Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada mailing out copies of enRoute during COVID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada mailing out copies of enRoute during COVID

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2020, 11:44 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
I never got one.....
Old May 1, 2020, 11:58 am

Programs: AC SE100*1MM; Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Another update to AC's service offerings in the COVID-19 world: I got a copy of April's enRoute in the mail today. Anyone else get it?

I presume they figure it's better to spend some money on mailing them out rather than letting them go to waste. I also wonder whether this saves them from having to reimburse any of their advertisers?
how did you get the enRoute mag? I’d love to receive the magazine....is there a contact email to subscribe it?
Old May 1, 2020, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Great post I love these (somewhat rare) occasions when some of us are able to use our non-IT professional expertise around here
Thanks

It's an interesting question. At the end of March, AC was still somewhat bullish about the schedule normalizing somewhat by late April, so even if they did a reduced print run, they may still have a bunch of copies. The other question is what their contract is like with whoever prints it for them, as well as the advertisers. If they've already taken the advertisers' money, and are committed to paying the printer whether they print it or not, they may just run it anyway and mail it out. If they have lots of flexibility in those deals, then maybe they shut it down altogether.

There are a number of chess pieces. AC or the magazine sales' reps on behalf of AC, could have been in communication with the paid advertisers as this situation was unfolding and asking them if they wanted to run their ads. Or, some clients may have called in saying they want to cancel. If you cancel after deadline, there is usually a cancel penalty but there are always situations where ads can be pulled without penalty.

The printing part of the equation can be the same. There is an agreement to go to press and a decision was (or is) made to run the issue or not.

We don't know what the specific agreements and contracts may have been between the magazine and the advertisers.

The media kit lists the monthly circulation as 120,375. I see various readership and demographic info, but I don't see the distribution info, that is, how many copies are onboard flights, how many are in MLLs and how many are distributed elsewhere and to clients.

Using a bulk mail rate with Canada Post might have been worth it for AC to decide to mail to some Altitude/Aeroplan members.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 1:42 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
I never got one.....
Maybe they are only sending these out to people who cancelled flights. In lieu of a full refund.
Old May 1, 2020, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by lespoir
how did you get the enRoute mag? I’d love to receive the magazine....is there a contact email to subscribe it?
Issues are available to review online here: https://issuu.com/spafax/stacks/6cda...4e61f69d8e0b84
The magazine indicates that print subscriptions are available for $60 per year within Canada, but I couldn't find an easy way to subscribe. Perhaps try emailing them at [email protected]
24left likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 1:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE 100 IHG Plat Amb Nexus
I got one.

Copy came a few days ago..
Old May 1, 2020, 1:58 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by lespoir
how did you get the enRoute mag?
It just showed up in my mailbox
Old May 1, 2020, 2:45 pm

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
Received today.
Old May 1, 2020, 3:02 pm

Please scan and upload here. Thanks.
flyquiet likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 3:22 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by d00little
Please scan and upload here. Thanks.
Umm... Is this a joke? You know the whole thing is online, right?

enRoute website (current issue)

April issue
Old May 1, 2020, 4:36 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
No enRoute for this YOW-based SE.
--
13F
Old May 1, 2020, 4:56 pm

Programs: AC E50K (MM) FB (Platinum)
I (E50K MM) received a copy today (May 1). Ms SWMBO Stanbury (E50K) did not. But no problem, she has appropriated my copy which suits both of us.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 5:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by cedric
Issues are available to review online here: https://issuu.com/spafax/stacks/6cda...4e61f69d8e0b84
The magazine indicates that print subscriptions are available for $60 per year within Canada, but I couldn't find an easy way to subscribe. Perhaps try emailing them at [email protected]
The fact they offer it means it is a distribution channel they have already setup. They are just bumping the number of copies for print subscription.

Not certain who the print copy would normally go to or why someone would pay $60 for it. A few months ago my company moved into an office that use to belong to a travel agency. It is shocking the amount of print material going into our mail box on a daily basis.
Old May 1, 2020, 7:05 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I presume they figure it's better to spend some money on mailing them out rather than letting them go to waste. I also wonder whether this saves them from having to reimburse any of their advertisers?
This is all about honoring their commitment to advertisers, who paid to have their message appear before x-number of eyeballs. The postage cost is far, far less expensive than make-goods on existing ad contracts.

Originally Posted by Fiordland
They could easily print fewer of them. I have a feeling it has more to do with keeping the advertisers happy and keeping AC front of mind for all the frequent flyers who someday will want to fly again.
No, they can't easily print fewer of them. Ad sales are predicated on x-number of copies going into circulation, so if they want to keep the ad money they better get those copies in front of reader eyeballs one way or another. Postage is expensive, but still far cheaper than a make-good to every advertiser because they didn't hold up their end.

Beyond that, print contracts are typically multi-year affairs with concrete numbers ... you can't just call up and alter the quantity a couple of weeks before you go to press, that's not how it works.
Old May 2, 2020, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

enRoute magazine found YSB SE member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.