Wiki Posts
Search

AC changing flight number

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2020, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AP SPG HH
AC changing flight number

Why is AC changing flight numbers and telling their passengers that their flight has been cancelled? For example AC966 YYZ-BGI changed to 7066 March 30 and 31. These are the last flights in and out of Barbados.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 1:09 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Northern Canuck
Why is AC changing flight numbers and telling their passengers that their flight has been cancelled? For example AC966 YYZ-BGI changed to 7066 March 30 and 31. These are the last flights in and out of Barbados.
I suspect they aren't carrying passengers on the YYZ-BGI segment anymore, hence the flight # changes to a ferry flight #. This flight only exists to bring people home from BGI.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 1:29 pm

Programs: AC Elite50k, BAEC Blue, Amex Plat, RBC Black Tin Visa
Just out of personal interest, I have been wondering much the same. My son was due to take the AC93 ex EZE to YYZ with a quick stop in SCL on March 25. Last minute the flight from EZE to SCL was cancelled as the incoming flight AC92 on March 24 arrived in SCL from YYZ on March 25 and then the SCL-EZE sector was cancelled. Upon checking I found that my son's northbound AC 93 SCL to YYZ on March 25 was cancelled as well. That really made little sense (mind you, what does these days..) but my son and his team scrambled to get on a LATAM EZE to SCL flight (1107) to try and get on the returning AC92 (even tho' it showed CXL). Long story cut short, the flight did operate with him onboard but as far as I can see not as AC92 so I'm wondering if it was switched to a re-numbered repatriation flight....
After arriving in YYZ 3 hours late due to refuelling issues in SCL he sat around YYZ before getting on AC115 at 14:30 and flew back to YVR where he is now self isolating downtown in a hotel. Incidentally, AC115 never showed on the AC website schedule - only on the Flight Status page! It seems that these anxious times are only bringing the "Inner Anorak" in me more than ever!
Old Mar 30, 2020, 5:53 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
I suspect they aren't carrying passengers on the YYZ-BGI segment anymore, hence the flight # changes to a ferry flight #. This flight only exists to bring people home from BGI.
That is correct:

[KVS Tool 9.7.5/Diamond - Operational Info: AC 966/30 Mar 2020]
Code:
                 Planned Flight Info
Segment          Departure  Arrival    Duration
-------          ---------  ---------  --------
YYZ-BGI          08:40      13:50      05:10

Segment          Flight Note
-------          -------------------------------------------------
                 Flight Cancelled:    [FLIX FX]
                 Reason:              Political Situation [POLI]
YYZ-BGI          Departure Terminal:  1
YYZ-BGI          MCT Flight Tracking: I/I
YYZ-BGI          Amenity:             Entertainment On Demand [3]
YYZ-BGI          Amenity:             Non-Smoking [9]
YYZ-BGI          Amenity:             In-Seat Power Source [12]
YYZ-BGI          Amenity:             Lie-Flat Seat Business [20]
YYZ-BGI          SECURED FLIGHT
YYZ-BGI          Ticket Type:         E-Ticket [ET]
YYZ-BGI          Cabin Configuration: J24 Y187
YYZ-BGI          CO2/PAX:             289.38 KG ECO, 578.75 KG PRE
                 Source:              ICAO Carbon Emissions Calc
Old Mar 30, 2020, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I've often found that when a flight number changes, the carrier also changes - from mainline to regional carrier or Rouge for example. Technically, this is a cancellation and a new flight.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I've often found that when a flight number changes, the carrier also changes - from mainline to regional carrier or Rouge for example. Technically, this is a cancellation and a new flight.
No it's a cancellation period. A 70xx flight # is not a passenger carrying flight.

There are other cases that you've indicated where a flight # change would apply - this is not one.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AP SPG HH
When I looked at the seats available on the flight down some seats were taken. Were all those people left in YYZ? Barbados was still allowing citizens into the country at that time so why not fly them down?
Old Apr 1, 2020, 11:40 am

Your guess is as good as any non-AC insider.

FYI: AC is operating 2 flights/week to BGI in April.

Last edited by ChrisA330; Apr 1, 2020 at 11:53 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.