Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2021, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This thread originally contained any and all information relating to flying with AC in the times of COVID. As travel has picked up, much of the discussion has been moved to dedicated threads to make topics easier to follow. Threads that may be of particular interest to those travelling during COVID:

Meal threads:
Schedule changes/refunds - temporary COVID-related policies:
The above threads are in the process of winding down as AC moves away from temporary COVID-related policies. Most questions on schedule changes/refunds should be directed to the thread on AC's new permanent schedule change policies

Other AC-related threads:

Pre-travel e-mails:

Information on immigration rules and procedures, and other government requirements, from the Canada forum:
Airport-related threads containing information that may be relevant to AC passengers, but that are not specific to AC (there are many others in the Canada forum; these are a few that have come up frequently):
(Other threads with immigration/government-related questions not specific to AC can be found on the Canada forum, and experiences and questions on those topics should be posted there)
Print Wikipost

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2020, 11:37 am

Blocked seats?

I've been looking on ExpertFlyer, trying to find a SFO->YYZ flight that's not too packed. I've noticed a lot of blocked seats (e.g. AC 758 on 7/29, all windows are marked blocked in Y, every other seat in J is blocked, etc). At the same time, I've been reading news stories about how AC is no longer blocking middle seats. Previous posts were mixed.

Does anyone have any recent perspective/experience to offer for trans-border flights?
Old Jul 27, 2020, 11:50 am

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by yyzsfoflyer
I've been looking on ExpertFlyer, trying to find a SFO->YYZ flight that's not too packed. I've noticed a lot of blocked seats (e.g. AC 758 on 7/29, all windows are marked blocked in Y, every other seat in J is blocked, etc). At the same time, I've been reading news stories about how AC is no longer blocking middle seats. Previous posts were mixed.

Does anyone have any recent perspective/experience to offer for trans-border flights?
Seat map is not a very accurate way to determine whether a flight is full. Your example flight is no where close to full if you are wondering.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
First, the EF map is not indicative of what's actually available for selection.

As an example, EF shows 21A-30A blocked, but they're all selectable if you attempt to book on AC.com.

Second, an unassigned seat does not mean it won't be filled. There are almost 50 people booked in Y on that flight, but only 27 seats I can't select. And the ones in row 33 are likely blocked for crew rest, meaning half the booked passengers have not even selected a seat.

That being said, on these transborder flights, especially out of SFO, there seem to be a lot of people who don't fly. I've seen ~30% fewer board than were booked on multiple occasions.

I don't know exactly what your goal is, but with 3 booked in J and not even 50 in Y, 758 on Wednesday looks pretty empty.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 12:25 pm

Thanks etkuo and cow, I appreciate your feedback

Main goal is maximum distancing during the flight. I'd rather be in Y with no one next to me, than in a packed J.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 7:48 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Another data point - manual safety video on YULYVR A333.
I had a manual demo on Saturday night too, so 4/4 for me last week. The SD on that last flight provided zero service, so I never got a chance to ask him about it. I'm flying again on Thursday, we'll see what happens then.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 11:17 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
My guess is that its because they have some extra language in the demo surrounding removal of the facemask when it's time to use the oxygen mask.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 12:14 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
My guess is that its because they have some extra language in the demo surrounding removal of the facemask when it's time to use the oxygen mask.
I noticed that language, but it was done before the safety demonstration (or it may have been after; but it definitely was separate), which appeared to be using the same script as before. In which case there would be no reason they couldn't play the video and just make that announcement before or after the video.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 7:10 am

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Flying YYC YYZ today. 788. Booked 15/20, checked in 12/20, leaving full (I think 1 eUp and lots of non revs). Total pax count of flight 79. Other flights to YYZ & YUL have a smidge over 100. YVR flights seem very empty, YMM at 43, and so forth. Only three flights over 100 the whole day.

CleanCare+ kit now has pretzels inside. Back to the awful hand sanitizer.

Let’s see what I get for the meal..

The new system (or some pandemic measures) have made through checking bags with long cnx standard. I have an overnight in YYZ and it automatically checked the bag through... had to work with concierge to get it short checked (annoying).

Latest gossip is that they’re aiming for end of September to re open YYC lounge... good strategy IMO as by that time we’ll be back in lockdown.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 7:54 am

New meal on-board!!

handuk likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 8:01 am

pic upload

coffee. Booze.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 8:18 am

pic sharing
canadiancow and handuk like this.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 8:30 am

Programs: Air Canada A35K, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by jlisi984
Individual bottles of bubbly? I can imagine the corks going flying and bouncing around in the J cabins and causing chaos
Old Jul 28, 2020, 8:36 am

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
I’m on 134 this morning as well, and was going to post the same photos as Jlisi did in the NA Meals thread (I totally meant to post this there, still half asleep from having to get up at 5:30 for the first time in months)

Overall, I’m fairly impressed with the meal box. Presentation was good, and even though cutlery is plastic, it’s sturdy. Yogurt/granola mix was good, cheese plate is a little odd at breakfast, and pastries are fine, given that they are pre-packaged. Beverage service is improved as well, coffee/tea and pre-packaged drinks are available.

Good job AC, credit where credit is due. My only complaint is the 5 or 6 non-revs they jammed the J cabin with. PE went out 1/21, so why not put them in there in the interest of social distancing?

Last edited by VoodooYYC; Jul 28, 2020 at 8:51 am
Old Jul 28, 2020, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by VoodooYYC
I’m on 134 this morning as well, and was going to post the same photos as Jlisi.

Overall, I’m fairly impressed with the meal box. Presentation was good, and even though cutlery is plastic, it’s sturdy. Yogurt/granola mix was good, cheese plate is a little odd at breakfast, and pastries are fine, given that they are pre-packaged. Beverage service is improved as well, coffee/tea and pre-packaged drinks are available.

Good job AC, credit where credit is due. My only complaint is the 5 or 6 non-revs they jammed the J cabin with. PE went out 1/21, so why not put them in there in the interest of social distancing?
on-board miniDO! Yep, same complaint I have and I think lots will agree. Put the non revs in PE... 🤷‍♂️
Old Jul 28, 2020, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Well I had to cancel my flight for today. So I'll actually be flying AC domestic tomorrow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.