Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Unreasonable AC Baggage Transfer Policy; unable to check through to final destination

Unreasonable AC Baggage Transfer Policy; unable to check through to final destination

Old May 25, 20, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Angry Unreasonable AC Baggage Transfer Policy; unable to check through to final destination

Paid a lot of money to fly in Business Class on Air Canada returning from Florida to Canada on April 5/6 due to Covid 19 - FLL to YYZ, YYZ to YVR, and then YVR to YLW.
Both my wife and I required wheelchair assistance. The Air Canada rep would not check our bags all the way to our final destination because we would arrive in YVR at 19:20 pm, overnight at the YVR hotel, and then depart for YLW at 8:10 am the next day. This seems ridiculous. We had to gather our luggage (five 70lb bags at the carousel, haul them and 2 carry ons to the hotel, sleep for 7 hrs, and then haul all the luggage back to the Air Canada check in,go through security, and finally get home. Not Reasonable

Last edited by tcook052; May 25, 20 at 11:29 am
Old May 25, 20, 12:25 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Does not seem unreasonable

If AC lost your bags, your post would have been exactly the same, except you would have been complaining that AC lost your bags while sitting at YVR overnight.

Edit: April was a blur but didn't you need to self isolate when back in Canada by April? Shouldn't you have had to spend 14 days at a YYZ hotel?
Redmax likes this.
Old May 25, 20, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K MM, Accor Gold, Bonvoy Plat, HH Diamond
Not being able to check through an overnight is pretty common.

So is not being able to check through connections exceeding some time limit that is likely less than 12 hours.

I'd say the only unreasonable thing is expecting to manage 7 bags weighing over 350 pounds if you both require wheelchair assistance.

There are so many things that can disrupt travel and force overnight connections where you may be forced to collect and manage your luggage. If you are not capable of doing that, you should be shipping it, not traveling with it.
Old May 25, 20, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Try being handicapped (wife has Parkinsons Disease and I need a hip replacement) and lugging five 70 lb bags around (for 6 months in Florida).
All of this as a result of Air Canada cancelling all flights out of RSW ( our original departure return date was April 28/20), followed by the Governor of Florida considering closing all airports to flights from Canada, followed with trying to fly with United out of Tampa only to have Air Canada cancel the last 2 segments of our booked itinerary, followed by booking a flight out of Fort Lauderdale for April 11, followed by the Governor stating the closure of all airports was imminent, followed by us changing the return date to April 6 and being charged a hefty price by Air Canada, followed by paying an additional fee for one extra 70 lb checked bag - (note we were each originally allowed two 70 lb checked bags)
As far as the comment that Air Canada could possibly our bags if they were checked through to YLW this is irrelevant
I have yet to see a clear baggage transfer policy from Air Canada for a maximum connection time between segments
sokolov likes this.
Old May 25, 20, 2:47 pm

I don't know if/where there is an official policy on overnight baggage, but I do know that it's common practice, with AC and other airlines. That being said, I've heard of other airlines that will check through bags on overnight connections.

I too have had overnight connections and would have loved to check the bags through, but unfortunately it wasn't possible.

Inconvenient, certainly. Ridiculous or unreasonable - I wouldn't go that far.
Old May 25, 20, 2:58 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
I have never been able to have luggage thru checked with Air Canada if an overnight connection was involved - I used to arrive YVR Sunday evening, with an early morning departure on Monday morning with AC Express. Had to pick up bags and check them in again the next day.

Were there no porters available at the baggage reclaim area to help you with your bags?
Old May 25, 20, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I side with OP reluctantly.

OP is traveling from the U.S. to Canada. So AC's international tariff applies.

AC defines "stopover" as:

“Stopover” when a passenger arrives at an intermediate point and is scheduled to depart later than 24 hours after arrival. (Rule 1)
Rule 60(5) states that a baggage will not be checked "[b]eyond the passenger's next point of stopover or, if there is no stopover, beyond the final destination designated on the ticket."

If OP's entire itinerary is on 1 single ticket, i.e. YVR-YLW is included, and OP's travel is with AC, I see no reason why AC needed OP to pick-up the baggage at YVR if not requested by OP.

I understand that many airlines offload baggage when the passengers have to overnight due to liability issue. So while what AC did makes sense practically, AC was in theory incorrect per its international tariff.

Hence, the reluctance.

But my question to OP is - So? OP could file a complaint with CTA. But what exactly do you want AC to do to remedy the situation?

Originally Posted by letsflyright View Post
Try being handicapped (wife has Parkinsons Disease and I need a hip replacement) and lugging five 70 lb bags around (for 6 months in Florida).
This is the part I would not side with you. AC's treatment to you is not motivated by disability. Playing the discrimination card can get you nowhere.

Beside - given the disability is not new, I am surprised that you have no advance planning on how to handle baggage. FWIW - reasonable accommodation can only go so far.
Old May 25, 20, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung View Post

Wrong. US is not international.
Old May 25, 20, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by letsflyright View Post
All of this as a result of Air Canada cancelling all flights out of RSW ( our original departure return date was April 28/20), followed by the Governor of Florida considering closing all airports to flights from Canada, followed with trying to fly with United out of Tampa only to have Air Canada cancel the last 2 segments of our booked itinerary, followed by booking a flight out of Fort Lauderdale for April 11, followed by the Governor stating the closure of all airports was imminent, followed by us changing the return date to April 6 and being charged a hefty price by Air Canada, followed by paying an additional fee for one extra 70 lb checked bag - (note we were each originally allowed two 70 lb checked bags)
As far as the comment that Air Canada could possibly our bags if they were checked through to YLW this is irrelevant
I have yet to see a clear baggage transfer policy from Air Canada for a maximum connection time between segments
Yes, I understand that there is no Covid in Florida. But there is in Canada and the border has been closed for quite a while, hence flights disappearing. Which we are all painfully aware of.

But seriously, when did the Canadian govt issue an advisory strongly advising Canadians to return to Canada? That was something like mid-March, wasn't it? At that point, there were still AC flights. But for folks who insisted in getting exposed to the Covid thing while in Florida, sure it gets harder. But whom to blame?

Furthermore, it seems somewhat ironical that the OP had no problem hauling five 70 lb bags for six months while on his wheelchair, but suddenly at YVR it became a major issue. :-)
gcashin likes this.
Old May 25, 20, 4:12 pm

Programs: AC E35K
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Wrong. US is not international.
There are only 2 Tariffs - domestic and international. The US is included in the International Tarrif.
Old May 25, 20, 5:02 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
If i was staying 6 months a year in the US.... I wouldn't be flying with 5 70 pound bags.

I would own my condo or place and leave stuff there. What were you taking the kitchen sink?
mapleg, Twickenham and wrldwide1 like this.
Old May 25, 20, 5:13 pm

Programs: BAEC, Priority Club, Fairmont Presidents Club
March 15th was when Trudeau told Canadians to return home asap or risk being stranded. I know because i had to buy a ticket to get my daughter home from Glasgow earlier than planned.

That was a massive amount of luggage, we go south to Mexico for many months, with one carry on and a backpack each. I still have clothes that come back unworn. It is very difficult to handle multiple suitcases, even when not dealing with disabilities. My future advice would be to pack lighter, especially after you experienced this nightmare. I assume you were able to get some help with the bags? I have trouble envisaging you and 7 wheeled bags getting to the hotel alone.
canadiancow and gcashin like this.
Old May 25, 20, 5:37 pm

It is too bad that the policies are not clearly published somewhere.

Last edited by tcook052; May 25, 20 at 6:14 pm Reason: off topic
Old May 25, 20, 6:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
US is not international.
Regardless of which tariffs apply, U.S. is definitely international. For example, the 14-day quarantine still applies.

The tariffs would more properly be called intercontinental and intracontinental.
Old May 25, 20, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by garykung View Post

AC defines "stopover" as:

Rule 60(5) states that a baggage will not be checked "eyond the passenger's next point of stopover or, if there is no stopover, beyond the final destination designated on the ticket."

If OP's entire itinerary is on 1 single ticket, i.e. YVR-YLW is included, and OP's travel is with AC, I see no reason why AC needed OP to pick-up the baggage at YVR if not requested by OP.

I understand that many airlines offload baggage when the passengers have to overnight due to liability issue. So while what AC did makes sense practically, AC was in theory incorrect per its international tariff.

Hence, the reluctance.

But my question to OP is - So? OP could file a complaint with CTA. But what exactly do you want AC to do to remedy the situation?

This is the part I would not side with you. AC's treatment to you is not motivated by disability. Playing the discrimination card can get you nowhere.

Beside - given the disability is not new, I am surprised that you have no advance planning on how to handle baggage. FWIW - reasonable accommodation can only go so far.

The rule you quote on baggage with respect to stopovers is a rule of limitation or exclusion not of inclusion otherwise. In other words, that rule is NOT stating what duration of connection or stopover WILL have baggage transferred - just when it WON'T.

As the generic rule a bit further down states:

"Beyond a point at which the passenger is to transfer to a connecting flight if carrier is unable to through-check the baggage"

They've given themselves a big out - but the policy should be stated somewhere readily found - doesn't seem to be.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: