Old Apr 16, 2020, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcook052
I didn't know AC flew SIN-LHR.
OR DC-10s.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by karachi
first flight .. 1973 or so, PIA Boeing 777 KHI-KUL and then Aeroflot KUL-KHI. Aeroflot was awful.
First 777 flight was in 1994. Entered into sewrvice June 1995.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 2:43 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
There is a photo in my baby book of my mother carrying me onto an Air Canada 727, she doesn't remember where the picture was taken but it was outdoor boarding.

The first nominally Air Canada flight I remember was Air BC Vancouver to Kelowna in 1988 and thinking the British Aerospace 146 was the strangest looking airplane I had ever seen.

Most of my travel to Canada as a child was on Canadian Pacific/Canadian Airlines.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 2:44 pm

I seem to remember Air Canada planes painted with a Singapore promotional tail.

tcook052 and karachi like this.

Last edited by Error 601; Apr 16, 2020 at 2:48 pm Reason: That was easier to find than I expected.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 2:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
YYZ-LHR-BOM-SIN and v.v.
L15's (L1011-500's)
and
74M's (747-200 Combis)

First Memory:

Grade 1
20 Minute "Fam-Flight" flew over Niagara falls from Malton (YYZ) & back.
Year: 19xx
$29.00
On a Vickers Vanguard .
Life Savers, Wings and a blue plastic airplane provided.
Follow-up book report with illustrations required.
Barfed the entire trip and look at where it led me!

Last edited by ACYYZ/SD; Apr 16, 2020 at 2:59 pm
Old Apr 16, 2020, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Error 601

The first nominally Air Canada flight I remember was Air BC Vancouver to Kelowna in 1988 and thinking the British Aerospace 146 was the strangest looking airplane I had ever seen.

Strangest looking I don't know. But strangest sounding when (these strange) air brakes were applied for sure. Some airlines had them 3-2 in the back, others 3-3, which was tight. Although I did fly on the Air BC ones ocasionally I don't recall if they were 3-3.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 3:01 pm

Oh yeah, there was a warning placard in the cabin about the noise.

I was sitting with just my mom so it would have been 2-3.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I must be odd here in that I was on flights at least annually from birth until I was a teenager, so I don't have specific memories of my first flight.
I guess that makes me odd too! Almost the exact same situation.

I have no idea what my first flight - AC or other would have been - we actually flew much more on CP and Lufthansa than AC depending on where my dad was posted. But the first flight that I specifically remember as being AC was early or mid 1970s YOW-YUL to catch a connecting flight to somewhere in Europe (most likely Amsterdam on CP or Frankfurt on LH). On the way to YOW from our cottage in a borrowed jalopy station wagon, the muffler came loose dragging on the ground. A farmer we knew helped wire it up and we made to YOW just in time for the flight, but not in time for checked lugged so the gate agent said just bring it on board. We boarded the DC-9(?) and stewardess (no such thing as a flight attendant in those days!) looked at our suitcases and said to my dad "Whats that". The reply "hand luggage!" We left the suitcases in front near the door - not secured in any way and took our seats in the back. Got to YUL just fine. Try that today!
Old Apr 16, 2020, 3:13 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
First Flight YWG-LHR back in 1981 or so when there was still direct flights from YWG. Fuel stop in Prestwick. (Age 5)

YWG-YYZ-KIN (Age 8). First flight where the passengers burst into applause on landing (of course now that I carry a Jamaican passport it's a right of passage.... cheering for being home!). Also the return... first time I saw an entire flight searched by Canada Customs on the return. We had 4 hours for our connection and we made it with 11 minutes. They were looking for drugs supposedly.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 3:37 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Error 601
I seem to remember Air Canada planes painted with a Singapore promotional tail.
There is a story on the AC web site dated January 15, 1985 which says:

Longest route yet!

On January 15, 1985, the Lockheed 1011-500 aircraft #553 carves out its own niche in the airline’s history books by leaving Toronto on the first leg of Air Canada’s longest route ever. This inaugural flight to Singapore – via London and Bombay – stretches 10,457 miles and takes passengers over Belgium, Germany, northern Austria, Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, Turkey, Syria, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, the United Arab Republic, Oman, over the Arabian Sea and to the subcontinent of India.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 5:28 pm

First AC flight, LHR-YMX Sep 77. DC8 so first AC meal - terrible. First flight ever Sep 53. LHR-LOS. Four RR Merlins in close formation, aka Argonaut with BOAC.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 7:17 pm

Programs: hahaha
The earliest memory? Flying on the 747...somewhere to Asia...must have been 1997 or 2001.

The more vivid memory was when I was 12 years old in 2006. Did YEG-YVR-HKG-SGN-NRT-YVR-YEG with the fam.

I feel like it's important for me to include what plane it was on the long haul, but for the life of me can't remember, so I had to Google: "air canada yvr nrt site:flyertalk.com" and turns out the A340-300 operated on AC 7 and AC 4.

I was learning French in school and thought it would be funny to ask for water en français. When the FA came and heard my request, she said something else in French that I couldn't respond to because I hadn't learned enough French yet. I got pretty embarrassed and slunk in my seat for the rest of the flight. This must have been the plane.

As a kid I always remembered doing the YEG-YVR hops on the 737, too!
Old Apr 16, 2020, 7:23 pm

Programs: AC 75k
First AC flight was YUL-YZR starting on a 727, then a really looooong walk from Terminal who knows to Terminal whatever in YYZ to get a Great Lakes (known as Great Shakes) Convair C580 which was 30 years old at the time ie, coming from the late 40's.
FlY1XS was looking at a job that he eventually took.
Don't remember a thing about the AC legs. I remember finding the C580 really cool - I was raised with an appreciation of old aircraft, so it was an adventure to my adolescent self.
First flight was a few years before - BEA Trident PIK-PMI.
BEST flight ever was in between; PIK-YUL when we immigrated to Canada in the mid 70's. BOAC 707. We were allowed to go up into the cockpit. As a family, a good day out was a Saturday plane-spotting, so even as young boys, my brother and I were incredibly engaged and spent over an hour on the flight deck. Then, they let us land in the cockpit! There were 4 seats and 3 crew as I remember. The navigator landed standing up with my brother and I seated. Greatest moment of my young life, and that flight is burned in my memory. A more innocent time, although I often think that they still broke a couple of rules. No chance of that happening today sadly.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlY2XS
First AC flight was YUL-YZR starting on a 727, then a really looooong walk from Terminal who knows to Terminal whatever in YYZ to get a Great Lakes (known as Great Shakes) Convair C580 which was 30 years old at the time ie, coming from the late 40's.
The Convair 580 was a reengined 340 or 440 with turbines rather than piston engines. The 340 first flew in 1951. I occasionally flew on 640s also a reengined 340/440. Father of a classmate of mine, as a captain, crashlanded one in ZRH in heavy weather, with only one fatality, a baby I believe.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 7:54 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
The first AC flight (that I can actually remember) was on an A32X family aircraft flying (I think) YYT-YYZ (might have been YYT-YHZ). This was around 2003-2004, I can remember the phones on the back of those classic green seats and that older livery that I loved.

I was 4-ish years old at the time.
tcook052 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.