Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2021, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This thread originally contained any and all information relating to flying with AC in the times of COVID. As travel has picked up, much of the discussion has been moved to dedicated threads to make topics easier to follow. Threads that may be of particular interest to those travelling during COVID:

Meal threads:
Schedule changes/refunds - temporary COVID-related policies:
The above threads are in the process of winding down as AC moves away from temporary COVID-related policies. Most questions on schedule changes/refunds should be directed to the thread on AC's new permanent schedule change policies

Other AC-related threads:

Pre-travel e-mails:

Information on immigration rules and procedures, and other government requirements, from the Canada forum:
Airport-related threads containing information that may be relevant to AC passengers, but that are not specific to AC (there are many others in the Canada forum; these are a few that have come up frequently):
(Other threads with immigration/government-related questions not specific to AC can be found on the Canada forum, and experiences and questions on those topics should be posted there)
Print Wikipost

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2021, 6:35 am

I did mean 2030. I fully expect some type of delay as well but in the small chance there isn't one I wanted to be sure Id have enough time. Ill stick with 1830
Old Aug 21, 2021, 7:58 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by tbuff
I did mean 2030. I fully expect some type of delay as well but in the small chance there isn't one I wanted to be sure Id have enough time. Ill stick with 1830
some how I missed “tonight” when I was looking back. It may be the three hours of sleep that AC stole from me. Hope your flight isn’t too badly delayed.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 8:08 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Flying out of yyz tonight 830 domestic departure. Is 2 hours early enough for bag drop? 25K with a prem credit card not sure that gets priority line?
Priority line was unmanned and roped off on Thurs evening. With that being said, still only 30mins from car drop-off to Intl MLL including waiting for Concierge, general security line at the D-Pier, and the walk to the E-Pier
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 2:28 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Okay... The new meal threads have been opened, and most posts relating to food and beverage since July 1 have been moved out of this thread to the relevant meal threads.

Since the new threads are split by geography and class of service, posts that span multiple categories have generally been left here.

Going forward, please post any meal information in the new meal threads.

See here for the list of meal threads:

New Meal Threads July 2021 (WORK IN PROGRESS) - Input Requested

Adam Smith
AC Forum Co-Moderator
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 3:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Flying ZRH-YYZ with 8 checked bags including one oversized piece, anything related to baggage delivery that I should be worried about?
Old Aug 21, 2021, 5:01 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Well that was amusing. Just changed a YYZ-YVR flight to a later one to buy another hour of connection time in YYZ when returning from FCO in September. And they gave me $23.25 back for doing it. Maybe they charge less for a 788 than a 789?

I will never understand the vagaries of flight pricing.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 5:04 pm

No line at bag drop and none at security. MLL domestic is packed though
Old Aug 21, 2021, 5:17 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
No line at bag drop and none at security. MLL domestic is packed though
Which airport?
Old Aug 21, 2021, 11:17 pm
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
AC 007

Nice to see today AC 007 flying over our apartment on her final approach towards Hong Kong airport. Daily flights are almost back.
In a few weeks, will report on AC 008

24left likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Aug 21, 2021 at 11:23 pm Reason: Resize excessively large image
Old Aug 22, 2021, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
Priority line was unmanned and roped off on Thurs evening. With that being said, still only 30mins from car drop-off to Intl MLL including waiting for Concierge, general security line at the D-Pier, and the walk to the E-Pier
yeah it was unmanned too when I used it recently
Old Aug 22, 2021, 5:19 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by King Chung Huang
This was my first international flight since the pandemic started! There were 5 passengers in the business class cabin and about 16 passengers total on the 787-9.
Wow 16 in total? Curious if anyone knows whether that's normal for flights to HKG / Asia these days.

I've taken a few TATL flights in recent months and J was always ~70%+ full, and from what I could tell, the flights also had similar loads in PY / Y.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 5:33 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Wow 16 in total? Curious if anyone knows whether that's normal for flights to HKG / Asia these days.
Yeah, it was super deserted at the gate. We actually started boarding at 8:15 AM for a 8:30 AM departure. The gate agent just called for zones 1 & 2 together, and then everyone else. Only took a few minutes!

I strolled through PY and Y towards the end of the flight. It'd be easy to mistake those two cabins as completely empty with how few people were there.

The YVR international area was also lifeless. Only the duty free shop and Subway were open. No other flights departing around the same time. The departures board only showed 9 flights that day.

Old Aug 22, 2021, 8:18 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Moving these comments over from the meal thread....

This was my first international flight since the pandemic started! There were 5 passengers in the business class cabin and about 16 passengers total on the 787-9.
...... The plane was basically empty, with just as many crew as passengers.

I've taken a few TATL flights in recent months and J was always ~70%+ full, and from what I could tell, the flights also had similar loads in PY / Y.
Yeah, it was super deserted at the gate. We actually started boarding at 8:15 AM for a 8:30 AM departure. The gate agent just called for zones 1 & 2 together, and then everyone else. Only took a few minutes!

I strolled through PY and Y towards the end of the flight. It'd be easy to mistake those two cabins as completely empty with how few people were there.

The YVR international area was also lifeless. Only the duty free shop and Subway were open. No other flights departing around the same time. The departures board only showed 9 flights that day.
Thanks for the report. It's really stunning to see the differential degree and pace of return to normalcy across different international hubs. YVR seems close to the state YYZ was in when I flew out from YOW to AMS in May 2020. And on a return trip from TXL to YOW in October 2020, I was struck by how busy TXL and FRA were at that point in contrast to YUL and YOW. More recently, I flew YYZ-FRA-BER and AMS-FRA-YUL-YYZ last month, and noted once again that the European airports seemed to have returned to a normal state of hustle and bustle whereas the same could not be said for their Canadian counterparts.

Mods - I'm sorry this conversation has veered off-track again. Feel free to move / remove. But good conversations tend to flow freely into tangents, and I'm not sure how to prosecute one within the apparent bounds of this forum.
@capedreamer
Consider some of the following:

Most if not all of the Asian countries along with AU and NZ, have had locked borders with no foreigners allowed, or very restrictive entrance permissions. HKG had 21-day hotel quarantines for all arrivals - including residents, and along with Japan, some of the most extreme testing procedures. Look at the topic of the list of Australians all over the world still trying to get on a flight back home. AC has limited ability on pax routes even if they were able to add back YYZ-HKG, YYZ-ICN etc.

On some of the key European routes, AC was flying pax all throughout. As more European countries opened up, AC was able to add back some routes, along with existing an new ones to the Middle East and North Africa.

Thus, it's not hard to see why pax loads to some or all of the few routes AC can fly across the Pacific might be low.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 8:28 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by 24left
Moving these comments over from the meal thread....

@capedreamer
Consider some of the following:

Most if not all of the Asian countries along with AU and NZ, have had locked borders with no foreigners allowed, or very restrictive entrance permissions. HKG had 21-day hotel quarantines for all arrivals - including residents, and along with Japan, some of the most extreme testing procedures. Look at the topic of the list of Australians all over the world still trying to get on a flight back home. AC has limited ability on pax routes even if they were able to add back YYZ-HKG, YYZ-ICN etc.

On some of the key European routes, AC was flying pax all throughout. As more European countries opened up, AC was able to add back some routes, along with existing an new ones to the Middle East and North Africa.

Thus, it's not hard to see why pax loads to some or all of the few routes AC can fly across the Pacific might be low.
Yes no objections with your analysis by any means. Just striking to observe IRL nonetheless.
24left likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 10:14 am

Programs: TK *G
To add to what 24left said, for those very few passengers who do travel to Asia, they choose Asian carriers over AC for a variety of reasons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.