Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Old Aug 21, 2021, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This thread originally contained any and all information relating to flying with AC in the times of COVID. As travel has picked up, much of the discussion has been moved to dedicated threads to make topics easier to follow. Threads that may be of particular interest to those travelling during COVID:

Meal threads:
Schedule changes/refunds - temporary COVID-related policies:
The above threads are in the process of winding down as AC moves away from temporary COVID-related policies. Most questions on schedule changes/refunds should be directed to the thread on AC's new permanent schedule change policies

Other AC-related threads:

Pre-travel e-mails:

Information on immigration rules and procedures, and other government requirements, from the Canada forum:
Airport-related threads containing information that may be relevant to AC passengers, but that are not specific to AC (there are many others in the Canada forum; these are a few that have come up frequently):
(Other threads with immigration/government-related questions not specific to AC can be found on the Canada forum, and experiences and questions on those topics should be posted there)
Print Wikipost

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Old Sep 30, 2021, 8:22 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by WesternCDN
Has anyone ever connected at YQM? Doesn’t seem like there’s any option for airside connection? Had to exit and re-clear security.
At many small airports, they very rarely have anyone connecting (or returning on the plane that just came in). The best thing to do is to talk to the AC ramp agent as you deplane. Let them know you're connecting (have your next BP ready to show them) and ask whether you can get straight back in to the secured area.

I haven't been to YQM, but this has been successful for me at YCD, YKA, YXC, YCG, YXJ, YQU, YXS. But unsuccessful at YYF, YBG, YGR, YZP, YPR. (Surprisingly, YZV deplanes into the secured area, so no special treatment needed). And YMMV based on who's working that day, I think. Responses I've gotten have ranged from "of course, no problem!" to "Transport Canada would never allow that!".
Old Sep 30, 2021, 8:28 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
At many small airports, they very rarely have anyone connecting (or returning on the plane that just came in). The best thing to do is to talk to the AC ramp agent as you deplane. Let them know you're connecting (have your next BP ready to show them) and ask whether you can get straight back in to the secured area.

I haven't been to YQM, but this has been successful for me at YCD, YKA, YXC, YCG, YXJ, YQU, YXS. But unsuccessful at YYF, YBG, YGR, YZP, YPR. (Surprisingly, YZV deplanes into the secured area, so no special treatment needed). And YMMV based on who's working that day, I think. Responses I've gotten have ranged from "of course, no problem!" to "Transport Canada would never allow that!".
True, I could have knocked on the glass door leading into the secure area as well or talked to the security guards at baggage claim I suppose. Not an issue as I had an hour in between so more than enough time to walk outside to enjoy a few minutes of fresh air without a mask on. Just thought it wouldve been more seamless to connect given that YQM is specifically listed in the AC timetable for connections, with a 15 minute MCT DOM-DOM.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Wife flew back to Europe yesterday via MUC.

*flight was only 10 minutes late, which was an unexpected nice surprise
*still no hot breakfast in J, still the cod or chicken for dinner
*was denied 2 dessert items, only to see FAs snacking on them in the galley later
*her seat deflated twice. The FA was very nice, apologetic and embarrassed as he did the resets and said he "logged it"
yyznomad and yyztozag like this.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 3:13 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
It is nice to see that life is moving towards getting back to normal, perhaps a new normal. Yes there are still those who are afraid, have anxiety issues, or even suffer from mental health issues, and that is OK, we need to be respectful with one another. I do struggle with the lack of consistency and understanding, for example when in YYZ we can only sit in every other seat in the waiting areas but can line up against the wall, shoulder to shoulder to get into a cylinder tube and sit side by side up to nine across. Last week while standing in the line at Tim's, YYZ domestic a lady kept moving further away from me, as I moved closer to her. She wanted to stand on the "six feet" (should be 2 M) stickers on the floor. I moved she moved, It was fun doing this for a few minutes and I really wanted to let her know that she will be sitting side by side with two hundred other people on the aircraft!

Glad that CATSA has finally done away with the ridiculous temperature check when going through security. How much did that cost and the idiots who came up with that idea, are they still employed? I know many procedures are to show they are doing something, no matter if it works or makes sense it shows something is in place!
MillennialMiles likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 5:45 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
True, I could have knocked on the glass door leading into the secure area as well or talked to the security guards at baggage claim I suppose.
Once you get to baggage claim, it's too late - you've left the secured area. Knocking on the glass might work, but if you wander away from the arrivals path, you might attract unwanted attention. Talking to the ramp agent is by far the best way to do it.

Not an issue as I had an hour in between so more than enough time to walk outside to enjoy a few minutes of fresh air without a mask on. Just thought it would’ve been more seamless to connect given that YQM is specifically listed in the AC timetable for connections, with a 15 minute MCT DOM-DOM.
Odd that AC is still publishing any 15-minute MCTs given the gate officially closes 15 minutes before departure. So even if your inbound is on time at T-15, you could (in theory) be offloaded for not being at the departing gate on time.

I'm guessing this is a case of the policy being 15-minute MCT but staff just not being used to it, because it's probably rare for anyone to connect there, and even rarer for it to be a tight connection. But yeah, having to re-clear security could easily make anything close to a 15-minute connection impossible.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 6:29 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
It is nice to see that life is moving towards getting back to normal, perhaps a new normal. Yes there are still those who are afraid, have anxiety issues, or even suffer from mental health issues, and that is OK, we need to be respectful with one another. I do struggle with the lack of consistency and understanding, for example when in YYZ we can only sit in every other seat in the waiting areas but can line up against the wall, shoulder to shoulder to get into a cylinder tube and sit side by side up to nine across. Last week while standing in the line at Tim's, YYZ domestic a lady kept moving further away from me, as I moved closer to her. She wanted to stand on the "six feet" (should be 2 M) stickers on the floor. I moved she moved, It was fun doing this for a few minutes and I really wanted to let her know that she will be sitting side by side with two hundred other people on the aircraft!

Glad that CATSA has finally done away with the ridiculous temperature check when going through security. How much did that cost and the idiots who came up with that idea, are they still employed? I know many procedures are to show they are doing something, no matter if it works or makes sense it shows something is in place!
It still all feels a long way from normal to me.
gadflyboy likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr

Okay...
Old Oct 4, 2021, 11:35 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Okay...
I see what you were doing there, lol

You can be respectful and yet have a little harmless fun also. We do see fewer folks traveling with their nuclear radiation suits, down to just a mask, face shield, gloves, and a backpack of wipes. It is fun to watch folks drive alone in their cars with masks on and it's OK for them to also shower, swim or sleep with their maks on also. This pandemic has affected so many people in so many different ways, which is also OK, as we are all different. Not everyone would jump onto a hand grenade or run into a burning building to save others. Some lead, some follow. Some are risk-takers and some are not. The pandemic has allowed for some to rise and lead by overcoming ambiguity and establish successful and strong leadership roles. For others, a more safe and domicile strategy.

Anyways I digress, this has been a great year for flying with so many deals and opportunities. My spending is way low compared to my miles earned. What did E.F Hutton once said, when people walk I run and when people run I walk. Those in the financial world will understand. Overcoming fear and ambiguity is not for everyone!
Old Oct 4, 2021, 1:18 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
True, I could have knocked on the glass door leading into the secure area as well or talked to the security guards at baggage claim I suppose. Not an issue as I had an hour in between so more than enough time to walk outside to enjoy a few minutes of fresh air without a mask on. Just thought it wouldve been more seamless to connect given that YQM is specifically listed in the AC timetable for connections, with a 15 minute MCT DOM-DOM.
YQM is not big enough to get anyones feathers roughed up by tapping on the glass. A few years back I was on a segment kick and the first time through YQM just left the secure side, and was confused like you. Second time, possibly prompted from here, tapped on the glass. Or at least waited behind the gate or something.

The AC ramp or gate agent isn't going to shoot you.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 3:09 pm

Programs: AC E75K, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Tit, HH Silver, BW Gold, Avis President's Club
Finished my first round trip TATL, AC through YYZ to VIE on the way over and LH through FRA to YVR on the way back. In general, compared to the last time I did this, when dinner was a cold box lunch and the only drink they provided was a bottle of water, things have returned to just about normal onboard, and the service was quite good on both of the long legs (especially with the much appreciated op-up from LH on the way back).

A few notes:

- My BC digital vaccination certificate was accepted everywhere, notwithstanding my mixed vaccinations
- On return, CBSA only looked at my ArriveCAN receipt. They didn't seem to care about my right on the edge of 72 hrs. PCR test at all
- There was a very long line to get documents checked in FRA that moved very slowly as people waited until they were at the front to start pulling things up on their phones. The flight left half an hour late as a result, and my Zone 1 BP was useless as you can't get to the gate until after the doc check. Lufthansa claims this can be done by uploading docs to their app, but I couldn't figure out how to do that. I would try to get a check-in agent to do the doc check if that is an option

All in all it was great to get back in the air, hit a few lounges and re-experience the joys of 9 time zone jet lag. Hopefully I'll do this at least one more time before the end of the year, and hopefully things go as smoothly.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by YVR4Ever
The flight left half an hour late as a result, and my Zone 1 BP was useless as you can't get to the gate until after the doc check. Lufthansa claims this can be done by uploading docs to their app, but I couldn't figure out how to do that. I would try to get a check-in agent to do the doc check if that is an option
Doesn't FRA still have two lines (J/Y) with a little booth by the gate for the doc check? It's been quite awhile since I've done ex-FRA.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 9:56 am

Programs: AC E75K, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Tit, HH Silver, BW Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Doesn't FRA still have two lines (J/Y) with a little booth by the gate for the doc check? It's been quite awhile since I've done ex-FRA.
There were two lines, but no differentiation between the lines. The longer line led to the booth, staffed by 2 agents, and the shorter one to a 3rd agent at the check-in counter. I went to the counter to ask if there was any prioritization for J and was told there wasn't.
yyznomad likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 10:47 am

Programs: Super Elite 100K
Flying YUL-PUJ this weekend on Rogue...that's not such a big deal. But, I actually had occasion to gift a STAUS PASS to friends on the same flight...and it actually worked! So far so good...let's see how it goes at the counter, at the lounge, and at the gate! Update to follow...
Old Oct 6, 2021, 12:15 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by YVR4Ever
Finished my first round trip TATL, AC through YYZ to VIE on the way over and LH through FRA to YVR on the way back. In general, compared to the last time I did this, when dinner was a cold box lunch and the only drink they provided was a bottle of water, things have returned to just about normal onboard, and the service was quite good on both of the long legs (especially with the much appreciated op-up from LH on the way back).

A few notes:

- My BC digital vaccination certificate was accepted everywhere, notwithstanding my mixed vaccinations
- On return, CBSA only looked at my ArriveCAN receipt. They didn't seem to care about my right on the edge of 72 hrs. PCR test at all
- There was a very long line to get documents checked in FRA that moved very slowly as people waited until they were at the front to start pulling things up on their phones. The flight left half an hour late as a result, and my Zone 1 BP was useless as you can't get to the gate until after the doc check. Lufthansa claims this can be done by uploading docs to their app, but I couldn't figure out how to do that. I would try to get a check-in agent to do the doc check if that is an option

All in all it was great to get back in the air, hit a few lounges and re-experience the joys of 9 time zone jet lag. Hopefully I'll do this at least one more time before the end of the year, and hopefully things go as smoothly.
Thanks for the info re: FRA doc check. Ill remember to do that as early as possible before heading to the lounge when I fly out of here this weekend.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 9:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Originally Posted by willflyforfood
Flying YUL-PUJ this weekend on Rogue...that's not such a big deal. But, I actually had occasion to gift a STAUS PASS to friends on the same flight...and it actually worked! So far so good...let's see how it goes at the counter, at the lounge, and at the gate! Update to follow...
Be sure to post photos. Rouge A321s should have updated interiors that fall in line with the existing mainline 7M8s.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.