Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Points Expands Partnership with Aeroplan

Old May 7, 2020, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Press release couple hours ago.

“We are thankful to be able to support our partner, Aeroplan, with the launch of their reimagined loyalty program coming later this year,” said Rob MacLean, CEO of Points. “By deepening our partnership with Aeroplan and Air Canada long term, we look forward to making their loyalty currency even more flexible and appealing to members for when they’re ready to travel once again.”

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-r...-Aeroplan.html
tcook052 likes this.
Old May 7, 2020, 3:43 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
No mention of the utter disaster that was the website during this morning's promotion, of course.

I still don't see where the value-add is for Aeroplan in this partnership.
Old May 7, 2020, 3:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I still don't see where the value-add is for Aeroplan in this partnership.
Aeroplan already has the ability to credit your account with miles.
Aeroplan already has the ability to accept credit card payments.

What are we missing?
Old May 7, 2020, 3:45 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Aeroplan already has the ability to credit your account with miles.
Aeroplan already has the ability to accept credit card payments.

What are we missing?
That's what I keep asking myself
Old May 7, 2020, 3:57 pm

Programs: hahaha
For consumers, don't they facilitate transfers between different points programs? https://www.points.com/personal/loyalty-partners/

This page gives me a hint on what behind-the-scenes services they could provide to AC: https://company.points.com/ but obviously nothing concrete is revealed here. I wouldn't be surprised if they used points.com (on the back-end?) to facilitate points transfers from hotel programs, or some kind of consulting for the design of AC's new program. I think my wildest guess would be points.com used as a currency swapping business (in both real cash and foreign points currencies) kinda like Transferwise's business model. My guess falls apart when I think that AC happily accepts USD when it comes to US AMEX purchasing Aeroplan miles in bulk or Bonvoy-rich folk transfer to Aeroplan.

Other programs, like AA or Bonvoy use points.com for miles purchases, just like Aeroplan. Could there be another common thread between these three programs partnering with points.com?
Old May 7, 2020, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by asovse1
For consumers, don't they facilitate transfers between different points programs? https://www.points.com/personal/loyalty-partners/
Yes. But that existed independently of acting as the storefront for various programs to sell their points. And as I pointed out in another thread, when you go to buy points from DL, which is also a points.com partner, it's all done on the DL website.

This page gives me a hint on what behind-the-scenes services they could provide to AC: https://company.points.com/ but obviously nothing concrete is revealed here. I wouldn't be surprised if they used points.com (on the back-end?) to facilitate points transfers from hotel programs, or some kind of consulting for the design of AC's new program. I think my wildest guess would be points.com used as a currency swapping business (in both real cash and foreign points currencies) kinda like Transferwise's business model. My guess falls apart when I think that AC happily accepts USD when it comes to US AMEX purchasing Aeroplan miles in bulk or Bonvoy-rich folk transfer to Aeroplan.

Other programs, like AA or Bonvoy use points.com for miles purchases, just like Aeroplan. Could there be another common thread between these three programs partnering with points.com?
What is confusing to me and cow is that pretty much everything on that page is stuff that Aeroplan has already been doing for itself for quite some time. Selling points, converting hotel points to Aeroplan, even converting from one program to another, all have been around for years without points.com.
Old May 7, 2020, 6:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Points.com is a great way to get 10 percent (or less) of the value of your points.
hoipolloi likes this.
Old May 7, 2020, 7:06 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by asovse1

AA processes miles purchases directly.
asovse1 likes this.
Old May 9, 2020, 7:54 am

Programs: AC*SE, Wyndham Dimond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat CND & USA, active military, Yoga teacher.
The big disadvantage for using points.com for many people is that it does not code as travel for your credit card.
right now you would get 4% back with amex for everday spend like points.com but you would get 8% back if it was with aircanada.

this may be a reason to use there site.

Or it could be Air Canada has so many IT issues it was easier to pay some one to do it wile there IT people fixed other problems.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.