Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC International J Service Experience During Covid

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC International J Service Experience During Covid

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2020, 4:58 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K 2MM, Accor Gold
Agreed -- same hospital food on FRA-YYZ today. Good that change is coming. We actually smuggled a fresh sourdough bread with 2 cans of caviar and "pate de campagne" on board. No wine alas
Old Jul 29, 2020, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by quandide
Agreed -- same hospital food on FRA-YYZ today. Good that change is coming. We actually smuggled a fresh sourdough bread with 2 cans of caviar and "pate de campagne" on board. No wine alas
And meanwhile, AC isn't discounting long-haul J, sad excuse for such low levels of service.
YVR guy likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 3:51 pm

Programs: AC SE. Hilton Diamond, Marriot TI, Avis PC. Hertz PC.
well... glad to have moved my yhz-yyz-yvr-icn to Aug 4. I was supposed to leave yesterday with original itinerary.

Maybe i should have booked with Asiana, but I really really didnt want to go through LAX or SEA.. or anywhere in US
Old Jul 30, 2020, 11:01 am

Programs: BA (GGL-GFL); AC (SE)
Am currently in AC865 from LHR to YUL. There are two groups of three and one solo traveller in J. Am grateful for the space and distance and indeed this is what I was paying for. Shortly after boarding we were provided with a boxed meal with a hot entree - a simple pasta and tomato sauce. Was actually reasonably good. Not gourmet but airplane food never is! Overall my impression is that AC is prioritising the safety of its passengers and doing so in a very professional way.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 2:59 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RJBP
Am currently in AC865 from LHR to YUL. There are two groups of three and one solo traveller in J. Am grateful for the space and distance and indeed this is what I was paying for. Shortly after boarding we were provided with a boxed meal with a hot entree - a simple pasta and tomato sauce. Was actually reasonably good. Not gourmet but airplane food never is! Overall my impression is that AC is prioritising the safety of its passengers and doing so in a very professional way.
Interesting that they have added hot food. Lufthansa has been providing full service in J. My next transatlantic is YYZ-ZRH at the end of August - will be curious to see if there is a further return to "normal" service.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 6:43 am

Programs: SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive
Just flew LHR to YYZ yesterday, I was invited to use the LH lounge in A gates which had a very limited food selection, on board we were handed a black box modular meal, there was a box with some green salad, some kind of coleslaw and slices of cucumber, another box that had a hot pasta in what I believe was a mushroom sauce, 3 different cheeses and a packet of crushed crackers were in another compartment, then finally a bun and a wrapped brownie. My initial thought was that there should be a menu included so at least we know what we are eating in case of allergies.
There was a limited beverage service of bottles of white, red or Prosecco and cans of CANADIAN, the staff offered refills but largely spent most of the flight hanging out in the front galley
About 40 min before landing, which seemed a bit late, we got a second black box that had 3 sandwiches, egg & cress and some kind of mystery meat, a Devonshire scone with clotted cream and jam and some fruit. Again a menu card listing ingredients would have been nice.
overall it was an improvement over my outbound flight but with 15/40 in J is it so hard to say “ hello Mrs Xx are you joining us for lunch” instead of just dumping the box.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 8:47 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Originally Posted by MME2YYZ
Just flew LHR to YYZ yesterday, I was invited to use the LH lounge in A gates which had a very limited food selection, on board we were handed a black box modular meal, there was a box with some green salad, some kind of coleslaw and slices of cucumber, another box that had a hot pasta in what I believe was a mushroom sauce, 3 different cheeses and a packet of crushed crackers were in another compartment, then finally a bun and a wrapped brownie. My initial thought was that there should be a menu included so at least we know what we are eating in case of allergies.
There was a limited beverage service of bottles of white, red or Prosecco and cans of CANADIAN, the staff offered refills but largely spent most of the flight hanging out in the front galley
About 40 min before landing, which seemed a bit late, we got a second black box that had 3 sandwiches, egg & cress and some kind of mystery meat, a Devonshire scone with clotted cream and jam and some fruit. Again a menu card listing ingredients would have been nice.
overall it was an improvement over my outbound flight but with 15/40 in J is it so hard to say “ hello Mrs Xx are you joining us for lunch” instead of just dumping the box.
Food sounds okay, keep in mind that the menus are published online and on the AC app. However this might be a struggle for the elderly so I agree, they should give menus. It’s interesting to hear how the FAs just dumped the box, on my flight FA service went as usual (bottle water refills, etc). I’m still glad my return flight is on LX and not AC, as cautious as I am about COVID I don’t think I’m exposing myself to some particular risk by eating a proper meal vs a meal in a box.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K
What's AC's Int'l J Service Like These Days?

My last flight in late May left a lot to be desired when it came to meal service. Curious what the current offering is like as I'll be flying TXL-FRA-YUL-YOW-YYZ-VIE-TXL next month.

Thank you!
pilot007 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Yeah, I'm flying DXB-YYZ in J and curious as to what the catering will be like... I've read about the cutbacks, but seems odd that Asian and European carriers have full catering, yet US/Canadian ones seem to be using it as an excuse to under-cater and reduce options and offerings.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 11:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Originally Posted by capedreamer
My last flight in late May left a lot to be desired when it came to meal service. Curious what the current offering is like as I'll be flying TXL-FRA-YUL-YOW-YYZ-VIE-TXL next month.

Thank you!
Basically the regular express meal service, but watered down a little and served in a black box. Oh, and there are no meal choices. Try and switch to LH group if you can change for free (LX on the westbound and LH on the eastbound portion).
Old Oct 4, 2020, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyztozag
Basically the regular express meal service, but watered down a little and served in a black box. Oh, and there are no meal choices. Try and switch to LH group if you can change for free (LX on the westbound and LH on the eastbound portion).
Gotcha. Are they at least serving coffee again?
Old Oct 4, 2020, 5:40 pm
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Gotcha. Are they at least serving coffee again?
Just flew on AC 007 on October 1st and yes they are serving coffee and tea.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 5:45 pm
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
These are the meals on AC 007 on October 1st. The load was quite light, 5 in J, 2 in PE and 49 in Y.

Carfield and unclepants like this.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 6:56 pm

why don't they serve the meals in real dishware and stainless steel cutlery ? Risk of transmitting or catching COVID-19 from plating or washing the dishes ?
Old Oct 5, 2020, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsfrSE
Just flew on AC 007 on October 1st and yes they are serving coffee and tea.
Thanks! Good to know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.