Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

MLLs in the time of COVID - re-openings, food, distancing, etc [READ WIKI FIRST]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2020, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: vancouver25k
As of July 2022, MLLs appear to be largely back to normal operations.

Ordering to the table has been shut down, with most MLLs offering self-serve buffets similar to what was available pre-COVID.

Note that the EWR MLL has been permanently shut down as a result of changes/construction at EWR.

Showers
YYZ​​​​​​ int - closed (Aug 12. They claimed all showers closed at YYZ but I was only at int.)
YVR tb - open
YVR int - open
YUL int - open

Print Wikipost

MLLs in the time of COVID - re-openings, food, distancing, etc [READ WIKI FIRST]

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2020, 12:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
That would be drastically different from how they already handle capacity issues.

When a lounge is approaching the capacity, they stop allowing passes. I'm not sure if they stop anything else. But I've never been denied entry to full lounges, while people immediately ahead of or behind me have.

Whether or not it's fair, they do have some kind of internal priority for who is allowed in when they're full.
I would assume (perhaps incorrectly) given they hold liquor licenses they would be governed by the caps individual provinces have placed of licensed establishments. I believe in BC that limit would be 50%, but also subject to a cap of 50 people.

If they are working with hard numbers they may very well have to turn away people who are Paid J or higher tier status.
Old May 27, 2020, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Fiordland
I would assume (perhaps incorrectly) given they hold liquor licenses they would be governed by the caps individual provinces have placed of licensed establishments. I believe in BC that limit would be 50%, but also subject to a cap of 50 people.

If they are working with hard numbers they may very well have to turn away people who are Paid J or higher tier status.
One option would be to stop serving alcohol.

Another would be to just increase entry requirements. I don't see a situation where they'd knowingly permit entry to someone with no status flying X class using their Aeroplan credit card when and then turning away an SE in full J an hour later.
codfather likes this.
Old May 27, 2020, 2:37 pm

Another would be to just increase entry requirements. I don't see a situation where they'd knowingly permit entry to someone with no status flying X class using their Aeroplan credit card when and then turning away an SE in full J an hour later.
I think we have all come to accept no alcohol with breakfast. However no alcohol at all would would be inconsistent with the definition of a MLL. However these are difficult times and everyone is expected to make some sacrifices.
canadiancow likes this.
Old May 27, 2020, 3:58 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Hey, let's not get radical about things.
canadiancow and Bohemian1 like this.
Old May 27, 2020, 9:52 pm

Programs: Air Canada A35K, Bonvoy Platinum
Capping the number of people in the lounge really seems like the only socially responsible approach, given that it would be pretty daft to deny someone entry into a nearly empty lounge that they would normally be allowed to access, thus forcing them to go wait at the gate surrounded by huge a crowd.

Honestly I would argue that opening as many lounges as possible with occupancy caps would be a pretty responsible thing to do since it's reducing congestion at the gate.
Old May 27, 2020, 9:57 pm

A lot of the discussion here seems to assume that flight schedule and loads will be back to normal, but lounge capacity will be at 25-50%.

Is it possible they simply won't hit 50% occupancy due to the simple fact that capacity is down 90% (or whatever the number is) ?

They may not need any explicit changes in the MLL.

Someone mentioned a BC rule about maximum 50 people in places that serve alcohol - that would be the only potential problem I see.
unclepants, jasdou and RangerNS like this.
Old May 28, 2020, 9:07 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
I don't think that we will see the MLLs opened this summer. The distancing issues in an MLL are no different than downstairs with the common folk and as explained in other posts, there would be a need to ration entry. This would be a no win situation for the airline, because feelings would be hurt, complaints would soar etc.

The key issue in the MLLs is that there would not be much to offer except a seat. The updated infection prevention guidelines ask that common use surfaces be minimized. This means;
- No shared coffee machines (people touching the buttons etc.)
- No buffet food offerings. Individually packaged and dispensed items only. Not as easy as it looks.
- No self serve refrigerator doors because of people having to open the doors. (Looks silly, but that is the recommendation, and it is common sense.)
- Toilet facilities (cleaning requirements)
- Gathering places, ideally to be kept at less than 10, understood impracticable with up to 50 acceptable with social distancing measures applied. (This is fluid and is subject to each province's updated guidelines that will change with the pandemic progress.)

The guidelines keep changing, and it will be a delicate juggling act to apply those rules without upsetting people. As it is, there is resistance to mask wearing in public with some cities having low compliance.

It is stating the obvious when I say that unless passenger traffic picks up, the subject of an MLL opening will be moot. I know that my employer has suspended all travel indefinitely. Outside of emergency needs, I can't see any company allowing travel, Everyone is cash strapped and costs must be cut. AC can save itself some money too by keeping the MLLs closed until September. By then, we will know if we are in for a 2nd round of Covid19 and if we will have the possibility of a treatment or a vaccine. I expect that most leisure travelers who would use an MLL are like me: We want to travel and aside from the Covid 19 risks are not going to pay for J class if the service (meals, pillows etc.) is not available, and if the cost is too high.
Old May 28, 2020, 10:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan 25K, Marriott Plat
The first lounge to open will probably be the Cafe. Take a prewrapped sandwich and be on your way.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old May 28, 2020, 11:09 am
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
I don't fly J for the food or pilows , I fly it because of space. Don't need a lounge. Lounge is a waste of time and can actually be more crowded than finding a seat at a vacant gate in some stations. Loung is good certainly for the long connections.

I say shut them down for good.... until they bring it back to 20 years ago when not everyone can get access via credit cards or memberships , 35k's etc
Old May 28, 2020, 11:15 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Someone mentioned a BC rule about maximum 50 people in places that serve alcohol - that would be the only potential problem I see.
To clarify, the presence or absence of alcohol makes no difference here to the 50 person limit presently in place in BC.

The detailed points made by Transpacificflyer are probably more problematic for lounge re-openings. At least for now.

Last edited by Bohemian1; May 28, 2020 at 2:55 pm
Old May 28, 2020, 11:57 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
One is supposed to shower before you go in the pool, to keep it clean, and maybe to shower when you go in the chip fab to keep it clean. You shower when you leave the asbestos enclosure and when you leave the car garage to keep the outside world clean.

When everyone in the MLL is heading to a petri tube for 2+ hours, it might as well be as packed as it ever is.
Old May 28, 2020, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by RZR
I don't fly J for the food or pilows , I fly it because of space. Don't need a lounge. Lounge is a waste of time and can actually be more crowded than finding a seat at a vacant gate in some stations. Loung is good certainly for the long connections.

I say shut them down for good.... until they bring it back to 20 years ago when not everyone can get access via credit cards or memberships , 35k's etc
Actually 20 years ago it was even easier to get access with 35k and I think the credit card or "club" access was also always around back then. Today is harder to earn access into a lounge and get 35k than 20 years ago. The difference is there are more flights and more flyers.
Old May 29, 2020, 4:22 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by ride red
The first lounge to open will probably be the Cafe. Take a prewrapped sandwich and be on your way.
Or the YYC lounge since the bartenders to the drinks and the coffees.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 1:57 pm

Programs: LH HON | UA 1K
When do you guys expect lounges to open again?
Old Jun 11, 2020, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Alisamix
When do you guys expect lounges to open again?
When non-essential travel is no longer discouraged.

Lounges are an expense, and no one's flying right now who doesn't need to, so there's very little to gain by opening them.

I'd say any time in June is unlikely, but if I had to guess, it'll be July 15, July 1, or August 1, in that order.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.