Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What are the chances of AC emulating WestJet's Travel Bank concept?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are the chances of AC emulating WestJet's Travel Bank concept?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2020, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Travel bank vs AC-style credit, there's no difference. In either case, it sits on the balance sheet as liability for deferred revenue (specifically called Advance Ticket Sales), and becomes revenue when the flights are flown or when the credit expires.

The drawback to the travel bank approach (for AC) is that the breakage rate (i.e. amount that doesn't get used before expiry) on the travel bank is likely to be a lot lower. I don't think that will matter to the initial liability or the revenue that's ultimately booked, but it will mean the cost to earn that revenue may be higher.

P.S. I'm not an accountant, but my career in corporate finance, including being involved in preparation of public company financial statements, will hopefully be sufficient for you
Adam is correct the bean counters will be setting up a liability on the balance sheet for the credits. The question of whether or not it is deferred revenue is interesting. Deferred revenue usually an indication of future revenue that will recongnized sometime in the future. Deferred revenue can be used as an indicator of an airlines future ancillary revenues (baggage fees ,buy on board,etc.) that is generally recognized when the flight occurs. Given the pressure that the airlines are beginning to come under to refund fares in cash, auditors may be reluctant to allow a 100% of the amount sit in deferred revenue but rather charged to accrued liabilities (read future drain on cash).

I am not at all surprised that the airlines are trying to not issue refunds. It is free financing, That is better than any lending institution is going to offer.
hoipolloi likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 7:42 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
How do I know if I have any $s left?
Old Apr 3, 2020, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by cooleddie
How do I know if I have any $s left?
you never have dollars left after you use an Air Canada travel credit. If the itinerary you book is cheaper than the value of the credit, you lose the remaining value
Old Apr 3, 2020, 9:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by AltaBound
Adam is correct the bean counters will be setting up a liability on the balance sheet for the credits. The question of whether or not it is deferred revenue is interesting. Deferred revenue usually an indication of future revenue that will recongnized sometime in the future. Deferred revenue can be used as an indicator of an airlines future ancillary revenues (baggage fees ,buy on board,etc.) that is generally recognized when the flight occurs. Given the pressure that the airlines are beginning to come under to refund fares in cash, auditors may be reluctant to allow a 100% of the amount sit in deferred revenue but rather charged to accrued liabilities (read future drain on cash).

I am not at all surprised that the airlines are trying to not issue refunds. It is free financing, That is better than any lending institution is going to offer.
Right. So if I carry a balance on my CC to pay for my ticket, the interest on that purchase is mine, even if WJ make a refund to my travel bank. Effectively I am giving WJ an interest free loan for the duration of that travel credit?!
All the airlines have made good profits up to now on the backs of travellers with fees etc (cramming us into the back ). It is a time of reckoning for the shareholders. I am deeply concerned about Govt bailouts for these airlines; these bailout are unfair and should not happen.
Oh dear>
Old Apr 3, 2020, 10:51 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by AltaBound
AC already has a specific line item called "Advance Ticket Sales", separate from Aeroplan and other deferred revenue. Even fully refundable tickets sit in that line, rather than accrued liabilities, let alone non-refundable tickets that may become refundable in the event of involuntary changes. So I wouldn't expect that to change. What's more likely would be more disclosure in the notes to the financials or MD&A.

Even with WS having the travel bank concept, their disclosure was no more detailed than AC's on this front.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 12:59 pm
SYM

Programs: AC SEMM
One other big difference: AC is likely to exist in 12 months, and therefore will have to redeem what's in the bank, even with restrictions. WS, maybe not
Old Apr 4, 2020, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
you never have dollars left after you use an Air Canada travel credit. If the itinerary you book is cheaper than the value of the credit, you lose the remaining value
IIRC They also treat AC-related fees separately from third party taxes and fees. So if you have a $2,000 international booking comprising $1,900 of airfare and $100 of taxes and want to use it for a $2,000 domestic booking that has $1,700 of airfare and $300 of taxes you will be in for a surprise when they want to collect $200 for the higher taxes, while they pocket the $200 "fare" difference.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 7:40 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
I don't think AC will ever copy WS. They have a customer base that is already loyal and this will not change (I don't think).
Old Apr 4, 2020, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev
IIRC They also treat AC-related fees separately from third party taxes and fees. So if you have a $2,000 international booking comprising $1,900 of airfare and $100 of taxes and want to use it for a $2,000 domestic booking that has $1,700 of airfare and $300 of taxes you will be in for a surprise when they want to collect $200 for the higher taxes, while they pocket the $200 "fare" difference.
oooh, that's an unscrupulous policy!
Old Apr 4, 2020, 10:34 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
It is an unacceptable policy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.