Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Tracking credits from cancelled flights

Old May 20, 20, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Altitude 35K, AA, Marriott Silver Elite, NEXUS

I now have 3 cancelled flights with credits available for future travel (soon to be 4 probably). One was messy and I had to call in as it included LH legs. So all I have is the res agentís word about how much I should have when I re-book. I assume there is no way to see credit Amounts similar to when I log into My Bookings and see flights booked? Plunking in old pnrís doesn't work.....
Old May 20, 20, 2:58 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Originally Posted by cruzcap View Post
I now have 3 cancelled flights with credits available for future travel (soon to be 4 probably). One was messy and I had to call in as it included LH legs. So all I have is the res agentís word about how much I should have when I re-book. I assume there is no way to see credit Amounts similar to when I log into My Bookings and see flights booked? Plunking in old pnrís doesn't work.....
If you haven't flown any of the segments, you should just be able to look at your original booking confirmations to find the amounts. For bookings that have been partially flown, there's really nothing you can do at the moment, other than call in.
Old May 20, 20, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Altitude 35K, AA, Marriott Silver Elite, NEXUS
Right..but I guess I was meaning amounts and when they expire etc....in a way I was thinking they should show up under flight bookings but I guess the system was not built this way. I am sure AC will benefit from thousands missing their expiry dates over the next year.
Old May 20, 20, 8:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Right..but I guess I was meaning amounts and when they expire etc....in a way I was thinking they should show up under flight bookings but I guess the system was not built this way. I am sure AC will benefit from thousands missing their expiry dates over the next year.
No, there's currently no way to track it. AC claims they're working on something, but what it will look like when it's available (will you have to look up each PNR to find it, or will it come up when you log in like active bookings do, or are they working on getting away from the whole travel credit thing and implementing a WS-style travel bank, who knows) and how long that will be, who knows.

I suggest making note of the details yourself wherever is easiest for you to keep track of. I have a spreadsheet with all my eCoupons, discount codes, flight credits, etc. Or maybe put it in your Notes app. Whatever works for you.
cruzcap likes this.
Old May 20, 20, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE MM, SD Gold, SPG Gold
I have a simple spreadsheet that I use to keep all of this stuff straight.
canadiancow and cruzcap like this.
Old May 20, 20, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Gold, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by The Lev View Post
I have a simple spreadsheet that I use to keep all of this stuff straight.
Same. I have thousands of dollars of gift cards, eCoupons, and credits, all tracked with amounts and expiry dates in one place.

And yet I still forget to use the AC gift cards when I book flights
Bohemian1 and cruzcap like this.
Old May 20, 20, 11:29 pm

Hi all, been wrestling with Expedia about my cancelled holiday for a while now, received an email

Today about my cancelled itinerary, and that I can redeem Airline Credit when I'm ready to book a new trip.
Well I don't want to accept airline credit, and I don't plan on re-booking a new trip, so instead, I want a refund straight back into the bank account that I purchased the holiday package from.

Any ideas on if this is possible, or if ill is stuck with having to accept this 'airline credit' instead.

Thanks all, hope you're all well.
Old May 20, 20, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by clintondiya View Post
Hi all, been wrestling with Expedia about my cancelled holiday for a while now, received an email

Today about my cancelled itinerary, and that I can redeem Airline Credit when I'm ready to book a new trip.
Well I don't want to accept airline credit, and I don't plan on re-booking a new trip, so instead, I want a refund straight back into the bank account that I purchased the holiday package from.

Any ideas on if this is possible, or if ill is stuck with having to accept this 'airline credit' instead.
With this being your first post, welcome to FT

We can't offer much information unless you share more details. When you say "holiday package", was this a package holiday including flights and/or hotel and/or rental car and/or other activities, or are you just referring to flights? Did Air Canada cancel your flights, or did you make a decision to cancel your trip?

And when you say "bank account", to be clear, you paid directly from your account via Interac or something like that, rather than using a credit card?
Old May 21, 20, 9:37 am

Send an e mail refusing the voucher, and insist on your rights for a refund. Allow two weeks for a reply, then approach your credit card for a chargeback. At this point the cc will ask if you accepted vouchers and if you said yes, then they will refuse to initiate a chargeback as you have accepted an alternative resolution . www.airpassengerrights.ca have extensive info.
Old May 21, 20, 9:47 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
No, there's currently no way to track it. AC claims they're working on something, but what it will look like when it's available (will you have to look up each PNR to find it, or will it come up when you log in like active bookings do, or are they working on getting away from the whole travel credit thing and implementing a WS-style travel bank, who knows) and how long that will be, who knows.

I suggest making note of the details yourself wherever is easiest for you to keep track of. I have a spreadsheet with all my eCoupons, discount codes, flight credits, etc. Or maybe put it in your Notes app. Whatever works for you.
WestJet's Travel Bank is excellent. Everything is pooled into one account. Even if a cancelled ticket has multiple passengers.

I wish AC had it. Instead with AC, we need to keep track of all our cancelled booking ourselves, and if the new booking costs less than the original booking, then we forfeit the remaining value.
Bohemian1, unclepants and dr_torch like this.
Old May 21, 20, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Diabeetus View Post
WestJet's Travel Bank is excellent. Everything is pooled into one account. Even if a cancelled ticket has multiple passengers.
Is that so? I have a WS trip that I'll end up cancelling, but I'm still holding out hope that they'll be forced to offer cash refunds by the time I need to cancel it. I was under the impression that each person on the booking would get credit to their own travel bank. Is that not the case?

I wish AC had it. Instead with AC, we need to keep track of all our cancelled booking ourselves, and if the new booking costs less than the original booking, then we forfeit the remaining value.
If you're correct about the functioning of the WS travel bank, that's even better than I thought. I do hope that AC is working towards something like that, but I'm not optimistic.

Don't forget that with AC, you also have to pay the difference if the new ticket is more expensive
Old May 21, 20, 1:50 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
Is that so? I have a WS trip that I'll end up cancelling, but I'm still holding out hope that they'll be forced to offer cash refunds by the time I need to cancel it. I was under the impression that each person on the booking would get credit to their own travel bank. Is that not the case?

If you're correct about the functioning of the WS travel bank, that's even better than I thought. I do hope that AC is working towards something like that, but I'm not optimistic.

Don't forget that with AC, you also have to pay the difference if the new ticket is more expensive
Yes. Our family was party of 4. Only 2 of us has Westjet ID #'s (wife & I). One of the kids got sick, so we needed to cancel. The entire refunded fare for 4 ended up in my wife's travel bank. I'm not sure what would happen if everyone in the party has westjet ID#'s though.
Old Today, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Diabeetus View Post
Yes. Our family was party of 4. Only 2 of us has Westjet ID #'s (wife & I). One of the kids got sick, so we needed to cancel. The entire refunded fare for 4 ended up in my wife's travel bank. I'm not sure what would happen if everyone in the party has westjet ID#'s though.
WestJet can override where it's being refunded to which is within policy since travel bank funds are fully transferrable with no penalty or fee. Since I book travel for all my family, I opted to pool the travel bank of my family members, even though I wasn't traveling.

It's honestly a lot more user friendly (but almost certainly comes with less breakage) than Air Canada's old rules where it could only be applied to 1 ticket for the same passenger within 1 year.
hoipolloi likes this.
Old Today, 11:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy PLAT, Priority Pass, Star Alliance Gold
vouchers no longer expire

Expiry dates are no longer an issue. i.e. that one is settled.
Old Today, 1:05 pm

Next question? Can the multiple travel vouchers be combined towards one single new reservation ?

Say you have 2x $500 travel vouchers. Can you use them together to book a $1000+ flight ?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: