Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Trips not taken; where aren't you going in the next few months on AC?

Trips not taken; where aren't you going in the next few months on AC?

Old May 21, 20, 8:30 am
isi

So far
LHR 1 Cancelled;
HEL 1 Cancelled;
GVA 1 planned not booked
HKG 1 Cancelled;
EWR 1 Cancelled;
BDL 1 Cancelled

Rest of the year planned but not yet booked, because who knows...
LHR 1 planned not booked
HEL 1 planned not booked
ZHR 2 planned not booked
HKG 1 planned not yet booked
EWR 2 planned not yet booked
Old May 21, 20, 8:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
All Vacation
March: YHZ-YYZ-SCL cancelled
March: SAN-YYC-YHZ cancelled
May: YHZ-YYZ-MIA RT cancelled
August: YHZ-YDF RT cancelled
November: YHZ-YYZ-LHR-BCN cruise cancelled but leaving airfare for now to see if a waiver will pop up so we can rebook them for next year. Otherwise we'll cancel and AMEX cancellation insurance will kick in.
Old May 21, 20, 11:52 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
I was thinking that with this talk of the UK subjecting visitors to a 14-day quarantine on arrival, my LHR/Scotland trip was looking less and less likely, and now AC has gone and cancelled my YYC-LHR and LHR-YYC flights, so the chances are becoming infinitessimal... I guess that's another 220K Aeroplan and $900 or so that I'll get back.
canadiancow likes this.
Old May 21, 20, 2:38 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I take it the $900 is mostly YQ?
Old May 21, 20, 2:51 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Originally Posted by Bohemian1 View Post
I take it the $900 is mostly YQ?
No YQ, since it was booked from my account. UK taxes are the killer. I went and looked it up. Total $445.91 per ticket:
  • ATSC $25.91
  • YYC AIF $30
  • AC YR (BS fee formerly known as NAVCAN) $30
  • GST $1.50
  • UK APD $283.40
  • UK Passenger Service Charge $75.10

I did actually initially get very excited when booking this trip, because there was I space available for exactly the flights I wanted, unlike pretty much every other international trip I've taken in recent years (i.e. no IKK needed). So I thought I'd book this out of my wife's or my dad's account to save my valuable SE miles.

But I nearly choked when I saw over $1,000 (per ticket!) of YQ. Then went and booked it out of my account.
canadiancow and Bohemian1 like this.
Old May 22, 20, 7:27 am

Programs: AC P25K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Gold, Avis P/P
YXU-CUN in June. Also, all my home breaks were cancelled so far. I arrived here on AA but I was looking for a way to move my traveling here to the AC/UA combo. But until the quarantine rules here don't change, no home breaks for me (I'm not subject to quarantine in Canada).

Last edited by WildcatYXU; May 22, 20 at 8:01 am
Old May 22, 20, 7:56 am

Programs: AC 50K, WS Rewards, DL SkyMiles, UA MP, Priority Pass, AMEX MR, NEXUS, H-Honors Silver, M-Bonvoy
I've had to cancel the following so far this year:

- YDF for a skiing trip
- YYR for a visit with close family friends
- YHZ for a school competition
- LHR/ATH/JTR for a vacation
- YYZ for a school competition

Numerous other trips were planned, but I (thankfully) had not booked anything yet when the pandemic hit. I was well on track for E35K this year but it looks like I will be stuck with P25K for another year, unfortunately.
Old May 22, 20, 9:37 am

Programs: Altitude, World of Hyatt
Four cancelled business trips to San Diego so far. Was thinking of going home to see the family during summer time this year but that's kind of out the window. Have a return trip YUL-EWR-FRA-GOT booked via Aeroplan for November so hopefully I get to see them this year. Wouldn't surprise me at all if that trip gets cancelled though depending on how things develop.
Old May 22, 20, 9:54 am

Programs: Altitude E50K , Gold Marriott
Cancelled a wonderful getaway to Zihuatanejo in March with a flight pass. Planning to go to London and Croatia in June.
Visiting Patagonia in December to see the global eclipse. Sprinkle 3-4 trips in from YVR to YYZ in between those dates for work.

I miss flying and being away!
Old May 22, 20, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
I was thinking that with this talk of the UK subjecting visitors to a 14-day quarantine on arrival, my LHR/Scotland trip was looking less and less likely, and now AC has gone and cancelled my YYC-LHR and LHR-YYC flights, so the chances are becoming infinitessimal...
I would not be surprised if the talk about UK quarantine ends up not going anywhere; policy is not in place yet, merely talking about it. They don't have one right now, makes no sense imposing one later. And the airlines are very unhappy about it.

In the meantime Italy appears to be ready to open to foreign visitors. I don't think Portugal ever closed at all.

Anyway, to me the real issue will be, will European countries be able to have policies distinguishing between Canada and the US. When we are in a situation that is by and large not worse than them, but the US is another story.

We also cancelled all travel until September. But mostly because the events were cancelled. And because the US is closed so we cannot visit our son and grand kids.
Old May 22, 20, 10:25 am

Programs: AC SEMM
cancelled so far:
UIO
YVR
CDG 3x

Still vaguely planned before end of year:
YVR
CDG 3x
FCO
SYD-AKL

Mileage (AQM) so far in 2020: 0 (as in zero). Busy with other matters in Jan-Feb.

Last edited by run&fly; May 23, 20 at 4:42 am
Old May 22, 20, 9:55 pm

Programs: AC:50K
Cancelled so far (from YVR): IAD, SFO, YOW.

Never was definite but now no longer being planned: AKL.

Would have happened without COVID-19 and will probably be cancelled: VIE, LAS, HNL.

I'm very glad that my Altitude status was extended for next year!
Old May 22, 20, 10:05 pm

Programs: Eupgrade4Lyfe, Gifted E50K, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Peru - April
Bermuda - May
Europe for July
Alberta for August
Iceland is looking very unlikely for September

The good news is that I decided to hold off buying tickets in Jan when it looks it COVID-19 may be bigger than expected - thus not tied up with otherwise thousands of dollars in vouchers from United and AC.

I am pretty sure whole year is scrubbed out at this point. I would consider pure luck If I am still able to head to Australia or Hawaii this Christmas.

So pissed at whoever decided they had to have that damn bat soup - I was gonna make E50K this year on my own!
Old May 22, 20, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack View Post
Peru - April
Bermuda - May
Europe for July
Alberta for August
Iceland is looking very unlikely for September

I am pretty sure whole year is scrubbed out at this point. I would consider pure luck If I am still able to head to Australia or Hawaii this Christmas
You don't think you'll be able to make a domestic trip in August?
Old May 22, 20, 10:07 pm

Programs: Eupgrade4Lyfe, Gifted E50K, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
You don't think you'll be able to make a domestic trip in August?
No. I am not hopeful at all.
I have more faith in going to Iceland vs AB in August.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: