Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

MLLs in the time of COVID - re-openings, food, distancing, etc [READ WIKI FIRST]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2020, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: vancouver25k
As of July 2022, MLLs appear to be largely back to normal operations.

Ordering to the table has been shut down, with most MLLs offering self-serve buffets similar to what was available pre-COVID.

Note that the EWR MLL has been permanently shut down as a result of changes/construction at EWR.

Showers
YYZ​​​​​​ int - closed (Aug 12. They claimed all showers closed at YYZ but I was only at int.)
YVR tb - open
YVR int - open
YUL int - open

Print Wikipost

MLLs in the time of COVID - re-openings, food, distancing, etc [READ WIKI FIRST]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2020, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Vicarious Voyager
On a recent flight from YYZ to YUL I sat next to someone from management who said that the re-opening of lounges should coincide with the restrictions being lifted for dine-in restaurants in each province. So when restaurants re-open in your province you can expect MLLs to reopen shortly after. Mind you the former has happened in BC but the MLLs are still closed.
Yeah, I think your last sentence proves that this is just someone who works at the airport.

Originally Posted by meltedmarshmellow
I'm not so sure the idea of opening MLLs is a good one. I mean, after a few drinks one's body temperature would be elevated. Wouldn't that cause IDB?
My temperature has not gone up after drinking. I've had airport temperature checks in Asia at connection points where I was several drinks away from sober.

Also, a lot of people have mentioned the checks are at the check-in counter.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 3:13 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Fiordland
The same way the rest of us not based in YYZ get from Domestic to E. It has always been a bit more complex and labour intensive in YYZ than other Canadian airports. Employee looks ar your boarding pass, seeing our going international then looks over to another employee to signal that your allowed that employee then opens a door that lets you into the overhead maze. As an incentive to make your way though the maze there would be cheese in Plaza premium lounge. The MLL folks would have to be attracted by the pickles etc.

In YVR it is some guy by a podium that looks at your boarding pass and lets you pass or not.
The pair of checkers has been replace with one helper, and a bank of ... are they turnstiles if they don't turn? ... slideystiles.

(and pickles have long since been retired)
Old Jul 3, 2020, 7:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by RangerNS
The pair of checkers has been replace with one helper, and a bank of ... are they turnstiles if they don't turn? ... slideystiles.

(and pickles have long since been retired)
Cool, did they do the same gates up there that they did in Montreal?

I despise pickles, even when in my burger. I thought they still had some.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 7:33 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by meltedmarshmellow
I'm not so sure the idea of opening MLLs is a good one. I mean, after a few drinks one's body temperature would be elevated. Wouldn't that cause IDB?
Scientific basis for this?

First search I did said the opposite:

When it comes to alcohol consumption, during the digestion process, the liver gives off heat as it metabolizes the alcohol. Therefore, it can create a feeling of being warm but is in fact lowering a person's core body temperature. Though a person may sweat, their temperature is not actually rising, but lowering your core temperature.

2nd search says no effect..you feel warmer, but body temp has not changed.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 9:49 pm

The issue is that the forehead scanners will test for surface temperature. Alcohol can make this go up by dilating peripheral blood vessels (ie: near your skin). That's why it feels warm: you sense temperature at your skin and it is getting warmer there. There's more core 37C blood getting to your cooler surface than you're used to.

So, alcohol could throw off the inaccurate forehead scanners. But they're so inaccurate, the acceptable range is probably big.

The alternative to get a good reading anyway would be to stick a thermometer in your ear/mouth/anus. Coming to a TSA checkpoint near you.

Last edited by tcook052; Jul 4, 2020 at 1:12 pm Reason: off topic
Old Jul 5, 2020, 9:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by canadiancow
a lot of people have mentioned the checks are at the check-in counter.
Are they requiring people to use the check-in counters? I very rarely check baggage, so I rarely use check-in counters.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 12:26 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Are they requiring people to use the check-in counters? I very rarely check baggage, so I rarely use check-in counters.
EDITED BELOW AFTER SPEAKING AGAIN WITH FRIEND

I spoke with someone yesterday who flew YXJ - YVR and when they got to security they were asked for their "temperature card" that could only come from checking in. I took that to mean that all people have to go through the check-in counter. That's going to impact me in a minor way, but for non-status people that's brutal.

Can anyone from here corroborate the above?

Last edited by WaytoomuchEurope; Jul 6, 2020 at 1:41 pm
Old Jul 6, 2020, 1:15 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
From my experience:

YCD - at check-in if physically present, at gate if mobile BP
YYC - at gate
YYZ - not sure, was flying int'l and no checks performed (but also connecting - so maybe at check-in/security)
YVR - at security - there was an AC agent taking temperatures.

WaytoomuchEurope - not sure if anything has changed in YVR. Would not seem logical to do it at desks... I was connecting from LHR and temperature check at domestic security seemed logical. If you're connecting, you've already had your temp checked somewhere, and if you're departing, no hold-ups at gate.
unclepants likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 1:41 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by jlisi984
From my experience:

YYC - at gate
YYZ - not sure, was flying int'l and no checks performed (but also connecting - so maybe at check-in/security)

WaytoomuchEurope - not sure if anything has changed in YVR. Would not seem logical to do it at desks... I was connecting from LHR and temperature check at domestic security seemed logical. If you're connecting, you've already had your temp checked somewhere, and if you're departing, no hold-ups at gate.
I have corrected the account I was given above. They flew out of YXJ. Apologies for the confusion.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 12:32 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
MLL in YYC was slated to open end of July as well but apparently it won’t and all protocols will be “tested” at YYZ Dom first. Concierge said turnstiles will be in place - not sure where but I got the impression she though they’d be inside the lounge.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 12:11 am

Programs: AC 75k
But really, if restaurants can be open, MLL can too. They merely have to have systems in place. I have not seen any Provincial guidelines for Ontario or BC (my 2 provinces of residence) saying otherwise.
AC keeping MLL closed is a business decision. Other businesses desperate to re-open and make income were chomping at the bit.
This is simply another, "We wish we could, but you know... regulations.....aka we can't be bothered with the extra hassle or expense." MLL are a liability to AC and CR's future bonus.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 7:18 am

Programs: Altitude 75K, LT Marriott Platinum
One could have only wished that Air Canada would have researched the best practices from the reopening of the competitior lounges post-COVID. Per one mile a time, the new standards by Qantas lounges could have been easily implemented by AC, but it will not look remotely like this: https://onemileatatime.com/qantas-lounges-reopening/
Old Jul 10, 2020, 11:59 pm

Programs: AC 75k
Irony is that one could argue that Quantas even in Covid times is better than MLL at its best. MLL is nothing but the the most basic self serve food. If free basic booze is your need, MLL has you covered.
MLL is where we kill time for flights in relative comfort. More often than not, it makes more sense for us simply to buy an actual meal in the terminal rather than the substandard but free MLL option if that is how timing goes.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by jlisi984
From my experience:

YYC - at gate

Temperature check for YYZ domestic flight was at security
Old Jul 11, 2020, 10:52 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by FlY2XS
Quantas .
Sorry for being such the pest - it is Qantas = Queensland and Northern Territory Aeral Services

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.