Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2021, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This thread originally contained any and all information relating to flying with AC in the times of COVID. As travel has picked up, much of the discussion has been moved to dedicated threads to make topics easier to follow. Threads that may be of particular interest to those travelling during COVID:

Meal threads:
Schedule changes/refunds - temporary COVID-related policies:
The above threads are in the process of winding down as AC moves away from temporary COVID-related policies. Most questions on schedule changes/refunds should be directed to the thread on AC's new permanent schedule change policies

Other AC-related threads:

Pre-travel e-mails:

Information on immigration rules and procedures, and other government requirements, from the Canada forum:
Airport-related threads containing information that may be relevant to AC passengers, but that are not specific to AC (there are many others in the Canada forum; these are a few that have come up frequently):
(Other threads with immigration/government-related questions not specific to AC can be found on the Canada forum, and experiences and questions on those topics should be posted there)
Print Wikipost

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2020, 1:37 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I forgot to post this the other day - the very official looking sign for the temporary SE check-in area at YVR

Old Jul 28, 2020, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Wow. Nice.

Why can't they just drag over the real one?
Old Jul 28, 2020, 2:34 pm

Programs: AC 35k
I was on 133 this morning and had the same meal. It was definitely an improvement service-wise than the outbound.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 6:20 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Well I had to cancel my flight for today. So I'll actually be flying AC domestic tomorrow.
I'm on 116 tomorrow, how about you?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 6:38 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I forgot to post this the other day - the very official looking sign for the temporary SE check-in area at YVR
I usually walk through the regular priority check-in area as it's always been empty, it's a long way around to get to the SE only section.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 5:52 am

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
AC402 YYZ YUL today. A223

C10/10 “Air Canada” express. Lots of face masks with roundels up front but no cleared standbys - so all higher ups.

They cancelled the 11am about a week ago so naturally this one is rather full.

UP Express was quiet but not super empty. Airport curb looked busy. Check in was busy.

Concierge was very nice in the office - expecting us (guess there aren’t as many SEs flying these days). Security is unpleasant with the lack of a priority/Nexus line. Surprising as even YYC has it open. Lounge was a disappointment, so went to Timmies. Line-up massive. About a 20 minute wait in the end.

Concourse was busy - reminded me of pre pandemic levels. Definitely a huge change from a few weeks ago and much busier than when we landed yesterday.

Once again concierge waiting for us at the gate... nice gestures - small but they count!
Old Jul 29, 2020, 10:07 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
jlisi984, you're paining me with that bento meal set!!!
I flew 123 on monday night, with nothing except the wrap + water
At least the concourse was empty

YYZ during COVID Apocalypse
Taken at Jul 27 around 305pm

🦠Ta🦠🦠T

Taken at Jul 27 around 4:30pm
jlisi984 and Diabeetus like this.

Last edited by tcook052; Jul 29, 2020 at 10:27 am Reason: content
Old Jul 29, 2020, 10:54 am

Short hair Francis wow that’s much quieter than yesterday or today. I guess afternoons are quieter...

Had to spend four hours in Montréal... interesting connection. Saw a flight come in from Edmonton - looked very full.

A gentleman dressed in full gear asked to use my phone (?!). Somebody sat right next to us though imaginably there were plenty of empty seats.

YUL seemed quite busy overall. Departure boards show more international than domestic - certainly by capacity if not number of flights... ATH, 4*CDG, MRS, BRU, LHR, TUN, CMN, DOH, ZRH, IST, FRA, PAP
A bit crazy if you ask me!!

YUL YGR is very full. Got the email yesterday about the flight being at capacity...

edit: within eyeshot I see only one empty seat. Kits have terrible hand sanitizer and pink gloves.

Last edited by tcook052; Jul 29, 2020 at 12:50 pm Reason: content
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:49 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by jlisi984
YUL seemed quite busy overall. Departure boards show more international than domestic - certainly by capacity if not number of flights... ATH, 4*CDG, MRS, BRU, LHR, TUN, CMN, DOH, ZRH, IST, FRA, PAP
A bit crazy if you ask me!!
YUL and YYC are polar opposites on international and domestic. YYC is 70/30 domestic/international (normally, not now) and YUL is opposite. It is always international heavy and Europe is relatively safer than the U.S., so not surprising it's picking up.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Nitehawk
I'm on 116 tomorrow, how about you?
Better board soon ... they're almost ready to close the door.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 2:35 pm

Brief spiel about oxygen masks, then the safety video on 116.

I'm really starting to doubt the reports of manual demos
Old Jul 29, 2020, 5:32 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
E-mail received from AC this afternoon, prior to a flight tomorrow (lightly edited for formatting):

Subject: Be prepared for your upcoming trip / Soyez prêt pour votre prochain voyage

A step-by-step guide for preparing to travel / Guide pratique pour vos préparatifs de voyages

Learn more

STAY UP TO DATE WITH NEW TRAVEL PROCESSES Booking reference: ABC123

With our Air Canada CleanCare+ protocols in place, we wanted to take additional steps to further protect and prepare you for travel. With this step-by-step guide, you’ll learn what you can expect throughout your travel.
1. CHECK YOUR ELIGIBILITY AND COMPLETE ENTRY FORMS See if you're eligible to travel and follow the government travel requirements for your destination. This may include completing mandatory entry forms prior to travel.
2. PACKING FOR YOUR TRIP If you are planning on checking in bags, ensure you follow the guidelines and pack as much as you can in those bags, as a minimum cabin baggage allowance will be enforced.
3. CHECKING IN Check in remotely via the Air Canada mobile app, or at aircanada.com and get your boarding pass in advance. Indicate the exact number of checked bags and pay applicable fees to minimize your transactions and additional wait times at the airport.
4. AT THE AIRPORT Be prepared for new airline precautions, like temperature checks, health questionnaires, and cashless payments.
5. BOARDING Board your flight following the gate announcements. This includes a new zonal boarding process and scanning your own boarding pass.
6. ON BOARD Find out how our on-board service has been adjusted to minimize contact.
7. DEPLANING & COLLECTING YOUR BAGS When you’ve arrived at your destination, maintain your distance from others, and follow the new protocols for baggage collection.

If your trip includes travel on United or Lufthansa, we recommend reviewing their travel guidelines as well to ensure you have a smooth trip.

Help us make your journey as seamless as possible by preparing for these steps along the way.

YUL YGR is very full. Got the email yesterday about the flight being at capacity...
This reminds me that I overheard some Jazz pilots talking the other day. A few interesting points:
  • One of the pilots had spent 4-5 days recently doing YUL-YGR turns (I believe there are 2 flights a day, so 2x round trips is pretty much a full day). Most flights were close to full, and the lowest load was 45 pax [I wonder why they're cutting it then? COVID-forced spike in domestic travel inflating loads?]
  • The cutbacks in the route network mean they're doing a lot more deadheading than usual
  • Some pilots are not only flying full hours, but picking up overtime. To their credit, both of these pilots agreed that it was unfair for some guys to be making even more money than usual while a bunch of others are sitting at home, and that Jazz should probably be bringing back some of the laid off pilots if there's so much flying to do
  • Sounds like layoffs went a bit over 50% of the Jazz seniority list. Guys at the bottom of the list who are still flying aren't getting full hours
  • Neither had operated any of the cargo-only DH4 flights, but both were interested. Sounds like those have gone to quite senior guys, for some reason
  • Apparently the YZF overnight layover is popular; there was much disappointment when YEG-YZF was made a same-day turn for a while
  • Both were wondering where the DH3s have been flying. They remarked that they hadn't been seeing any of the DH3 pilots around and all the DH3s they've seen look like they've been parked for a while [for what it's worth, I spent a minute on FlightAware, and it looks like a bunch of the DH3s are still flying, so perhaps these guys just haven't been in the right spots; PlaneSpotters suggests 11/24 are still operating with 13 parked]

Please let us know what you think of YGR. I'm going next week.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Brief spiel about oxygen masks, then the safety video on 116.

I'm really starting to doubt the reports of manual demos
Didn't you say something the other day about one thing not disproving another?
canadiancow and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 5:51 pm

2. PACKING FOR YOUR TRIP If you are planning on checking in bags, ensure you follow the guidelines and pack as much as you can in those bags, as a minimum cabin baggage allowance will be enforced.
I know what they think they are saying, but it reads as if I must carry on a certain minimum amount of baggage.
canadiancow and YYCNoob like this.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 6:25 pm

This reminds me that I overheard some Jazz pilots talking the other day. A few interesting points:
  • One of the pilots had spent 4-5 days recently doing YUL-YGR turns (I believe there are 2 flights a day, so 2x round trips is pretty much a full day). Most flights were close to full, and the lowest load was 45 pax [I wonder why they're cutting it then? COVID-forced spike in domestic travel inflating loads?]
YGR is a very seasonal destination. I wouldn't be surprised to see them extend the flights into September given the current travel situation but generally the season to come here is in earnest July & August.

According to a taxi driver (probably less reliable info than F/As) the Islands had a 3K tourist cap for July and are increasing this to 5K for August... He seemed to be talking more about ferries than planes.

Speaking of which, I'm thankful we weren't on the morning YUL-YGR flight, which has been the talk of the town. Finally got the rundown at the convenience store when I saw the cashier was wearing an AC face mask... She works at the airport in addition to shifts at the convenience store ( some people truly work hard). YUL YGR couldn't land in YGR due to fog, went to YFC. Refueled, tried again, no dice, so now it's in YHZ!!

• The cutbacks in the route network mean they're doing a lot more deadheading than usual
I can also confirm this based on what I've seen, lots of QK pilots in J and Y on all my flights. Have heard them commenting that it's been a long week but they're happy to be flying again...

Both were wondering where the DH3s have been flying. They remarked that they hadn't been seeing any of the DH3 pilots around and all the DH3s they've seen look like they've been parked for a while [for what it's worth, I spent a minute on FlightAware, and it looks like a bunch of the DH3s are still flying, so perhaps these guys just haven't been in the right spots; PlaneSpotters suggests 11/24 are still operating with 13 parked]
Can definitely visually confirm they are flying, saw some being loaded in YUL today.
Please let us know what you think of YGR. I'm going next week.
It's beautiful and I've been enjoying it very much. I had the misfortune of being unable to secure a rental car (though I knew this heading in, when I booked the trip over a month ago...) but from what I can see on foot, by bus, and by taxi it's a place unlike any other in Canada. Very welcoming and hospitable, too. I'm sure you'll enjoy!
Old Jul 29, 2020, 7:07 pm

YGR is a very seasonal destination. I wouldn't be surprised to see them extend the flights into September given the current travel situation but generally the season to come here is in earnest July & August.
Someone had said (probably in a different thread) that AC was permanently ending service at the end of this summer season though.

Speaking of which, I'm thankful we weren't on the morning YUL-YGR flight, which has been the talk of the town. [...] YUL YGR couldn't land in YGR due to fog, went to YFC. Refueled, tried again, no dice, so now it's in YHZ!!
Yikes! I had assumed if my flight didn't make it, it would just be back to YUL... What a nightmare that would be.

It's beautiful and I've been enjoying it very much. I had the misfortune of being unable to secure a rental car (though I knew this heading in, when I booked the trip over a month ago...) but from what I can see on foot, by bus, and by taxi it's a place unlike any other in Canada. Very welcoming and hospitable, too. I'm sure you'll enjoy!
I'm actually just flying in and right back out on the same plane. There were no hotels available when I was looking and I mostly wanted to go to YUL, so I'm actually doing YYC-YUL-YGR-YUL on the same day. Figured I'd look out the window and check out the views, and plan to actually spend some time there if it looks really interesting.
Bohemian1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.