Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

MLLs in the time of COVID - re-openings, food, distancing, etc [READ WIKI FIRST]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2020, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: vancouver25k
As of July 2022, MLLs appear to be largely back to normal operations.

Ordering to the table has been shut down, with most MLLs offering self-serve buffets similar to what was available pre-COVID.

Note that the EWR MLL has been permanently shut down as a result of changes/construction at EWR.

Showers
YYZ​​​​​​ int - closed (Aug 12. They claimed all showers closed at YYZ but I was only at int.)
YVR tb - open
YVR int - open
YUL int - open

Print Wikipost

MLLs in the time of COVID - re-openings, food, distancing, etc [READ WIKI FIRST]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2020, 9:17 am

Were the lounges open yesterday Adam Smith ? What kind of service?
Dr. PITUK
Old Jun 14, 2020, 10:06 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by painintheuk
Were the lounges open yesterday Adam Smith ?
Nope. Both YYC and YVR (domestic) closed until further notice.
painintheuk likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 12:06 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
But remember that AC has decided in many cases that it's better to pay employees 0% by laying them off entirely than pay 25%. If your revenue is only 5% of normal, there are only so many employees you can keep paying, even if you're only paying them 25%.
What is the employee situation at th lounges? Are not all the service staff inside, that is, past th dragons, contracted out?

What kind of mechanism is there in that contract for shutting things down? (Rhetorical, we will never know the details).
Old Jun 15, 2020, 12:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by RangerNS
What is the employee situation at th lounges? Are not all the service staff inside, that is, past th dragons, contracted out?

What kind of mechanism is there in that contract for shutting things down? (Rhetorical, we will never know the details).
Contract. However they likely also quality for the wage subsidy.

In Canada the only other option other than an MLL would be Plaza Premium (plus the WestJet operated lounge in Calgary domestic). All the Plaza premium lounges are closed in North America. They have a few open in Asia. Interesting what they are doing to address COVID precautions....... We would hope this provides a template for MLL to follow.

Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland
Contract. However they likely also quality for the wage subsidy.
Ultimately, yes. But AC isn't paying "employees" but "FoodCo". What is the AC/FoodCo contract rules for closing lounges long term? FoodCo might be on a fixed price contract for the year. And laid off their staff, and pocketing a huge spread of minimum wage + 20% in and $0 out.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 1:53 pm

Ultimately, yes. But AC isn't paying "employees" but "FoodCo". What is the AC/FoodCo contract rules for closing lounges long term? FoodCo might be on a fixed price contract for the year. And laid off their staff, and pocketing a huge spread of minimum wage + 20% in and $0 out.
Hard to say. I would expect the food would be a variable cost.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 1:54 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
MLL reopenings are surely just delayed while AC fine tunes a custom meal ordering app and adds noodle / poutine pickup windows to each lounge.

​​​​​​I'm equally sure efforts are being made to ensure the steak will be tender enough for plastic cutlery.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 2:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Originally Posted by expert7700
MLL reopenings are surely just delayed while AC fine tunes a custom meal ordering app and adds noodle / poutine pickup windows to each lounge.

​​​​​​I'm equally sure efforts are being made to ensure the steak will be tender enough for plastic cutlery.
They're waiting for their shipment of Wagyu beef to arrive from Japan
Old Jun 29, 2020, 8:43 am

Programs: AC E50K, FPC Platinum
Looks like they're moving slowly with lounge openings, starting with Toronto next month, curious if the eligibility will change. The last thing I need is a bartender judging me for how many glasses of wine I'm trying to scarf down in the 20 minutes I have before I need to head to my gate.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...racdotcom|caen
We are actively preparing to reopen our lounge network by implementing biosafety measures, including: sanitization stations, electrostatic spraying, adjusted capacities, distanced layouts, pre-packaged foods, assisted bar services, and touchless washrooms.

Beginning later in July, we will welcome eligible customers departing on a domestic or international flight to our Maple Leaf Lounge located at Toronto-Pearson, D gates.

Please check back soon for further details about the reopening of additional lounges.

Please note that other partner lounges may also be closed. We invite you to check directly with the operating carrier.

Old Jun 29, 2020, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by eastexpress
Looks like they're moving slowly with lounge openings, starting with Toronto next month, curious if the eligibility will change. The last thing I need is a bartender judging me for how many glasses of wine I'm trying to scarf down in the 20 minutes I have before I need to head to my gate.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...racdotcom|caen
We are actively preparing to reopen our lounge network by implementing biosafety measures, including: sanitization stations, electrostatic spraying, adjusted capacities, distanced layouts, pre-packaged foods, assisted bar services, and touchless washrooms.

Beginning later in July, we will welcome eligible customers departing on a domestic or international flight to our Maple Leaf Lounge located at Toronto-Pearson, D gates.

Please check back soon for further details about the reopening of additional lounges.

Please note that other partner lounges may also be closed. We invite you to check directly with the operating carrier.

Weird decision making process. You would expect starting in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton or Winnipeg or the maritimes would make more sense. Those areas are nearly COVID free. Toronto and Montreal are the two cities struggling to reach that point.
tcook052, jlisi984 and canadiancow like this.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC-SE, EK-G, GF-G
Weird decision making process. You would expect starting in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton or Winnipeg or the maritimes would make more sense. Those areas are nearly COVID free. Toronto and Montreal are the two cities struggling to reach that point.
Agreed. Maybe it has do with social distancing, since the YYZ MLL is the largest (in terms of size)?
Old Jun 29, 2020, 9:25 am

AC's basic internal conflict is if Pearson or Mirable Dorval is the center of the universe.

I'd be shocked if it was anything but one of those two MLL locations opening first. And Montreal is probably still out of glassware and functioning bathrooms.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 9:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
AC's basic internal conflict is if Pearson or Mirable Dorval is the center of the universe.
I don't see any evidence that they'd even consider YUL to be the center. The entire airline is YYZ-centric.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 10:28 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by eastexpress
I might be reading into the wording too much but how are they going to have international passengers use the domestic MLL? Seems like a huge headache trying to get International passengers through domestic security (ala. valet service) and then having to walk over to the E-gates.

I am thinking that access for international flights will be the same as the SSL: SE in paid J who go to the DOM MLL and then are driven / carted / walked to the E-gates at ETD -45mins (?). If you don't meet that criteria for the international flight, no access to the DOM lounge.

Last edited by YVRtoYYZ; Jun 29, 2020 at 10:28 am Reason: grammar
Old Jun 29, 2020, 10:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
I am thinking that access for international flights will be the same as the SSL: SE in paid J who go to the DOM MLL and then are driven / carted / walked to the E-gates at ETD -45mins (?). If you don't meet that criteria for the international flight, no access to the DOM lounge.
Huh?

SS requires paid J. Status plays no part.
And they said they've shut down the chauffeur service until further notice, so no one's being driven.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.