Avianca bankruptcy and aeroplan

Old May 11, 20, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Avianca bankruptcy and aeroplan

Avianca files for bankruptcy:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/11/busin...-11/index.html

I have Aeroplan rewards booked with Avianca in December. Even if cv-19 travel restrictions were lifted by then, this does not bode well. Will wait to hear from aeroplan.
Old May 11, 20, 9:14 am

Programs: AC*SE100K, Wyndham dimond, Amex Plat Cnd & USA, Canadian army vet, Yoga teacher.
If they do go bankrupt you will get your points back. So you are ok.
Old May 11, 20, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Obviously, I will have to rebook my return flight SCL to YYZ. They are still showing avianca flights. No AC reward direct flights in business class.
Old May 11, 20, 9:25 am

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
At this time, AV is attempting to restructure itself and continue operations post-bankruptcy, so your flights for later this year should still be intact.

If AV exits *A as a result of the insolvency, or goes in to liquidation, then your flights are definitely at risk.

Either way, Aeroplan should treat this like a regular schedule change and try to re-route you. If there's X or I space available on a similar routing, you're golden. The challenge is if you had flights booked on a route where there's no obvious *A alternative, e.g. BOG-UIO, LIM-CUZ. In that case, if you're fortunate, Aeroplan may buy a revenue ticket on another airline for you. Or they may just tell you you're on your own for those legs.

I wouldn't worry too much about it for now, because there's so much uncertainty as to what travel restrictions and schedules will be like that far out.
unclepants likes this.
Old May 11, 20, 9:28 am

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Originally Posted by dosto View Post
Obviously, I will have to rebook my return flight SCL to YYZ. They are still showing avianca flights. No AC reward direct flights in business class.
AV isn't shutting down completely at the moment. They're still selling tickets for fall/winter.
​​​​​​
If you're going from SCL to YYZ and your flights do get cancelled, Aeroplan has the ability to open up space on AC, even if there's no award availability.
Old May 11, 20, 9:31 am
Original Poster

OK thanks.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: