Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2021, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This thread originally contained any and all information relating to flying with AC in the times of COVID. As travel has picked up, much of the discussion has been moved to dedicated threads to make topics easier to follow. Threads that may be of particular interest to those travelling during COVID:

Meal threads:
Schedule changes/refunds - temporary COVID-related policies:
The above threads are in the process of winding down as AC moves away from temporary COVID-related policies. Most questions on schedule changes/refunds should be directed to the thread on AC's new permanent schedule change policies

Other AC-related threads:

Pre-travel e-mails:

Information on immigration rules and procedures, and other government requirements, from the Canada forum:
Airport-related threads containing information that may be relevant to AC passengers, but that are not specific to AC (there are many others in the Canada forum; these are a few that have come up frequently):
(Other threads with immigration/government-related questions not specific to AC can be found on the Canada forum, and experiences and questions on those topics should be posted there)
Print Wikipost

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2021, 9:01 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by avgeek9995
May be an odd question, but how is everyone handling eating on planes these days? Family and I flying business in a few weeks and i am trying to find the best strategy to eat (don't wanna risk any exposure)...maybe wait till other pax are done eating and have their mask back on? Just wondering people's thoughts.
There were a few studies published that the chance of actually getting COVID on the plan is near 0 due to hospital grade HEPA filters, frequent air circulation etc. If you are fully vaxxed you should not be worried at all.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by avgeek9995
May be an odd question, but how is everyone handling eating on planes these days? Family and I flying business in a few weeks and i am trying to find the best strategy to eat (don't wanna risk any exposure)...maybe wait till other pax are done eating and have their mask back on? Just wondering people's thoughts.
The only way to avoid *any* exposure from this flight is to not take it. But seeing as that's probably not practical, I agree with others here. The risk is negligible on the plane if you're fully vaccinated. Wear your mask when not eating. Put lots of effort into being careful going to/from the plane.
RangerNS likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 8:28 am

Programs: Asiana Club
Having just flown from YYC to YYZ, YYZ to DOH on the 787-9 back in July in Business, eating wasn’t too much of an issue. Just remove your mask and enjoy. It’s the in-between you’re mandated to keep your mask on. If you’re vaccinated you should be fine.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by lcohen999
That is correct, they did not. It was slightly annoying but given what we've just been though and I had an open seat beside me and was a E75

So all good
Were these "op ups" done at the gate, or were people asked to move up after boarding for W&B?
Old Oct 12, 2021, 10:20 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Were these "op ups" done at the gate, or were people asked to move up after boarding for W&B?
W&B
Old Oct 12, 2021, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
W&B
Right, ok.
Yeah, I wish they would change the way they do W&B and grab status pax first. But it is what it is... SAFETY FIRST! SAFETY FIRST!
Old Oct 12, 2021, 10:56 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Right, ok.
Yeah, I wish they would change the way they do W&B and grab status pax first. But it is what it is... SAFETY FIRST! SAFETY FIRST!
Yup

Listen. It happens. I wasn't entitled to that seat and they did what they did to get the plane going on time.

Would it have been nice...of course. Should it be SOP...probably.

Will I live to tell the tale...absolutely
Old Oct 12, 2021, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If W&B opups are likely, take a seat as far back as possible.

Sometimes W&B opups are done before boarding though, in which case, I've seen them done by status.
YVRtoYYZ likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yup

Listen. It happens. I wasn't entitled to that seat and they did what they did to get the plane going on time.

Would it have been nice...of course. Should it be SOP...probably.

Will I live to tell the tale...absolutely
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If W&B opups are likely, take a seat as far back as possible.

Sometimes W&B opups are done before boarding though, in which case, I've seen them done by status.
I guess you know it's gate-driven W&B status-based op-ups when you board the flight and it's not full? But how do you know it's truly by status pecking order?
I wish the this stuff could be automated a bit more... or maybe when the status-based-op-ups happen, the algorithm already does the remaining musical chairs in Y to meet W&B req?
Old Oct 12, 2021, 12:06 pm

I guess you know it's gate-driven W&B status-based op-ups when you board the flight and it's not full? But how do you know it's truly by status pecking order?
I wish the this stuff could be automated a bit more... or maybe when the status-based-op-ups happen, the algorithm already does the remaining musical chairs in Y to meet W&B req?
PDM handles it.

As with all op-ups, non-revs have priority over status. But then it's done by status (or rather, cabin then status, but I assume we're talking mostly about Jazz flights). If moving the STR up from 12 to 4 isn't sufficient, it will move other people around, like someone from 27C to 12C.

But I don't have the full algorithm in front of me, so I don't know whether it would prefer moving 4 people from row 12 to J, or moving 1 from 12 to J and 1 from 27 to 12.
yyznomad likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PDM handles it.

As with all op-ups, non-revs have priority over status. But then it's done by status (or rather, cabin then status, but I assume we're talking mostly about Jazz flights). If moving the STR up from 12 to 4 isn't sufficient, it will move other people around, like someone from 27C to 12C.

But I don't have the full algorithm in front of me, so I don't know whether it would prefer moving 4 people from row 12 to J, or moving 1 from 12 to J and 1 from 27 to 12.
So why not just W&B op-ups like this all the time now, some near-time prior to boarding (at least up to the last possible last minute walkup buy)... IRROPs notwithstanding?
Old Oct 12, 2021, 12:15 pm

So why not just W&B op-ups like this all the time now, some near-time prior to boarding (at least up to the last possible last minute walkup buy)... IRROPs notwithstanding?
Because the weight information needs to be finalized in the computer first. Sometimes cargo might make this flight or might not. Same with heavy bags. Same with people.

If two people in J no-show, there's going to be some last-minute balance required.
yyznomad likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because the weight information needs to be finalized in the computer first. Sometimes cargo might make this flight or might not. Same with heavy bags. Same with people.

If two people in J no-show, there's going to be some last-minute balance required.

I can see that when it gets to an on-board last minute W&B shuffling, doing it by pecking order of "privilege" (non-rev/status/etc) could end up being a real PITA.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 1:37 pm

Programs: Super Elite 100K
Originally Posted by yyztozag
Be sure to post photos. Rouge A321s should have updated interiors that fall in line with the existing mainline 7M8s.
Nope, our 321 was an antique. J seats wouldn't stay upright, lavs were awful. But, left PUJ 15 minutes early and got into YUL a full 20-25 minutes ahead of schedule, so no complaints from me.
EDIT: Wow, just looked up the FIN and it says 3.5 years old. Has not aged well.
yyztozag likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FA went to someone at row 4 and asked them to move to back of Barbie Jet last evening (YYZ/YSB)
Flight was near capacity but required to leave gate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.