Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan Miles Sales - May 7-15th 2020

Aeroplan Miles Sales - May 7-15th 2020

Old May 14, 2020, 10:58 am
  #421  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier
Posts: 587
I bought miles at about 10:35 Eastern time, and got 90% I am not sure what al the whining is about, I don't go on ticketmaster and cry because I did not get front row seats because their website was too busy at 9:01 AM why is this different? And yes I clearly saw I was getting a 90% bonus and not 110% or 65Received: by Thu, 7 May 2020 07:49:49 -0700 (PDT)
tcook052, mcbg1, Plumber and 1 others like this.
dgparent is offline  
Old May 14, 2020, 11:59 am
  #422  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Posts: 44,033
Originally Posted by SkyElite
Same. I logged in before 10AM, and CLICKED ON the buy miles at 115% link right after 10AM. So the purchase page showed the bonus amount (though payment wasn't processed successfully).

Basically, the purchase page (before your payment information is taken and processed) showed the total miles including any bonus miles. That was very clear. Regardless of logging in time, the purchase page was like a binding contract - you get what's on that page. I always make sure to look at the miles total before buying.
Except I've already given an example of another AC promotion where the bonus miles were not indicated anywhere during the purchase flow, so the only reason your argument makes any sense is because that's how it worked here, not because that's how it generally works, or has worked in the past.
canadiancow is online now  
Old May 14, 2020, 4:59 pm
  #423  
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: Air Canada 35K, Hilton HHonors Diamond; Marriot Gold; Hertz Presidents Circle
Posts: 67
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Except I've already given an example of another AC promotion where the bonus miles were not indicated anywhere during the purchase flow, so the only reason your argument makes any sense is because that's how it worked here, not because that's how it generally works, or has worked in the past.
also in addition you can assume that everyone is well experienced in purchasing miles online. Yes if you are only polling those on the FT forums - then yes most have experience. But I guarantee there were several first time mileage purchases who got excited by this promo that wouldnt have known the difference between the mileage pages.

my question is - outside of the gripes we have seen here at FT how many other people were in this boat? Like I said when I initially called in on the 7th there was over an hour hold time for people just with this issue
Paupaaa is offline  
Old May 14, 2020, 5:16 pm
  #424  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Posts: 44,033
Originally Posted by Paupaaa
also in addition you can assume that everyone is well experienced in purchasing miles online. Yes if you are only polling those on the FT forums - then yes most have experience. But I guarantee there were several first time mileage purchases who got excited by this promo that wouldnt have known the difference between the mileage pages.
This was my first time buying miles.

Originally Posted by Paupaaa
my question is - outside of the gripes we have seen here at FT how many other people were in this boat? Like I said when I initially called in on the 7th there was over an hour hold time for people just with this issue
I don't know anyone who would buy miles and isn't on FT
canopus27 likes this.
canadiancow is online now  
Old May 14, 2020, 5:53 pm
  #425  
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE MM, FB Gold, DL PM, WS Plat, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Posts: 16,507
Originally Posted by dgparent
I bought miles at about 10:35 Eastern time, and got 90% I am not sure what al the whining is about, I don't go on ticketmaster and cry because I did not get front row seats because their website was too busy at 9:01 AM why is this different? And yes I clearly saw I was getting a 90% bonus and not 110% or 65
Ticketmaster doesn't allow you to jump the queue by signing on to the event site and going to the checkout page with your tickets before they put them on sale. Aeroplan did that, and people who had logged on to the page before the sale started are mad (with some justification) that they didn't get the bonus they thought they were getting.

I also seem to recall that Ticketmaster, and retailers with big sales, generally figured out use of things like online waiting rooms 10-15 years ago, so that people didn't have to reload their pages hundreds of times to try to get in to buy their tickets/TVs/whatever. If I had signed on at the appointed time, been plunked in a waiting room for a few minutes, and then been told the 115% bonus had run out, it would have been disappointing but not a big deal. But getting an error message hundreds and hundreds of times and having to keep trying to reload the page is annoying.

It was poor execution on the part of Aeroplan/points.com, pure and simple.
canadiancow and Bohemian1 like this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; May 14, 2020 at 6:09 pm Reason: Clarification
Adam Smith is offline  
Old May 14, 2020, 6:17 pm
  #426  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,946
Deleted
King Chung Huang likes this.

Last edited by mileageking; Mar 25, 2021 at 4:00 am
mileageking is offline  
Old May 14, 2020, 6:26 pm
  #427  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Windsor/Detroit
Programs: AC*SE, Wyndham Dimond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat CND & USA, active military, Yoga teacher.
Posts: 148
they extend the sale till the 15th of may.
LesDorgo is offline  
Old May 14, 2020, 6:42 pm
  #428  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Posts: 44,033
Originally Posted by mileageking
Quick summary on those FTs that purchased at 115% and posted success in this thread:


Wouldn't be surprised if 50%+ of first 10MM were bought by FTs including those that posted success but didn't report exact # of miles (? in table) and those that didn't post in this thread.
Haha awesome work.

If we assume the unknown quantities were the average, it's approaching 3 million.
canadiancow is online now  
Old May 14, 2020, 7:32 pm
  #429  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,946
Clearly have way too much time in my hands today

Last edited by mileageking; Mar 25, 2021 at 4:02 am
mileageking is offline  
Old May 14, 2020, 7:37 pm
  #430  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 18,877
Originally Posted by mileageking
Clearly have way too much time in my hands today
.....
But I'll bet you had fun and look at the result of your efforts.
24left is offline  
Old May 14, 2020, 7:40 pm
  #431  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,946
Originally Posted by 24left
But I'll bet you had fun and look at the result of your efforts.
Blame you my friend for starting this thread
24left likes this.
mileageking is offline  
Old May 15, 2020, 8:37 am
  #432  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: YQB
Programs: Aeroplan 75K, WoH Explorist
Posts: 125
To add an additional data point. Purchased 30 000 miles at 10:07 EST with a 115% bonus.
SweFlyer is offline  
Old May 15, 2020, 8:39 am
  #433  
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy
Posts: 9
Here are my data points: Purchased 150,000 miles at 10:08 EST with a 115% bonus.
Aspiring Traveler is offline  
Old May 15, 2020, 9:26 am
  #434  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,946
Deleted

Last edited by mileageking; Mar 25, 2021 at 4:02 am
mileageking is offline  
Old May 15, 2020, 10:47 am
  #435  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Posts: 3,127
Your chart says the time when people posted to FT, which is fine - but if you wanted purchase time, I received my confirmation email at 10:07am
canadiancow likes this.
canopus27 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.