Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC to lay off half of workforce amid COVID crisis: internal memo

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC to lay off half of workforce amid COVID crisis: internal memo

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2020, 5:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by eigenvector
That's 40 hours a week for $350, or less than minimum wage.
Would that be legal?
Old May 16, 2020, 9:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by eigenvector
In reference to the discussions about how much it actually costs AC to keep an employee on with CEWS vs layoff, what are the minimum hours to be paid under the CBA for a flight attendant who isn't actually flying? What about a captain or FO?

With most of the fleet grounded, surely being paid minimums while not actually being called in is quite common among flight, cabin and airport workers.

For unionized full-time office workers, I agree that AC likely has no ability to unilaterally reduce pay other than layoff unless the unions come to the table to make a deal. Although from the worker's perspective, receiving the bare minimum from CEWS while still working full-time vs layoff and receiving CERB may not be so attractive. That's 40 hours a week for $350, or less than minimum wage.
CEWS makes no reference to hours. It is about the number of dollars per day.

Where a flight attendant may be at a disadvantage is they are probably taking home a combination of pay and per diem. The per diem is to cover meals and other expenses while away from the home and for that reason is tax free and does not count as income. Someone who is frugal may chose to eat at Tim Hortons and pocket the excess. If they are not flying they still have to buy food but don't have the per diem.

It has been a number of years since I was in a management role in a federally regulated industry. I don't believe there is a minimum wage in the federal labor code, instead I believe it say to apply the same minimum wage as the province of residency but I could be wrong.
Old May 16, 2020, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Would that be legal?
Well the actual earnings would be $847/week, I'm just comparing it to the $500/week you can currently collect without working at all if you're laid off due to the pandemic. Normally, people don't have a choice of layoff or reduced pay, but AC employees may very well be facing that choice through their union.
canadiancow likes this.
Old May 17, 2020, 8:45 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Indeed. Air Canada has no shame. Leeches, all of them.

Bohemian1 likes this.
Old May 18, 2020, 12:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by AltaBound
You don't think these conversations are not going on at Westet? The airline industry is going to be much smaller by the time this ends. IMHO Air Canada is doing what it needs to do to be a survivor. It is not going to be pretty.
If they are it is the wrong discussion. Both these airlines need to figure out how to get their overhead cost down.

The federal government giving air Canada money to keep people at home is not a reasonable use of tax payer money.

One thing we desperately need is to for AC and WS to start to interline. With cities like Saskatoon, Victoria, Halifax, Ottawa getting so few flights a day is insane how difficult it is to fly between two cities.

Any government support should be modest and come with strings attached. There needs to be path for the government to get its money back out when all is said and done.
AltaBound, 24left and eigenvector like this.

Last edited by tcook052; May 18, 2020 at 2:07 pm Reason: Off topic
Old May 18, 2020, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland
If they are it is the wrong discussion. Both these airlines need to figure out how to get their overhead cost down.

The federal government giving air Canada money to keep people at home is not a reasonable use of tax payer money .
Weather it's CWES or EI, the employees are likely to end up on some form of government funding.
Fiordland likes this.
Old May 19, 2020, 11:41 am

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Please note that a number of posts about the wider, lingering effects of COVID-19 on Air Canada beyond these layoffs have been moved to a better venue for continued discussions so please find those posts in this thread.

Regards,

tcook052
AC forum moderator
Old May 21, 2020, 12:53 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Air Canada to stop emergency wage subsidy; thousands of job cuts will leave workers out in the cold: union

Air Canada will not continue to use the federal emergency wage subsidy and has instead given employees the option of unpaid leaves, reduced work hours or resigning, the union representing the airline’s flight attendants said Thursday.
Old May 21, 2020, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
don't ban me please

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2020/05/air-canada-ceo-claims-company-is-too-busy-firing-employees-to-refund-passengers/

Air Canada CEO claims company is too busy firing employees to refund passengers

The Beaverton spot-on, as usual
Stranger, Adam Smith and hoipolloi like this.
Old May 29, 2020, 4:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Lay-off notices have gone out to FAs according to my sources...
Old Jan 13, 2021, 8:56 am

Update: Air Canada announces 1,700 layoffs

Air Canada says it is reducing its first-quarter capacity by 25 per cent, a move that will mean the loss of about 1,700 jobs at the airline.

The Montreal-based carrier says the cuts will also affect more than 200 employees at its Express carriers.

Air Canada says with the cuts its capacity in the first quarter of 2021 will be about 20 per cent of what it operated in the first quarter of 2019.

Air Canada announces 1,700 layoffs, suspends more routes in Atlantic Canada - CityNews Toronto

Another article on Global News: (1) Air Canada to cut approximately 1,700 jobs | Globalnews.ca
Old Jan 13, 2021, 9:48 am

Staff Surplus – February 2021

https://accomponent.ca/staff-surplus-february-2021/

The Company advised us this morning of a staffing surplus due to a significantly reduced flying schedule related to a reduction in customer demand. The approximate surplus is 730 active mainline members and 100 active Rouge members. The staff reductions will take effect with the start of the February 2021 block month.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 10:20 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
AC News Release

Air Canada Implements Additional Capacity and Workforce Reductions

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/Air-...rce-Reductions
Old Jan 18, 2021, 6:54 pm

Union: AC pocketing federal wage subsidy money instead of passing it to workers

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...ving-Thousands
The union representing 9,000 flight attendants at Air Canada says the airline is pocketing federal wage supports to pad their bottom line, and leaving thousands of its employees behind.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 4:40 pm

If I understand the article correctly , the union is upset that AC is not prepared to take a hit for ~ 60% of a non working (laid-off) employees salary. Given the uncertainty in the travel market and given that the government is hinting at trying to stop all travel in the short-term it seems to be a reasonable business decision to me. AC needs to preserve cash given the current situation. Yes I know, some of the methods they have chosen to use to preserve cash (no refunds) are questionable at best.

I am struggling with how an organization losing money hand over fist is "padding its bottom line" with a 35% wage subsidy. The reality of the situation is the flights are not profitable to operate right now. Without the subsidy I suspect that the route cancellations would have been more numerous.
YZF_Elite likes this.

Last edited by AltaBound; Jan 24, 2021 at 9:58 pm Reason: grammar correction

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.