Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

    Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 7, 22, 3:23 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Wiki Link
This thread originally contained any and all information relating to flying with AC in the times of COVID. As travel has picked up, much of the discussion has been moved to dedicated threads to make topics easier to follow. Threads that may be of particular interest to those travelling during COVID:

Meal threads:
Schedule changes/refunds - temporary COVID-related policies:
The above threads are in the process of winding down as AC moves away from temporary COVID-related policies. Most questions on schedule changes/refunds should be directed to the thread on AC's new permanent schedule change policies

Other AC-related threads:

Pre-travel e-mails:

Information on immigration rules and procedures, and other government requirements, from the Canada forum:
Airport-related threads containing information that may be relevant to AC passengers, but that are not specific to AC (there are many others in the Canada forum; these are a few that have come up frequently):
(Other threads with immigration/government-related questions not specific to AC can be found on the Canada forum, and experiences and questions on those topics should be posted there)
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 23, 22, 2:57 pm
  #1666  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC S100K, SPG G, Hilton G,Nexus/GE, Amex MR Plat, Hyatt Plat,IHG Plat E
Posts: 4,144
Originally Posted by canopus27 View Post
There's a VIP lounge in YYZ?

I know of two domestic (normal + cafe), two international (normal + signature), and two transborder (normal + shed). Am I missing any?
I have heard that AC VIPs incl company CEOs, ministers, people needing securitySea and such have a VIP lounge area. Maybe part of an existing lounge but a exclusive secured area.
vernonc is offline  
Old Jun 25, 22, 4:40 pm
  #1667  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 7,359
YVR 11:30 this morning.
AC priority check in line longer than the B & C pier security check points combined.
Admittedly not many going through security.
Looked close to a 30 minute line for priority check in. Line stretched past the money change booth.

D pier security was longer than B, C & AC priority lines combined.
tracon is offline  
Old Jun 28, 22, 4:47 pm
  #1668  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC S100K, SPG G, Hilton G,Nexus/GE, Amex MR Plat, Hyatt Plat,IHG Plat E
Posts: 4,144
I wrote to GTAA about metering and they said to contact the airline as they are responsible for metering. So I did write to AC, specifically about holding Nexus passengers for metering when we do not impact the regular immigration/customs line. See below for AC response.
Mods : I know this is Nexus related but specifically trying to get AC to change their policy on metering with Nexus as that's who I fly.I have taken the liberty of forwarding your comments to our Airport Operations Department for their information and internal review on your suggestion for Nexus passengers having the ability to deplane upon arrival before the other passengers.
Thank you for taking the time to contact our office. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back on board again soon.
vancouver25k likes this.
vernonc is offline  
Old Jun 29, 22, 9:39 pm
  #1669  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 658
Anyone recently flown YVR - LHR and able to comment on the experience w/ AC in combination with arriving in LHR?
Delays? Chaos on landing? Lost bags @ LHR?
Departures look *mostly* on time checking Flightradar.

Flying Monday and a bit apprehensive about whether to check a bag or not.
Generally never do but have some items which would be helpful for my trip that I can't carry on.
CanadianMike is offline  
Old Jun 30, 22, 2:31 pm
  #1670  
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 20
Originally Posted by CanadianMike View Post
Anyone recently flown YVR - LHR and able to comment on the experience w/ AC in combination with arriving in LHR?
Delays? Chaos on landing? Lost bags @ LHR?
Departures look *mostly* on time checking Flightradar.

Flying Monday and a bit apprehensive about whether to check a bag or not.
Generally never do but have some items which would be helpful for my trip that I can't carry on.
I made this trip last week and everything was fine from the YVR end. I didn't check a bag so I can't speak to the baggage situation at LHR but apart from some chaos at the egates due to almost 50% of passengers getting redirected to the human manned immigration gates the LHR end was fine too.
notanothersegment is offline  
Old Jun 30, 22, 2:47 pm
  #1671  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: YVR
Programs: AC 75k, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC
Posts: 1,651
Anyone know what's going on with YYZ-BCN tonight? A friend of a friend has a confirmed ticket bought months ago with CIBC points.. and now he's way way down on the standby list with a full flight?

Ron.
newfbc is offline  
Old Jun 30, 22, 2:48 pm
  #1672  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: YWG/LHR
Programs: Aeroplan-SE-2018/19/20
Posts: 153
I arrived in LHR this morning. Arrived at 8 am. The Passport queue was super long, but moved well, it was 30 minutes to get to the e-gates. The Egates would not read my passport, so did the agent check. Super fast no line ups. I did not check a bag, but did look at the baggage area. It appeared a little bit jammed, but my sense it was running well. There is backlog to work out. Heathrow did cause airlines to cancel 30 flights this morning to ease congestion. I believe that was outbound.

The passport queue was longer than normal, but is usually busy between 7 am and 11 am every day. A lot of large wide body planes from around the world land in those hours and count on 300-450 per plane. It fills up quickly. I try to get in earlier (6:30 am) arrivals, except that flight became 8 am arrival.

My advice would be travel with carry on, eliminate the risk and potential grief.
The Macker is offline  
Old Jun 30, 22, 3:01 pm
  #1673  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Posts: 39,877
Originally Posted by newfbc View Post
Anyone know what's going on with YYZ-BCN tonight? A friend of a friend has a confirmed ticket bought months ago with CIBC points.. and now he's way way down on the standby list with a full flight?

Ron.
Nothing's "going on".

It's overbooked.
canadiancow is online now  
Old Jun 30, 22, 4:35 pm
  #1674  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 658
Originally Posted by notanothersegment View Post
I made this trip last week and everything was fine from the YVR end. I didn't check a bag so I can't speak to the baggage situation at LHR but apart from some chaos at the egates due to almost 50% of passengers getting redirected to the human manned immigration gates the LHR end was fine too.
Originally Posted by The Macker View Post
I arrived in LHR this morning. Arrived at 8 am. The Passport queue was super long, but moved well, it was 30 minutes to get to the e-gates. The Egates would not read my passport, so did the agent check. Super fast no line ups. I did not check a bag, but did look at the baggage area. It appeared a little bit jammed, but my sense it was running well. There is backlog to work out. Heathrow did cause airlines to cancel 30 flights this morning to ease congestion. I believe that was outbound.

The passport queue was longer than normal, but is usually busy between 7 am and 11 am every day. A lot of large wide body planes from around the world land in those hours and count on 300-450 per plane. It fills up quickly. I try to get in earlier (6:30 am) arrivals, except that flight became 8 am arrival.

My advice would be travel with carry on, eliminate the risk and potential grief.
Thanks for the DP's. Flying AC 862 so don't get in until 1330.
Want to take hiking poles as I'm heading on a trek in the Dolomites after London and they're unfortunately a prohibited carry on item...
Anyways, both comments are somewhat re-assuring!
CanadianMike is offline  
Old Jul 2, 22, 1:07 am
  #1675  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: YVR
Posts: 1,943
So this was the sight at domestic YVR today. About 5 or 6 equally large piles. Pretty much all bags from connecting flights as best I could tell.

Happily my bag showed up within 7 minutes of me getting to carousel 4. **Of note to less frequent travellers from itty bitty BC airports, carousel 4 is virtually always where they end up. I mention that because the screens were about 30 minutes behind in listing arriving flights
Bohemian1, YYC3722 and kalderlake like this.
nomadic.relief is offline  
Old Jul 7, 22, 10:23 pm
  #1676  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Programs: AC S100K
Posts: 1,009
My family flew to Sydney, Australia yesterday. We all flew AC 127 from YYZ to YVR, then AC 33 from YVR to SYD. Before that some flew in from IAD and some from ORD. We were prepared for things to go haywire but it was actually a very good and normal day of flying. We had minor delays here and there, but with good planning (no tight connections) none of them ended up being consequential. There was no wait at the SE desk at YYZ to get our boarding passes printed, no line at security, and no crowding in the Cafe at Toronto or the international lounge at Vancouver. We even breezed through the border at YYZ with the e-gates. Overall, it mostly felt like old times (other than having to wear a mask through it all).
TheCanuckian is offline  
Old Jul 7, 22, 11:58 pm
  #1677  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 4,684
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief View Post
So this was the sight at domestic YVR today. About 5 or 6 equally large piles. Pretty much all bags from connecting flights as best I could tell.
Sure looks like massive # of unattended bags on (gasp) airport property.

​​​​​Wait... If a passenger leaves a bag unattended, isn't it a huge security risk?

If AC says leaving hundreds of bags out in the open is safe, why did we once pay the luggage storage counter on that level $24 to keep our bags for a half day walking/shopping trip into Vancover?

​​​​​
expert7700 is offline  
Old Jul 8, 22, 12:05 am
  #1678  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: YVR
Posts: 1,943
Originally Posted by expert7700 View Post
... why did we once pay the luggage storage counter on that level $24 to keep our bags for a half day walking/shopping trip into Vancover? ​​​​​
Because you are a FOTSG? I have more than once "forgotten" to claim my bag in a timely manner when I didn't want to do just that and knew I could easily access my bag later when I "remembered" to retrieve it.

*not all airports are a good fit for this kind of strategic abandonment, YVR is.
Bohemian1 and YYC3722 like this.
nomadic.relief is offline  
Old Jul 8, 22, 6:13 am
  #1679  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: YOW
Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred, Nexus/GE
Posts: 4,005
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief View Post
So this was the sight at domestic YVR today. About 5 or 6 equally large piles. Pretty much all bags from connecting flights as best I could tell.

Happily my bag showed up within 7 minutes of me getting to carousel 4. **Of note to less frequent travellers from itty bitty BC airports, carousel 4 is virtually always where they end up. I mention that because the screens were about 30 minutes behind in listing arriving flights
On a positive note, nice to see all of the bags behaving nicely and getting along with each other while waiting for their owners.
HerpaYvr is offline  
Old Jul 8, 22, 7:28 am
  #1680  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Posts: 39,877
My YVR-YLW was like Y18 a day ago.

Now it's...full.
canadiancow is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread