Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Trips not taken; where aren't you going in the next few months on AC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trips not taken; where aren't you going in the next few months on AC?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2020, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
No. I am not hopeful at all.
I have more faith in going to Iceland vs AB in August.
That makes no sense. Alberta does not have any travel restrictions in place. Unlike Eastern Canada, the West "requests" we do not travel, but there is nothing actually preventing it. Nor does Ontario ... were you planning on driving? That's the only potential problem I see today ... in August is a whole other thing.
Old May 22, 2020, 10:55 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
That makes no sense. Alberta does not have any travel restrictions in place. Unlike Eastern Canada, the West "requests" we do not travel, but there is nothing actually preventing it. Nor does Ontario ... were you planning on driving? That's the only potential problem I see today ... in August is a whole other thing.
No travel restrictions in place is exactly what worries me, with potential for second wave this fall and the country slowing open up - I see a higher risk of traveling to AB during that time vs traveling to a place with travel restrictions.

I prefer restrictions proposed by Iceland because of the fact they plan to conduct rapid testing upon entry - which will make the traveling in Iceland far more safer in my opinion.
Old May 23, 2020, 10:15 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Stranger
I would not be surprised if the talk about UK quarantine ends up not going anywhere; policy is not in place yet, merely talking about it. They don't have one right now, makes no sense imposing one later. And the airlines are very unhappy about it.
How does the UK not have some sort of quarantine in place now? That was the first thing everyone else did, even before they locked down their own citizens. Or is there just not one since everyone in the UK is supposed to be locked down and therefore it would be redundant to have one for travellers?

Regardless, they've now implemented it, as of June 8, so that's likely going to kill my UK trip with AC.

In the meantime Italy appears to be ready to open to foreign visitors. I don't think Portugal ever closed at all.
I was just in Portugal, but always love going to Italy... If AC is flying to FCO in July, which it looks like they will be, maybe that's an option...

Of course, if we're still imposing a quarantine on travellers, that will also kill it, since my wife needs to be able to go to work at the hospital without having to take off two weeks when we get back.
canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; May 23, 2020 at 10:21 pm
Old May 24, 2020, 6:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Let's please go back to just listing trips not taken rather than getting into the wider discussion of jurisdictions with or without travel restrictions which are really best discussed elsewhere.

tcook052
AC forum moderator
Old May 25, 2020, 8:01 am

I was in Peru when this all went down and thankfully got out before the country went on lockdown. Trips i've missed:
  • March/April: Peru
  • April/May : Mexico City

Trips I have planned but haven't booked flights for:
  • August: Athens,Greece
  • September: Florence, Italy
  • October/November: Gran Canaria, Spain
Old May 25, 2020, 11:05 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Other than my multiple work trips to US and Canada destinations incl SFO, YVR - I have also had work trip cancelled to LAS, ORD, MCO, MIA and a work junket trip to Panama which I was looking forward too as it was a resort on a beach within driving distance of the canal.
Personal trip cancelled for July to SJD and another one in Aug to Vietnam.
Old May 25, 2020, 1:29 pm

Programs: AC E50K, Skywards Silver
Booked & Cancelled:
YYZ-LGA
YYZ-HND
YYZ-YUL
YYZ-SYD
YYZ-LAS
YYZ-YHZ

Not booked, but no longer going:
YYZ-PUJ
YYZ-MAD/FCO - hadn't decided where to take vacation.
Old May 25, 2020, 4:13 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
So far this year, canceled are YOW to:
BCN
FCO
CDG
ICN / DEL / BOM
LHR
FLL
LAS

I'm so glad I got to go to AKL / SYD / BKK and trips to the UK, US & Caribbean in 2020 before everything shut down.

I can't see going anywhere else until destination and return quarantines are lifted, and who knows when that might be. We've canceled all conferences & events until 2021, and international in-person business meetings are not going to resume any time soon in my industry either.

Last edited by RatherBeInYOW; May 25, 2020 at 4:18 pm
Old May 25, 2020, 8:18 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BW Diamond Select
YYZ-SCL-BA/SCL-YYZ was booked for early July.

I cancelled as Argentina is closed to international travel until September.

Took the full voucher as opting for a refund would have gotten me about one-fifth of the ticket's price at time of purchase.
Old May 26, 2020, 2:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE 100K, NEXUS, IHG Rewards
Mr. Ratsy and I had to cancel
  • Montreal in March
  • Taiwan in April
  • Hongkong in May
and put off planning for
  • Edinburgh in July
  • Stockholm in August
At least we managed to get to Lisbon in February, before everything shut down.
Old May 27, 2020, 4:49 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC
Booked and Cancelled: Huatalco/Mexico City (March)
Kathmandu (april)

Not booked but pending: Malawi in May.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 11:24 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
EWR, CLT, BNE, YQB (through to October).
Old Jun 14, 2020, 11:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Washinton DC in mid July.

Barcelona Spain in mid Sept.

Both are for oncology medical conferences - both have become virtual.

So I will stay put in Ottawa - I would not have gone to either city even if the conferences were held in original on-site format.

Of note, I had bought a P class ticket to Barcelona in Feb. My travel agent called SE desk - got full credit (not a refund) in the form of a no-expiration purchase voucher - which can be used for 1 booking, or split and used for several bookings.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 5:36 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Moved Peru, again - this time to April 2021. Very apprehensive about booking new flights despite having confirmed land - the flights YYZ-LIM are still showing Rouge 767's which are likely not to be in the fleet by then...
Old Jun 14, 2020, 11:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott, SPG
We are still in China and have had to cancel a few trips that we were really looking forward to:

Boracay
Seoul
Vancouver (2x)
Osaka

the only flight we have been able to take this year is to Sanya (SYX)

Not sure when I can travel again, our problem is that I am not Chinese so if I leave China I cannot return; it looks like this restriction will be in place until Oct

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.