receive Aeroplan emails, you can update or modify your Aeroplan email preferences in the "Your Account" section at Aeroplan.com.

Your privacy is important to us. To learn how IPSOS protects your privacy, please review the Ipsos Privacy Policy. To learn how Air Canada and Aeroplan collect, use, and protect the personal information you provide, please view Air Canada Privacy Policy or Aeroplan's Privacy Policy. If you have any questions, please visit aircanada.com or contact Air Canada at: PO Box 64239, RPO Thorncliffe, Calgary, Alberta, T2K 6J7.
Old May 29, 2020, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
"Hello [Adam Smith],"

Did it say something other than Adam Smith?
Old May 29, 2020, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
"Hello [Adam Smith],"

Did it say something other than Adam Smith?
It had my first name (the real one, not the FT one).
Old May 29, 2020, 2:42 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Adam Smith is an impostor?

I knew he looked a bit young for someone born in 1723 .
Old May 29, 2020, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Adam Smith is an impostor?

I knew he looked a bit young for someone born in 1723 .
The secret is moisturizer
Old May 29, 2020, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Note the weird PO box as the address at which to supposedly contact AC.

Nothing fishy about the PO box and address. This is Customer Solutions:

https://altitude.aircanada.com/status/contact-us#/

I suspect the e-mail is actually OK. But granted, they should be smarter than sending e-mails that look suspicious. O had a similar issue with TD some years back and I enquired (a bit like a complain) whether it was legitimate when it looke like it was not. Definitely bad manners. But eh, their new IT head seems even more clueless than the previous one...
Adam Smith likes this.
Old May 29, 2020, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Since I like @Adam Smith and his post seemed like a nice puzzle for a quick distraction....

In the quoted part of your email from Ipsos I see

"If you have any problems accessing the site or completing the survey, please contact us by email at [email protected] "

He seems to exist and fun detail, another McGill grad.

And as @Stranger posted, the PO Box address is on this AC page

If I was bored, I'd contact Ipsos directly and ask about the formatting of their emails such as they landed in your spam folder. And maybe tell AC Twitter and see which one can explain why.
Adam Smith and Thysk like this.
Old May 29, 2020, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

I forgot to mention in the initial post that the link didn't seem to work properly either (I tried opening it in Incognito so that hopefully it wouldn't be able to steal whatever personal information Gmail thought it might be trying to steal). I wasn't sure whether that made it more or less sketchy (in line with the general IT incompetence that surrounds AC)...

Originally Posted by 24left
"If you have any problems accessing the site or completing the survey, please contact us by email at [email protected] "

He seems to exist and fun detail, another McGill grad.
Yes, although if I were a scammer, I feel like I might use a real person's name/e-mail there.

If I was bored, I'd contact Ipsos directly and ask about the formatting of their emails such as they landed in your spam folder. And maybe tell AC Twitter and see which one can explain why.
Not only was it marked as spam, but Gmail also flagged it as being similar to scams that steal personal info. So I think there were probably a few things they did wrong when creating the e-mail...
Old May 29, 2020, 3:04 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Creating fake LinkedIn profiles is child's play. But I agree, this looks mostly legit if not poorly implemented.

A Man Called Adam is probably safe with his online opining.
Old May 29, 2020, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

I tried it again, still in Incognito, and it worked this time. Maybe the survey site wasn't live when I first tried it yet. Survey looks legit, asking about COVID's impact on travel plans, nervousness/confidence in travel, etc.

Hasn't asked me for any personal information yet, so I guess we can chalk this up to Ipsos setting up the e-mail in some way that triggered Gmail's warnings.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old May 29, 2020, 3:21 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Gmail flagged it as spam for me as well. I think it has to do with the email address they're sending it from as well - [email protected]. The AC Listens surveys were sent from [email protected], although they were conducted by Ipsos too.
Old May 29, 2020, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
Gmail flagged it as spam for me as well. I think it has to do with the email address they're sending it from as well - [email protected]. The AC Listens surveys were sent from [email protected], although they were conducted by Ipsos too.
Did it also have the warning that it was similar to e-mails that tried to steal personal info? Or just marked as regular spam?
Old May 29, 2020, 8:46 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Did it also have the warning that it was similar to e-mails that tried to steal personal info? Or just marked as regular spam?
I didn't pay close attention... I saw your message on here and then checked my spam box.

I completed the survey - it was about Covid-19, what your expected travel would be like once restrictions are lifted, how you felt about the AC Care+ program, how you felt about the procedures implemented at the airport and on board, etc.
Old May 30, 2020, 10:43 am

Programs: Altitude 75K, LT Marriott Platinum
I also concur that it was in my gmail account but there were no suspicious language and completed the survey.
Old May 30, 2020, 2:23 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
The message headers (view source/original) may have more clue as to why OP and others marked it as spam.

The marketing company may have been taken a shortcut with SPF record. Or sent too many emails too quick from the same IP address versus a timed campaign from a large paid block of IPs.

For some providers (yahoo/aol), something as simple as one or more other people clicking report as spam versus deleting before you got your copy.
Adam Smith likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.