Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC refunds on cancelled penalty-refundable tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC refunds on cancelled penalty-refundable tickets

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2020, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 2020 at 1:31 pm
Old Apr 4, 2020, 10:22 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by skybluesea
As fluid situation, this article may also help.
https://www.rlb-law.com/briefings/co...-and-covid-19/

Troubling though, IATA has promoted Canada as country that has made decision to offer credits over refunds, which of course AC has seized upon...IATA has quite powerful lobbying arm and is broadly pushing this message so likely relief in form of cash likely less and less, despite protestations here against what AC has done.

and your welcome...trying to be helpful in these anxious times.
let us know how it turns out, good luck with getting to Verona (at some point) - fabulous locale especially nearby lake district...been many times
stay safe...
But what bearing does the IATA have on this? The CTA has been coming out with all rulings for Canadian airlines, so I don't see why they would listen to anybody else.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 10:31 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by skybluesea
As fluid situation, this article may also help.
https://www.rlb-law.com/briefings/co...-and-covid-19/

Troubling though, IATA has promoted Canada as country that has made decision to offer credits over refunds, which of course AC has seized upon...IATA has quite powerful lobbying arm and is broadly pushing this message so likely relief in form of cash likely less and less, despite protestations here against what AC has done.
That's not the subject of this thread, which is about tickets that are refundable less a penalty. Thus far, we have no reports of AC not providing refunds on this type of ticket.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 6:49 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
When AC cancels a flight irrespective of the reason then they should pay the full amount passengers paid. If a passenger cancelled it then it's alright to deduct the refundable charges.
isn't this the same as you order something online and then the seller declared that this is non returnable and then finally say sorry I can't send you the product you paid so you can either buy another project later on or I will send you a refund minus the bigger portion of the money you paid.
I call it daylight robbery.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by dav662
When AC cancels a flight irrespective of the reason then they should pay the full amount passengers paid. If a passenger cancelled it then it's alright to deduct the refundable charges.
isn't this the same as you order something online and then the seller declared that this is non returnable and then finally say sorry I can't send you the product you paid so you can either buy another project later on or I will send you a refund minus the bigger portion of the money you paid.
I call it daylight robbery.
That's the position of the US Department Of Transportation as well:
https://www.transportation.gov/sites...203%202020.pdf
The focus is not on whether the flight disruptions are within or outside the carrier’s control, but rather on the fact that the cancellation is through no fault of the passenger.
seawolf and canadiancow like this.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 12:10 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Just to clarify that Fully refundable (Latitude etc) or penalty refundable (flex etc) are still credited to the method of payment less any penalties ?
Old Apr 19, 2020, 12:23 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Argonaut1000
Just to clarify that Fully refundable (Latitude etc) or penalty refundable (flex etc) are still credited to the method of payment less any penalties ?
Yes.

Flex is not necessarily refundable with penalty. Internationally, sometimes, domestic/TB/sun, no. I put together a table in the master waiver/cancellation thread a couple days ago.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 9:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Yes.

Flex is not necessarily refundable with penalty. Internationally, sometimes, domestic/TB/sun, no. I put together a table in the master waiver/cancellation thread a couple days ago.
I searched seversl threads but I must be missing your table. Clearly, too much time at home. Which thread has the table?
Old Apr 20, 2020, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Bartolo
I searched seversl threads but I must be missing your table. Clearly, too much time at home. Which thread has the table?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32294306-post1419.html
Old Apr 20, 2020, 9:46 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
So the ONE WAY "Y " Latitude fares I was planning on booking, the rules now state Non-Refundable.

Same for O and J one way fares. Return fares appear to be refundable.

So beware that Latitude, PE and J fares are not necessarily refundable especially if they are one way fares.
expert7700 likes this.

Last edited by Argonaut1000; Apr 20, 2020 at 9:53 pm
Old Apr 20, 2020, 10:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Thanks!
Old Apr 21, 2020, 7:37 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by Argonaut1000
So beware that Latitude, PE and J fares are not necessarily refundable especially if they are one way fares.
Care to comment on the route?
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 9:44 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by ABG
Care to comment on the route?
I too am curious. I checked random dates and domestic, US and international destinations. All latitude, flexible PE and full J were listed as refundable.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by 172pilot
I too am curious. I checked random dates and domestic, US and international destinations. All latitude, flexible PE and full J were listed as refundable.
I did the same, and all were clearly refundable, in both the summary and the detailed fare rules.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 10:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The question is answered by the fare rules for the specific ticket in question here. Refundability, flexibility and penalties are all covered at the top of the lengthy rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.