Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

MLLs in the time of COVID - re-openings, food, distancing, etc [READ WIKI FIRST]

Old Nov 22, 2020, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: vancouver25k
As of July 2022, MLLs appear to be largely back to normal operations.

Ordering to the table has been shut down, with most MLLs offering self-serve buffets similar to what was available pre-COVID.

Note that the EWR MLL has been permanently shut down as a result of changes/construction at EWR.

Showers
YYZ​​​​​​ int - closed (Aug 12. They claimed all showers closed at YYZ but I was only at int.)
YVR tb - open
YVR int - open
YUL int - open

Print Wikipost

MLLs in the time of COVID - re-openings, food, distancing, etc [READ WIKI FIRST]

Old Jan 28, 2022, 11:25 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I've been turned away. As have you, IIRC.
As have I....which is a shame

Landing in YYZ, getting a coffee for the road. I get why, it would be abused but would be nice.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 1:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K
The cream of mushroom soup in YVR is amazing. I still love the vanilla passion fruit dessert.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by jmt18325
The cream of mushroom soup in YVR is amazing. I still love the vanilla passion fruit dessert.
Having it right now Spicier than I remember, but that's not bad! Rather busy in here though. I think I've been spoiled flying "off peak".
jmt18325 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 1:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K
Its certainly a big change in terms of volume of people from when I last flew in September.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 2:16 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by jmt18325
The cream of mushroom soup in YVR is amazing.
Is that the Chef Park special? If so, the one I just tried at YYZ Intl was too oily for my liking.

And the chicken tacos took over 20 minutes to arrive (in a near empty lounge). The cold sandwiches (turkey wrap and grilled vegetables sandwich) were both quite disappointing.

Has there been any discussion of returning to pre-pandemic meal offerings in the lounge?
jmt18325 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 3:39 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Is that the Chef Park special? If so, the one I just tried at YYZ Intl was too oily for my liking.

And the chicken tacos took over 20 minutes to arrive (in a near empty lounge). The cold sandwiches (turkey wrap and grilled vegetables sandwich) were both quite disappointing.

Has there been any discussion of returning to pre-pandemic meal offerings in the lounge?
Nah, not the same soup.

YVR was serving Cream of Broccoli (Summer 2021) and I guess Cream of Mushroom (current).

The YYZ soup is Chef Park/Saffron & Califlower soup, same as YUL Domestic.
This is the soup you've most likely had.

The disappointing food I'm finding might be station dependent, or perhaps YVR has more edible choices.

Anyone had the YYZ Pepperoni pizza last little while?
Old Jan 30, 2022, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
Nah, not the same soup.

YVR was serving Cream of Broccoli (Summer 2021) and I guess Cream of Mushroom (current).

The YYZ soup is Chef Park/Saffron & Califlower soup, same as YUL Domestic.
This is the soup you've most likely had.

The disappointing food I'm finding might be station dependent, or perhaps YVR has more edible choices.

Anyone had the YYZ Pepperoni pizza last little while?
Yup thats the one.

As for lounge food quality, nothing Ive had in the last 18 months at a MLL on Canadian soil comes close to the LH / OS / LX Senator lounges Ive visited the past few months. The only comparable MLL lounge offerings were at LHR and FRA. Why does AC continue to treat its home base as the lowest priority stations?
Old Jan 30, 2022, 4:35 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
As for lounge food quality, nothing Ive had in the last 18 months at a MLL on Canadian soil comes close to the LH / OS / LX Senator lounges Ive visited the past few months. The only comparable MLL lounge offerings were at LHR and FRA. Why does AC continue to treat its home base as the lowest priority stations?
Have you been to any of the US airline lounges? The North American MLL network is definitely competitive with what the US3 and 3rd party lounges (e.g. PPL) offer in North America.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 4:38 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Yup thats the one.

Notwithunderstanding to the Panna Cotta and the Soups, the other food quality range from Edible to Barely Swallowable.

I would classify the YVR Spinach and Feta Wrap as edible.
Gourmet Quality it is not but comparable to a Fast Food breakfast wrap.

The worst AC has to offer in my opinion is the YYZ Domestic Spinach & Mushroom Penne.
University dorm food was more appetizing than this masterpiece...

Perhaps its the other *G guesting money that keep the LHR/FRA quality up?
It sure ain't selling 209CAD all-in standard G class fares on YYZ-YVR 😆
Old Jan 30, 2022, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Have you been to any of the US airline lounges? The North American MLL network is definitely competitive with what the US3 and 3rd party lounges (e.g. PPL) offer in North America.
LH and SQ lounges are very consistent around the globe. Shouldnt that be what AC strives for as North Americas best airline?
Old Jan 30, 2022, 5:02 pm

Programs: TK *G
LH and SQ lounges are very consistent around the globe. Shouldnt that be what AC strives for as North Americas best airline?
Unfortunately, no. And this isnt something new either. Ever since I started using MLL in 2013 or so, its been mediocre at best. Remember the pickle saga back in 2015/16?

And, how dare you comparing AC with SQ?
capedreamer likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
The North American MLL network is definitely competitive with what the US3 and 3rd party lounges (e.g. PPL) offer in North America.
I agree with that statement.
Domestic/Transborder MLL are competitive vs. Admiral's Club/United Club/Delta Skyclub/Alaska Lounge offerings.

I would give the AS SEA N lounge a legs up over YYZ Domestic MLL though.
The ambiance and view of the tarmac/runway action in that AS lounge is something else...

Just comes down to competition.
No Competition, No Progress
capedreamer likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 5:13 pm

Domestic/Transborder MLL are competitive vs. Admiral's Club/United Club/Delta Skyclub/Alaska Lounge offerings.

The ambiance and view of the tarmac/runway action in that AS lounge is something else...

Agree with the point about competition. From what Ive seen (courtesy of 24left), WJs new lounge at YYC is quite nice. I guess AC doesnt view WJ as enough of a threat given its limited network.

In any case, I know Im not breaking any new ground here, but I was actually reasonably satisfied with MLL catering prior to Covid. My comment up thread was meant as a lament that AC seems to be in no rush to return to normal in this regard in North America, whereas the LH / LX / OS lounges Ive been to, as well as MLLs in Europe, seem to have done that. And the latter is what genuinely perplexes me: Does AC face more competitive pressure abroad than at home? Wouldnt AC J / *G customers in Europe be quite content using Senator and other *G lounges if the international MLLs didnt exist?
Old Jan 30, 2022, 6:41 pm

Maybe I'm an anomaly, but I'd prefer never to return to buffet. Not covid-related, just 'cause ppl are icky in general. That said, even at YVR there's been a post-covid decline, the arancini used to be more arancini-ish, now it's getting sawdusty.

As for the Elevation Lounge, it could definitely be considered competition to "elevate" the offerings ... if in more than one airport, but with YYC as the only station offering it, currently it's not much of a threat.
yyznomad likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 7:08 pm

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite

Well ORD UA lounges are way, way better than MLL YYZ in my opinion. YYZ domestic is an absolute dump.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.