Search

Checked bag allowance

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2020, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Checked bag allowance

Dear readers

trying to solve this quickly as my friend is trying to get home from YVR (to VIE). We rebooked her ticket to YVR-YYC-AMS-VIE with West Jet and KLM however YYC-AMS got canceled. The only rebooking options are now with first segment op by AC either to YYC to YYZ and then onwards to Europe on KLM. Ticket issued by KLM. The question is now, as with KLM she was able to get 3 bags which one of them was ski equipment.

I know that AC has only 2 checked bag allowance and website states to my understanding that ski counts as a checked bag. Meaning she would have to leave on in Canada to be able to fly, because the first segment is on carrier that allows only 2 peaces.

She is booked on fare with 1 checked bag - the other two were to be bought at the airport, because system did not allow to buy it online nor on the phone.

So the real question after my fairytale is

KLM ISSUED TICKET with first segment op by AIR CANADA, 1 checked bag allowed in ticket fare, can she buy additional 2 AT THE AIRPORT when one of them is ski equipment?

I am on hold with Air Canada but dunno how long it takes, KLM Platinum line does not not their limits so they weren't helpful and hopefully I can get her on a plane tomorrow the latest.

Thanks for any info

EDIT:

I found useful thing on AC website, put YVR-FRA to get perspective of fees for bags to Europe and it seems like one bag free in her fare, additional second for 100 CAD and additional and total third 225 CAD. That seems like answer to my question that she can have 3 bags total no matter the fee. Sorry folks.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 4:30 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
If it's a KLM ticket, then she gets whatever baggage allowance the KLM ticket says. If they're separate tickets, the rule of the first segment applies. If the latter is the case and her journey starts off on an AC flight, then she gets 1x23kg and can check the other bags for a fee. If that's the case but her journey starts off on a WS flight, then that depends on the agreement between KL and WS. I just know for sure that KL and AC have no such agreement where status holders of the other airline can apply their benefits. (sorry I know this isn't well written but it's a complicated itinerary)
Old Mar 31, 2020, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyztozag
If it's a KLM ticket, then she gets whatever baggage allowance the KLM ticket says. If they're separate tickets, the rule of the first segment applies. If the latter is the case and her journey starts off on an AC flight, then she gets 1x23kg and can check the other bags for a fee. If that's the case but her journey starts off on a WS flight, then that depends on the agreement between KL and WS. I just know for sure that KL and AC have no such agreement where status holders of the other airline can apply their benefits. (sorry I know this isn't well written but it's a complicated itinerary)
Yes, she has no status and her KLM fare states 1 checked bag. So she can buy additional 2 checked straight to VIE. The fees are higher but whatever. It is one ticket all the way from YVR to VIE.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 5:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Originally Posted by 747jetter
Yes, she has no status and her KLM fare states 1 checked bag. So she can buy additional 2 checked straight to VIE. The fees are higher but whatever. It is one ticket all the way from YVR to VIE.
Who operates the first segment? AC or WS?
Old Mar 31, 2020, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Who operates the first segment? AC or WS?
AC, West Jet is not involved in the ticket anymore.

Now the routing is YVR-YYC-AMS-VIE / AC-KL-KL issued by KL.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 5:02 am

AC, West Jet is not involved in the ticket anymore.

Now the routing is YVR-YYC-AMS-VIE / AC-KL-KL issued by KL.
Her baggage allowance is the one stated in the KL booking.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Her baggage allowance is the one stated in the KL booking.
I am not sure if you read what I really wrote. The allowance is 1 bag, but the real question is if she can get two additionals at the airport, total of 3 bags....but thank you for your time.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 5:40 am

I am not sure if you read what I really wrote. The allowance is 1 bag, but the real question is if she can get two additionals at the airport, total of 3 bags....but thank you for your time.
She can pay for the additional bags. $100 for the second bag and $225 for the third.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 9:39 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
She can pay for the additional bags. $100 for the second bag and $225 for the third.
$100 seems excessive, is that the going rate for KLM bags these days?

I am shocked to hear that number!
Old Apr 5, 2020, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by codfather
$100 seems excessive, is that the going rate for KLM bags these days?

I am shocked to hear that number!
That's the AC rate. It is pretty excessive, but not as bad as Lufthansa's oversize fees that go up to $500 on some flights.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 11:50 am

That's the AC rate. It is pretty excessive, but not as bad as Lufthansa's oversize fees that go up to $500 on some flights.
$500 is a pretty crazy amount of money for a slightly over-sized bag. I can't say it would shock me if AC started charging more in the future all the same.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 12:38 pm

$500 is a pretty crazy amount of money for a slightly over-sized bag. I can't say it would shock me if AC started charging more in the future all the same.
I wouldn't be surprised either. They'll probably start charging heavy Y/PY bags by weight (probably around $20/kg), lower the price for extra bags and make oversize more expensive. What is pretty good is that even as "bottom-tier" status holders, we get free oversize bags, which saves us $225 every ten years.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 2:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I don't know how it works, but I could easily see something written into a contract that says "for bags over 32kg, it needs to be handled by two people with a special lifting device".

I'm not strong, but I'm not weak. Carrying a bulky 30kg package is challenging. Carrying a 40kg package is challenging.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I don't know how it works, but I could easily see something written into a contract that says "for bags over 32kg, it needs to be handled by two people with a special lifting device".

I'm not strong, but I'm not weak. Carrying a bulky 30kg package is challenging. Carrying a 40kg package is challenging.
Pretty sure I posted this during the last Do...

I was a bit incoherent at that point! Btw, good to have you back canadiancow!
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow

Then you've got guitars that are oversized but weigh 10-15kg tops. They should change the pricing; oversize should be $50, >32kg should be $150.

EDIT: only reason guitars/skis/hockey sticks should cost more is because they don't go in containers and have to be manually loaded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.