Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Old Aug 1, 20, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K MM, Accor Gold, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Biscuittin View Post
But it is why we wear masks, isn't it? The general advice as I understand it is to wear masks when a distance of 2M from other people can't always be maintained such as in stores and public buildings such as airports. I gather you're a seasoned traveller, so if the scene in the departure lounge worried you could you not just have waited until boarding was nearly complete to clear security?
But it could be maintained if the airport or airline put 30 seconds of thought and a few dollars into it.
Old Aug 1, 20, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
But it could be maintained if the airport or airline put 30 seconds of thought and a few dollars into it.
I'm not an architect. Perhaps you are.

Personally, if I were worried about crowding at a departure gate in a tiny airport my 30 seconds of thought would lead me to decide not to add to the crowding by clearing security before the flight was boarding.
Old Aug 1, 20, 8:48 pm

Programs: AC E50K, Amex Plat, Fairmont Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
This situation could easily have been avoided. If there is going to be a hold-up in boarding and there is a small departure lounge, keep people outside security or line passengers up physically distanced outside on the tarmac. We don't wear masks to allow government regulated institutions to circumvent public health guidelines. This is a huge fail.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 1, 20, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K MM, Accor Gold, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
I'm not an architect. Perhaps you are.

Personally, if I were worried about crowding at a departure gate in a tiny airport my 30 seconds of thought would lead me to decide not to add to the crowding by clearing security before the flight was boarding.
I am an architect. I did not add to the crowding. I was not there.

I am worried about the departure gate. And the general assumption I make is that the corporation advertising how safe they are won't let me get into a crowded indoor situation where I'm stuck 6 inches (sorry, 15 centimetres) from a random person.

I have flown AC domestic in these Covid-filled days. Based on their statements about how they're keeping me safe.

That photo kept no one safe.
Old Aug 2, 20, 12:05 am

Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
Schools are having to measure classrooms, limit capacity, and take out desks. Businesses have put distancing dots on the floor, masked off every 2nd and 3rd chair, and more.

The small airport in PA we sometimes use has dealt with gates space issues for decades by waiting until the plane is ready for boarding before sending people for just that one flight through security.

Airports with crowding in the gate area have a responsibility to find the trouble spots and do what it takes to mitigate. It could be slot restrictions on time, max passenger count on planes, etc. It's clear by the photos posted that officials in that airport have played a blind eye, workers are indifferent, or some of each. Hope the photos get posted on social media or to CBC.

It should be as clear as "if the immediate prior flight had no distancing in the gate you must cancel the rest of the day, regroup, and fix things if you want to fly tomorrow".
xray, canadiancow, gcashin and 2 others like this.

Last edited by expert7700; Aug 2, 20 at 12:12 am
Old Aug 2, 20, 9:45 am

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Well, this has (justifiably) stirred up the pot a bit. After flying home on Friday, I didn't log on yesterday, so it was a surprise to see this many posts on the subject.

We have two camps.

The "don't fly if you don't like it camp":

Originally Posted by yyzgigi View Post
while I get that it sucks, not sure the airport could build a bigger terminal. If youíre not comfortable flying if too many people do the same might be better to stay home. Is kind of a problem to complain about crowds when youíre part of the reason there is one.
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi View Post
You probably shouldn't be flying if you feel this way. Airport infrastructure is what it is and there isn't a lot that can be done about it. AC lost almost 2 billion last quarter. The whole industry has been devastated. The aircraft are doing very few turns per day so they can be cleaned and they are running mostly wide bodies on the transcontinental flights. It's unlikely to improve any time soon as more people start flying again for various reasons.
You are saying the onus is on me. OK, say I didn't travel, I stayed home. The flights to and from YGR are completely full... so everybody else would have been exposed to this anyways - at a high(er) risk of getting sick. Sure, if everybody felt as you do, there would probably be only a handful of "essential" workers on that flight (take, for example, the Hydro Quebec guy). I specifically chose YGR as a "getaway" destination because they actively recruited tourists for the summer season. They wanted us there - unlike so many other places in Canada.

If I don't like a restaurants handling of Covid, I don't go in. If I don't feel comfortable in a supermarket (about as "essential" as you can get), I'll go to a different one. I am already on YGR. I need to leave. I have no escape - and this is a government facility - the same government which mandated social distancing in the first place.

But it is why we wear masks, isn't it? The general advice as I understand it is to wear masks when a distance of 2M from other people can't always be maintained such as in stores and public buildings such as airports. I gather you're a seasoned traveller, so if the scene in the departure lounge worried you could you not just have waited until boarding was nearly complete to clear security?
Not quite. Masks are another layer of security. Most people don't wear them properly so they aren't as effective as claimed. I cleared security 30 minutes before the flight. How much later would you suggest?

And the other camp...

Originally Posted by eigenvector View Post
If the airport terminal does not have sufficient space for physical distancing, its maximum occupancy should be reduced until it does. That's what every other business has to do.

AC boarded from a portable prefab building at YCD for years while it was under construction, I don't see why that can't be done expeditiously here if we're actually trying.

Public health can't be left up to individual action.
Exactly...

I agree. There are so many options, some easier than others. Here are three more:

1. Add an outdoor holding pen for people. It's summer, not winter. You can very easily increase capacity this way.
2. Move the security checkpoint to increase the airside area (I've only been in YGR once so I'm not sure how feasible this would be)
3. Stagger people going through security. There's no reason I have to be through security when boarding begins.
Had the same thoughts about the outside waiting area.

Originally Posted by Fiordland View Post
That airport does have space before security with seating. Should not have been a problem to ditch priority boarding and have people board in the order they make their way through security.
Totally agree. Definitely could have been done.

Transport Canada has really dropped the ball by failing to mandate a minimum amount of physical space per person in airports as provincial health authorities have mandated for nearly all other public places.
Agreed 100%

Originally Posted by expert7700 View Post
Schools are having to measure classrooms, limit capacity, and take out desks. Businesses have put distancing dots on the floor, masked off every 2nd and 3rd chair, and more.

The small airport in PA we sometimes use has dealt with gates space issues for decades by waiting until the plane is ready for boarding before sending people for just that one flight through security.

Airports with crowding in the gate area have a responsibility to find the trouble spots and do what it takes to mitigate. It could be slot restrictions on time, max passenger count on planes, etc. It's clear by the photos posted that officials in that airport have played a blind eye, workers are indifferent, or some of each. Hope the photos get posted on social media or to CBC.

It should be as clear as "if the immediate prior flight had no distancing in the gate you must cancel the rest of the day, regroup, and fix things if you want to fly tomorrow".
My profession has been ground to a standstill because of social distancing measures. If the "don't do it if you don't like it" camp would see it their way, I could go back to work (good for me, probably bad for public health). How fair is it that the same government which is preventing me from working is not respecting its own rules in a place they fully control?
Old Aug 2, 20, 10:06 am

Agree that the situation isn't acceptable. Just pointing out that you could easily have avoided being part of it by waiting to clear security until the flight began boarding and the number of people in the departure lounge had reduced. I'm not clear on what you expected the CATSA agent to whom you complained to do about it.
Old Aug 2, 20, 10:07 am

Programs: AC E50K, Amex Plat, Fairmont Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
This is all controllable and with not much planning (at all) would be easy to correct. AC knows how many people will be on the flight. This is a small airport so easier to manage than say a satellite boarding area at YYZ. It just takes impetus and hopefully jlisi984's written advocacy (which is very relentless when he is so motivated - refer back to minors in the MLL) will make things safer for future passengers at YGR.

Transport Canada shouldn't be using the arguments presented here as an excuse for letting this continue - i.e stay home if you don't like it.
Old Aug 2, 20, 10:20 am

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Agree that the situation isn't acceptable. Just pointing out that you could easily have avoided being part of it by waiting to clear security until the flight began boarding and the number of people in the departure lounge had reduced. I'm not clear on what you expected the CATSA agent to whom you complained to do about it.
understood... I waited until 30 minutes before to clear security. I think three others cleared behind me... not much longer you could have waited. Small airports are iffy, Iíve nearly been caught out before with security closing before a flight. Not to mention that this tactic would have solved the problem for me and not for everybody else in the room.
Old Aug 2, 20, 11:20 am

Transport Canada has really dropped the ball by failing to mandate a minimum amount of physical space per person in airports as provincial health authorities have mandated for nearly all other public places.
Transport will only mandate what Health Canada tells it to mandate.
Old Aug 3, 20, 9:05 am

This morning
AC8050 YYJ-YVR 68+2 infants.
AC8410 YVR-YLW low 30s.
Old Aug 4, 20, 7:16 am

Programs: AC: E50K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
Itís oddly comforting to see that clueless tourists and the usual assortment of .......s are slowly returning to the MLL. Some guy snoring at 90 decibels right in front of the TV, and some family that canít shut the hell up for 11 consecutive seconds.
Old Aug 4, 20, 11:20 am

Programs: Marriott Plat. Hilton Gold. Avis PC. Hertz PC. Aeroplan Diamond. AC Altitude trying to reach 50K.

YVR international. I see 4 flights. FRA, ICN, Hongkong, Nanjing.
Plaza and MLL closed. Skyteam is open though? hahaha

AC607 yhz-yyz. J 5/14. Y about 30 people on A320
AC 103 yyz-yvr. J was completely full. seemed decently packed back there too.

had the same breakfast twice. but will post what i get for lunch on the AC63 yvr-icn. menu sounds pretty good.
Old Aug 4, 20, 12:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat. Hilton Gold. Avis PC. Hertz PC. Aeroplan Diamond. AC Altitude trying to reach 50K.
AC63 YVR-ICN 787
Amenity Kit

jlisi984 likes this.
Old Aug 5, 20, 8:28 am

Programs: AC*E50K, NEXUS, GE
Except, in this case, that page talks about "late July", so it's not helpful.

And now I have a new issue.

Anyone see this before? The only question it asked was whether I was a foreign national. So I did not answer "yes" to any health questions, yet it only tells me what to do if I answered "yes".

I just got the same message for my SFO-.YYZ flight tomorrow. Cow, did you ever find out the cause?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: