Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Travel at Home - Reach Air Canada Altitude status without leaving home

Old Apr 26, 2020, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
APRIL 26 2020
Post 182 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32327089-post182.html
Contains screen shots of all of the detailed T&C on the Travel at Home Promo as per this Aeroplan link
https://www.aeroplan.com/travelathome.do
If you find that something in this version does not match any info you have, please post updates.

Discussion of how some terms were retroactively modified on April 23/24:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32322298-post179.html
Print Wikipost

Travel at Home - Reach Air Canada Altitude status without leaving home

Old May 22, 2020, 3:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Is that part of the promo still running? I looked on the Travel at Home page and didn't see reference to it.
https://web.archive.org/web/20200408...om/covid-19.do

It was through April 30.
jerry305 and Adam Smith like this.
Old May 22, 2020, 4:19 pm

Maybe they are fixing it. I don't see the travel from home page anymore.
Old May 22, 2020, 4:52 pm

Wow.

https://www.aeroplan.com/travelathome.do

May 5 (https://web.archive.org/web/20200505...velathome.do#/):

May 22:
Plumber and Bohemian1 like this.
Old May 23, 2020, 1:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy - Ambassador, Air Canada Aeroplan - Super Elite
Still holding my breath on the "Donate 125k miles and receive 25k AQM. Aside from 125k miles immediately coming out of my account, I received no notification they qualified for this promotion. Or any correspondence saying 25k AQM would be deposited sometime before 15 Dec 2020( I donated to one of the listed charities and within the promotion time frame)

simply waiting until Dec to see if the AQM show up is a little unnerving. My inquiry just had them point me to the terms and conditions.
canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by piperdown; May 23, 2020 at 1:55 pm
Old May 23, 2020, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by piperdown
Still holding my breath on the "Donate 125k miles and receive 25k AQM. Aside from 125k miles immediately coming out of my account, I received no notification they qualified for this promotion. Or any correspondence saying 25k AQM would be deposited sometime before 15 Dec 2020( I donated to one of the listed charities and within the promotion time frame)

simply waiting until Dec to see if the AQM show up is a little unnerving. My inquiry just had them point me to the terms and conditions.
If I had to guess, I'd say they don't want these AQM to count towards the 250k for TAH, so they're waiting until after they finish processing those sweeps to deposit the donation bonus. And since they've said credit card statements that close in June are eligible, my guess is sometime in July.

On the other hand, TAH says "Unless otherwise stipulated, all Aeroplan Miles credited to the Eligible Participant's Aeroplan account based on activity during the Offer Period shall qualify for the Offer."

So per the terms, I think if you donated after April 20, it SHOULD count. But I've had too many debates over these terms already, and this one doesn't affect me at all.
Old May 23, 2020, 5:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy - Ambassador, Air Canada Aeroplan - Super Elite
i suppose I am not as concerned with the date the AQM show up as I am with the lack of acknowledgement my donated miles will grant me X amount of AQM.

in a " perfect scenario " i imagine something like this. " Thank-you for your donation of XX Aeroplan miles to charity. Your donation qualifies you to receive X Altitude Qualifying Miles. Please allow up until Dec 15 for your account to be updated"

Instead , i received nothing but the removal of aeroplan miles - and the transaction record.. Apr 21, 2020 DEBIT-DONATION MILEAGE -125,000 -

no " warm and fuzzy".... not even an email.
canopus27 and canadiancow like this.
Old May 23, 2020, 9:38 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus, Global Entry
Question

Aeroplan site is down so can't find the answer.
What is the 1,500 Travel at Home that went in and out of my Ap account?
Old May 23, 2020, 10:02 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by taupo
One of the TAH bonuses is 1,500 AQM that aren't Aeroplan miles. So you should see 1,500 AQM added to your Altitude account. But of course, this being AC and Aeroplan, they couldn't figure out a way to give you 1,500 AQM without making them Aeroplan miles, so they did a debit to offset it. They had warned in advance that they would do it that way. It's discussed upthread.

With all those purchases on your TD card (), you should definitely be seeing the same thing happening with another chunk of 3,000 miles later.
canadiancow likes this.
Old May 23, 2020, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by taupo
how in the everloving jesus did you get 100k on your TD card in one month?! What did you buy with it, a car?!
Old May 23, 2020, 10:05 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Smiley90
how in the everloving jesus did you get 100k on your TD card in one month?! What did you buy with it, a car?!
Probably not. I've tried to buy a car with a credit card and they've refused because it's too expensive for them. Usually it's a few grand, tops.

Although perhaps with how desperate the dealers are these days, that might be something you could negotiate...
Old May 23, 2020, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Probably not. I've tried to buy a car with a credit card and they've refused because it's too expensive for them. Usually it's a few grand, tops.

Although perhaps with how desperate the dealers are these days, that might be something you could negotiate...
I need to get a new car sometime this fall, so I'd be totally down for that.
Old May 23, 2020, 10:12 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I did purchase a vehicle on my AMEX once (about $25000). I said I would pay the merchant fee. In the end they never charged me (never hurts to ask)
mileageking likes this.
Old May 23, 2020, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
I did purchase a vehicle on my AMEX once (about $25000). I said I would pay the merchant fee. In the end they never charged me (never hurts to ask)
Nice. Was there a bonus involved that would have made it worth paying the fee? I don't know that I would pay the 3% or whatever Amex charges just to get 1 point/$ or so.

I think I was able to get about $10K on a credit card on a ~$70K car ($5K deposit when I ordered it + all the extras when it arrived (winter tires and so on)) and maybe $20K on a ~$160K car, but even that took a lot of negotiating.
Old May 23, 2020, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
For the cars I drive, I could buy four for that price!
Redoing our landscaping, a major redo lol. Being an FTer I insisted I pay by Visa. They wanted to upcharge but we killed that.
Old May 23, 2020, 10:35 pm

One of the TAH bonuses is 1,500 AQM that aren't Aeroplan miles. So you should see 1,500 AQM added to your Altitude account. But of course, this being AC and Aeroplan, they couldn't figure out a way to give you 1,500 AQM without making them Aeroplan miles, so they did a debit to offset it. They had warned in advance that they would do it that way. It's discussed upthread.

With all those purchases on your TD card (), you should definitely be seeing the same thing happening with another chunk of 3,000 miles later.
Fantastic, thank you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.