Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

When FFs Dream - What Could AC Travel Look Like Post-Pandemic?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When FFs Dream - What Could AC Travel Look Like Post-Pandemic?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2020, 6:32 am

add a little more fun to it

MBR - BTH DH4
BTH - LVG CR7
LVG -OFC 789
OFC - BTH CR9

LVG and DNR are all part of YTO

Originally Posted by visitor
just texted to me:

visitor likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 7:41 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
I don't think we will see much change. AC will likely create a few incentives to keep frequent flyers loyal to them, but I would say that is pretty much it!

Last edited by tcook052; Apr 5, 2020 at 10:06 pm Reason: Off topic
Old Apr 7, 2020, 1:08 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Fiordland
I think there is a big difference if we are talking about a community the size of Dawson Creek or a community the size of Saskatoon or Victoria or St John. With the limited number of flights we will have over the next 12 months I think interline is going to become critical.
According to Wikipedia, YDQ only had service from Central Mountain Air, to Prince George, before this COVID-19 mess, with WS scheduled to start service to YYC later this month.

So let's say WS does start up their service whenever this settles down, YDQ is better off than they were before. AC decided to pull out of YXH (leaving it to WS) and YQF (now left with no service) before coronavirus started to cause issues to the network. ZBF only has service from AC (YUL). On the other hand, YYT, YYJ, YXE, can't see any way that those don't continue to get service from both AC and WS. At less frequency, perhaps, but if YYC-YYZ, YUL-YVR, etc also have reduced frequency, we're all suffering, so where's the need for interline? Even if it serves customers better, where's the rationale for AC or WS to do it? They’re in business to make money, not provide the best possible experience for their customers.

By the way, even if they interline, no guarantee that any reasonable fares get filed. Google Flights sometimes shows me itineraries mixed on UA and AA, for example, with absolutely atrocious pricing. They're better routes than either of the airlines offers me on their own, but there aren't any decent fares filed, so the price ends up being ridiculously high. So that interline agreement wouldn't do me any good, unless I really felt like paying 3-4x the price of a less convenient routing all on one carrier. If AC and WS interline, there’s no guarantee you’ll be able to take YXH on to a YYC-Europe trip (or whatever other route you might have envisaged) without it costing a fortune.

Originally Posted by skybluesea
Are you suggesting AC should cut-out its 763 Rouge operations at a time when keeping unit costs low will be incredibly important? Yes, LINE maintenance on these old birds will be somewhat more costly (and I did say above major maint. excluded so yes timed-out birds will rightly be gone). Rouge was created for a particular reason, including a different/lower wage tier so in upcoming times that re-emergent demand will be extraordinarily price sensitive with falling income then AC may need to ditch higher unit/cost operations such as marginal Mainline before they cut Rouge.

[...]

All I'm saying is low oil prices to a degree mitigates the supply side risk...and to discount this entirely, when 2019 fuel expenses (22.9%) of total operating expense, higher even than wages is NOT something that AC mgmt will be discounting in forward decision-making.

[...]

Accordingly, and keeping with the Thread, a recovering AC will account for fuel costs and make decisions around maintaining low unit costs, that accounts for older birds in the fleet that have low/zero capital cost, operated by lower cost staff.
Presumably you're thinking about "unit costs" in terms of CASM, but CASM isn’t always the right metric, and the rouge 763s’ CASM may not be as good as you think it is.
  1. The pilots at rouge now make the same as mainline, if I recall correctly, meaning the only absolute cost advantage is a small difference in FA wages, with some per-seat cost savings achieved with the denser layout
  2. The rouge 763s have no J cabin, making them a poor choice for many long-haul routes where the J cabin is an important source of profitability
  3. 763s' low CASM is partly due to the low capital costs associated with the plane, either because they were acquired used, or because they were acquired long ago. However, the capital costs are sunk, and if demand is low and something has to be parked, the focus will be more on incremental costs such as fuel burn. The 763s are the least fuel-efficient widebodies in the fleet, meaning the incremental cost to operate them is actually high
  4. The 763s have been terrible on maintenance and reliability for the past three years, which does have a meaningful cost, including potentially compensating or at least accommodating passengers when their flights are delayed due to these mechanical issues

Low CASM is only good if you get the plane full or close to full. For example, the A380 has great CASM numbers, yet has been a commercial flop in large part because airlines struggled to fill it. If demand is down substantially, it's going to be hard to fill planes. The bigger the plane, the harder it is to deploy it on a route where it can be filled.

This isn't rocket science, nor is it anything new. Old gas guzzlers are the first thing to get parked when things go south. And for planes that were near the scrap heap anyway, they may well head directly there rather than get placed in to storage.

Remember, AC was already planning to retire two rouge 763s this year, and four more that are getting pretty close.

Why I disagree with you is that persistently low oil prices will permit AC to run more flights, building density of service, without the same cost hit. Bit of chicken and egg problem for AC as without service, demand can't return, but without apparent demand AC takes big financial risk...

Flying a lot of empty seats is expensive. AC’s (and the rest of the industry’s) profitability in recent years has been built on high load factors. Going back to mid-2000s load factors in the 60s or 70s might make sense for a short time (maybe a few months), but not for long, even if fuel prices stay low.

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
If pricing was as logical and as compliant with the mathematical models we assume, then yes, I understand your criticism. However, my position takes into account the emotional dynamic and the expected epidemic waves that will follow. I am using the polio epidemics that plagued us up until the 1950's as a guide on what to expect. The pricing model takes into account that there will be a core group of people who need/want to travel. We see some of them on the forum. Yes, flight loads will be decreased and the airlines will respond with reduced frequencies. That core group of "must fly" customers will be willing to pay more.
On paper there will be over capacity, but once the airlines have laid off employees, they will seek to shed ongoing labour costs. AC can easily shrink its capacity with the retirement of some of its old fleet forced to stay in service because of the Max fiasco. The airlines will act in unison on their fare increases.

Overcapacity can’t be cured overnight.
  • Airlines’ ability to cut staff may be limited by union contracts and/or commitments made to governments for financial support during this mess.
  • Their desire to do so may also be tempered depending on how they see the recovery going. If they anticipate a relatively quick one, they may want to over overstaffed rather than have to get rid of a bunch of employees then go hunting to replace them in 6, 12, or 18 months.
  • As for aircraft, they can reduce incremental costs by parking old planes, but unless they have upcoming lease expiries that they can hand back, aircraft rent and interest expense are largely fixed, along with a whole bunch or other corporate costs.
  • Reducing service may also require giving up slots or gates that may be difficult to re-acquire down the road and/or paying termination fees to get out of those contracts.

(A lot more could be done on those fronts in insolvency, but I don’t see AC going down that route)

It all comes down to how severe and prolonged the downturn will be. You seem to be predicting some doomsday scenario where demand is down – what, 50-80%? – for a very long time. I just don’t see it (for once, skybluesea and I seem to agree ). The industry is in for an awful few months, and it will take some time beyond that to recover, but I don’t see people being afraid to fly the way you seem to. COVID-19 has become a global phenomenon with widespread community spread, unlike Ebola or SARS where it was nearly all people who had been to particular areas. So I don’t see people as being all that scared to travel, and I think a lot of people are going to want to get away after being stuck at home for so long.

Airlines will want to get people back in the habit of flying and benefit from economies of scale, so they’re not going to go get rid of all their capacity and will try to make it attractive to fly.

In respect to the fare classes and the options, as lucrative as the extra fees are, especially their tax treatment
AC pays the same income tax on a seat selection fee as it does on a base fare or on YQ. There’s no tax incentive for them towards one or the other.

those fees have been the lightening rod for complaints. I expect that there will be pressure to cut those fees. If airlines are being forced to bypass the additional seat selection fares to accommodate families, and there additional baggage fees are causing more grief than profit, we will see airfares simplified with more emphasis made on more inclusive options. The airlines will still get their fees, but they will be simplified and perhaps even increased.
The flying public has shown itself to be incredibly price-sensitive, which is why the industry has spent the last 10-15 years unbundling. The fees have been source of grief for years, just like reduced seat pitch and other service reductions, yet people continue to fly. Spirit is extremely profitable despite treating their customers like crap and having awful ancillary fees, just like Ryanair and easyJet. AC didn’t come up with most of these things and it’s far from alone.

Why would a recession change any that? If anything, it should exacerbate the trend so that the airlines can lure people in with low advertised fares before hitting them with the upsell later in the process.

In respect to TPE, I hold a very different view than you because I see it becoming a regional hub replacing mainland China. BR offers a significantly better quality experience than the mainland AC partners and could easily service the region. Perfect for connections to SE Asia. Taiwan is a major center of medical supply manufacturing and because of its strong technology and manufacturing base, I expect more investment in Taiwan vs. China. Taiwan has been the only country to really manage the pandemic and to control its infections, so it will be recognized as the Asian "safe" place to do business with, to transit and to visit. If AC can maintain its Hubs in Hong Kong and Japan, Taiwan is the ideal regional sub hub. Best of all, Taiwan would welcome Air Canada and would roll out the red carpet.
I have no view on TPE in and of itself. I mentioned it only because it appears to be a low-yielding route for AC relative to others in Asia, based on the fares generally available to the public. If you’re right, then surely yields will improve and they will continue to serve it. But the point wasn’t about TPE specifically, it was about routes with marginal profitability (and limited service) being discontinued. Maybe TPE stays and they stop their half-assed attempts to do sun destinations from YYC (e.g. why waste time on one seasonal, poorly timed YYC-PHX when WS flies year-round and like 3x/day at peak times?). I don't know. Whatever the marginal routes are, those will be the ones to go first.

Originally Posted by skybluesea
And all this discussion about fares, or what FF dream might look like, useful distraction to distract from anxieties I suppose. Rather, listening last evening to Minister Garneau on national radio, he indicated government intent is to ensure post-pandemic all airlines in Canada, big and small, can resume "national interest" levels of service...whatever that means.
It means whatever gets them the most votes

They may decide that allowing Canadians to continue to access cheap holidays to sun destinations is vital to our mental health and their re-elections.
painintheuk likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 9:22 am

I think pax are going to be more sensitive to personal space - a lot more disinclined than before to rub shoulders with their neighbours or have knees jammed into their backs/jam their knees into somebody else’s back. I also think they’re going to notice cleanliness more - everything’s a germ vector these days.

Combine that with a drop-off in demand (aka more availability of discounted seats on other airlines) and you create a situation where pax previously focused on price might start noticing the small margins - the too close for comfort and the cleanliness aspects of AC Y travel for example. The acute competitive pressure this brings, may motivate some rapid incremental improvements in catering, IFE etc - something to offset the mental discomfort of sardine can HD configs.

I guess my point is that this episode has injected two new variables - personal space and a huge appetite for sanitization/cleanliness - that airlines like AC haven’t factored into customer experience in a while.

Last edited by tcook052; Apr 8, 2020 at 9:41 am Reason: Off topic
Old Apr 8, 2020, 9:28 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Maybe AC will start handing out face masks and sanitizer wipes as part of their boarding process. Or sell them like they do with earbuds in Y.

Might make the punters a little happier being packed in the back.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by yyztozag
That would be pretty cool. Not the vending machine, but the window. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Signature Suite go full a-la-carte (although I hope not, a few bites from the buffet come in handy when waiting for your meal).

I would be thrilled to see Skytrax go bankrupt. They're the most obscene organization in the whole aviation industry. Without going off-topic, I fail to understand how LH (5*) is a better quality airline than Etihad, SWISS or Air NZ (4*). There. Now, back to topic, if there was a better quality rating agency, maybe AC would fix some of their flaws (OTP, etc).
I agree with you. MU's lounge in PVG also have something similar where noodles are made when ordered.

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
I expect that for the next 24 months or more;
- Up to 50% reduction of business travel customers, resulting in additional pressure for fare increases and scaling back of premium services.Lounge closings or restriction of access, elimination of many FF perks, gutting of Aeroplan/Altitude FF program with devaluation of current miles.
- Reduction or elimination of some routes, especially mainland China routes balanced by Increased traffic and new routes to "safe" destinations.
- Change in the fare structures with more fixed fares that price in the the services now expected resulting in large fare increases.
- New emphasis on hygiene: elimination of blankets & pillows where possible, change in how food is served and drinks are provided. Reliance on pre packaged meals and fewer meals that need to be heated or touched.
- Reduced crew pax interaction and a requirement for pax to stay seated whenever possible.
- Tougher screening of pax who fly while sick. Perhaps airlines will be given the power to block pax for safety/health purposes easier than now which may make it more difficult for the barely ambulatory elderly to fly.
- Refit of lavs to allow for sensor use on taps and soap.
I flew a bunch of different airlines recently and some already have faucets that automatically turn on when my hands are placed near the sensors. Not all aircrafts have it. CX888 from HKG-YVR didn't have it. I think all aircrafts should have it going forward.

Last edited by tcook052; Apr 9, 2020 at 2:41 am Reason: merge separate posts
Old Apr 9, 2020, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Here's some advice: I've used a paper towel to press down the water faucet thingie on some older AC 32x birds. Low tech solution but really, not that hard to do and you don't have to touch.

Reminder to all: once you wash your hands, do not touch the lav door handles. Use a paper towel because we know no one cleans those and some people may still not was their hands..... even if they are wearing a mask.
lsquare, Bohemian1 and jasdou like this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 24left
Here's some advice: I've used a paper towel to press down the water faucet thingie on some older AC 32x birds. Low tech solution but really, not that hard to do and you don't have to touch.

Reminder to all: once you wash your hands, do not touch the lav door handles. Use a paper towel because we know no one cleans those and some people may still not was their hands..... even if they are wearing a mask.
That's what I've always done even pre-COVID19. I don't think they cleaned aircrafts the way that they do now. I was called a germophobe then. I didn't cared then and I don't care now.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 4:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton

I’ve always done the same. Knowing how many people brush their teeth on board and how many of those have poor hygiene, I’ve always been worried about touching someone’s saliva. Or worse.
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’ve always done the same. Knowing how many people brush their teeth on board and how many of those have poor hygiene, I’ve always been worried about touching someone’s saliva. Or worse.
If I'm going to brush my teeth, then I'm going to do it before I board the plane. I know my mouth won't be clean after having a meal onboard, but it's a risk I'm willing to take. It's probably less harmful than dealing with a lavatory that's been used many times during a flight.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 4:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Originally Posted by lsquare
If I'm going to brush my teeth, then I'm going to do it before I board the plane. I know my mouth won't be clean after having a meal onboard, but it's a risk I'm willing to take. It's probably less harmful than dealing with a lavatory that's been used many times during a flight.
I usually do too... if push comes to shove I use bottled water. I really hope that nobody uses potable water to rinse their mouth (especially now and post-COVID-19).
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I usually do too... if push comes to shove I use bottled water. I really hope that nobody uses potable water to rinse their mouth (especially now and post-COVID-19).
Absolutely. I've never had an issue getting water from a flight attendant. It's usually not a problem if you're doing transcon or even an intercontinental flight. If you generally take care of your oral health and see a dentist every couple of month, then it's probably a non-issue. I'm getting closer to 40 and I've never had a cavity in my life.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 2:56 pm
Suspended

"Is PPE the new IFE?"

LOL, but I was thinking about it after I read this column and thinking about the subject of this thread and especially the OP and first couple of posts.

QUOTES:

"Air travel and the passenger experience has already changed beyond measure as the result of COVID-19 and the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus that causes it. But when passengers begin to travel again, how will the soft product on board — the parts of the passenger experience not bolted down to the cabin, in essence — change?

Travelers are already wearing airline eye shades as makeshift face masks as authorities encourage (and in some cases require) mouths and noses to be covered in close situations where physical distancing is not possible.

Given that wearing a mask — whether reusable cloth or disposable — seems likely to be a prerequisite for being allowed into an airport, are actual airline-branded facemasks going to be the new airline pajamas? Will the hot towel service be replaced by a flight attendant clad in branded PPE walking down the aisle with a tub of Clorox wipes? Is PPE the new IFE?"

Some interesting points in the full article (e.g. as it relates to J vs Y pax)

https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2020/0...he-new-normal/
Old Apr 29, 2020, 3:33 pm

LOL, but I was thinking about it after I read this column and thinking about the subject of this thread and especially the OP and first couple of posts.

QUOTES:

"Air travel and the passenger experience has already changed beyond measure as the result of COVID-19 and the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus that causes it. But when passengers begin to travel again, how will the soft product on board — the parts of the passenger experience not bolted down to the cabin, in essence — change?

Travelers are already wearing airline eye shades as makeshift face masks as authorities encourage (and in some cases require) mouths and noses to be covered in close situations where physical distancing is not possible.

Given that wearing a mask — whether reusable cloth or disposable — seems likely to be a prerequisite for being allowed into an airport, are actual airline-branded facemasks going to be the new airline pajamas? Will the hot towel service be replaced by a flight attendant clad in branded PPE walking down the aisle with a tub of Clorox wipes? Is PPE the new IFE?"

Some interesting points in the full article (e.g. as it relates to J vs Y pax)

https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2020/0...he-new-normal/
Watch the Naomi Campbell video where she cleans every surface of the seat. I have seen tons of people who clean to that degree. I’ve been disinfecting every seat that I sit in for a very long time (except for short-haul economy, where there is little need to touch anything). I seriously doubt that any carrier or airport will require masks, but airlines will for sure provide disinfectant wipes and hand sanitizer, at least in premium cabin amenity kits. People won’t continue with these precautions after they are vaccinated for COVID-19. They’ll just learn a lesson about cleanliness and hygiene, if nothing else they’ll clean surfaces they touch as a reassurance.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 5:03 pm
Suspended

There are a number of very interesting columns out there covering the topic of how flying is different today and what the writers and some aviation industry people thing it will be like going forward. Some of the changes have already started, like wearing masks. But it is not being done with any conformity or consistency across airlines, which I think is wrong.

I am sure a few people on this forum are still flying and some have reported their experiences. Others may go back to flying AC as soon as someone deems it safe, but in reality, while domestic and TB flights have their own limitations right now, flying as we knew it will not be the same for a long time and may never be the same as what was. No one knows yet which countries will re-open for passengers and what the restrictions might be.

And everyone has their own view of what it may be in the short term, say now until Jan 1 2021, the mid term, 2021-2022 and then further out.

Industry and aviation experts - and even airlines and manufacturers, all have their own versions of the future. There is also some disagreement over who will return to flying first - business travellers or leisure pax, as well as what airlines may try to do to incentivize.

I think AC will do whatever it can to conserve the cash it has. I may be wrong, but I don't see AC moving quickly on returning to some semblance of service that we all used to have.

I know some who will not pay AC the prices they have charged for Business or PE only to be served a wrap and coleslaw and packaged almonds plus a bottle of water, for long TPAC flights. I can't imagine what it might be like in Y where there is nothing. And of course, no one knows if any food services will be open post-security and not everyone can afford $5 for a 500ml bottle of water, let alone food and drinks for a family.

As for the small items like pillow and blankets, other airlines I've flown have always provided all of these items in sealed packages that includes the blanket and pillow. AC only provides the blanket in the package but the less than hygienic uncovered pillow, is just placed on the seat, touched by the groomers wearing gloves who might have been cleaning lavs and so on.

I think AC will continue to offer minimalism because it can and it assumes people who need to fly will put up with it.

But then knowing AC does not provide these items, will some pax bring their own? Some of us have our brightly-colored AirCanadaCamping inflatables. I've seen many people bring their own pillows. Will AC deny boarding to those who bring their own since AC may no longer offer these items?

Will AC now offer disinfectant wipes to all pax - an amusing point knowing that AC grooming was never a real focus - see Dirty aircraft and https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...ght-ac-80.html

Are AC FAs, who will likely be wearing masks and gloves for a long time, going get upset if pax don't know all the rules or are struggling to manage the new world of flying with all the limitations?

My point is that there are a lot of short-term and then long-term changes that will affect how we fly and clearly we don't know what AC will be doing once flying resumes.

Last edited by 24left; Apr 29, 2020 at 5:32 pm Reason: grammar

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.