Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Old Aug 21, 2021, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This thread originally contained any and all information relating to flying with AC in the times of COVID. As travel has picked up, much of the discussion has been moved to dedicated threads to make topics easier to follow. Threads that may be of particular interest to those travelling during COVID:

Meal threads:
Schedule changes/refunds - temporary COVID-related policies:
The above threads are in the process of winding down as AC moves away from temporary COVID-related policies. Most questions on schedule changes/refunds should be directed to the thread on AC's new permanent schedule change policies

Other AC-related threads:

Pre-travel e-mails:

Information on immigration rules and procedures, and other government requirements, from the Canada forum:
Airport-related threads containing information that may be relevant to AC passengers, but that are not specific to AC (there are many others in the Canada forum; these are a few that have come up frequently):
(Other threads with immigration/government-related questions not specific to AC can be found on the Canada forum, and experiences and questions on those topics should be posted there)
Print Wikipost

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Old Jun 17, 2022, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by lcohen999
While the massive lines are not new. this email and text are (to me) (TB) tomorrow. What is interesting is the mention of Nexus/Priority
I got that e-mail for a Sunday flight to LAS a couple of weeks ago. Security took 2 minutes and US Customs with NEXUS under 5 minutes... but the regular US Customs line was huge. Plenty of lounge time for me. YMMV.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 4:38 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Not sure if this is the right thread..... does anyone know if you have to collect your bags in DEL and clear immig/customs before heading to a domestic flight ? It was booked on one PNR. YYZ-DEL-BOM.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 9:30 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by The Lev
I got that e-mail for a Sunday flight to LAS a couple of weeks ago. Security took 2 minutes and US Customs with NEXUS under 5 minutes... but the regular US Customs line was huge. Plenty of lounge time for me. YMMV.
Was the same with me...for that flight I took.

I suspect this email was a "AC covering its behind" with people showing up late
Old Jun 20, 2022, 7:18 am

Programs: AC 75K
Don't know the best thread for this. I noticed that AC has a flexible change policy in place for travel to/from/via YYZ.

1. Free change to switch to YTZ if the itinerary is to/from via YOW or YUL
2. Free change to extend the connection time between flights
kalderlake and WesternCDN like this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Don't know the best thread for this. I noticed that AC has a flexible change policy in place for travel to/from/via YYZ.

1. Free change to switch to YTZ if the itinerary is to/from via YOW or YUL
2. Free change to extend the connection time between flights
Thanks, just noticed that. Looks like only valid from until June 30th (for now)?

Originally Posted by Air Canada
Due to longer than usual delays at Toronto Pearson Airport (YYZ), we’ve implemented new policies that make it easier for you to change your flight(s). These options are available for Air Canada tickets purchased for travel between June 15 and no later than June 30, 2022.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
From the anecdotal stories (excluding weather-related ones) I've heard in person, or read about here and elsewhere, it seems that many of these delays occur after boarding... is this somewhat correct?
Old Jun 20, 2022, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by vernonc
Not sure if this is the right thread..... does anyone know if you have to collect your bags in DEL and clear immig/customs before heading to a domestic flight ? It was booked on one PNR. YYZ-DEL-BOM.
Got the answer from the DEL concierge. You have to pick up your bags, clear customs and then drop off to your connecting airline if your final destination is in india. All airside so no need to clear security again. And you can hand carry duty free including liquor provided its in a duty free sealed bag.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 11:18 am

Got the answer from the DEL concierge. You have to pick up your bags, clear customs and then drop off to your connecting airline if your final destination is in india. All airside so no need to clear security again. And you can hand carry duty free including liquor provided its in a duty free sealed bag.
Off topic likely for the thread, but once you've touched your checked bags, you should be considered non-sterile and require re-screening.

There are things that you can carry in your checked bags that are prohibited in the cabin. I'd be surprised if this was the case.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 1:31 pm
wjw

Programs: Air Canada - Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
On the other hand…

I may have just lucked out, but here’s a data point from my FRA-YYZ today. I wasn’t connecting, and was in J with no checked bags, and don’t currently have NEXUS as I let it lapse during Covid and only just got around to re applying…. But with all that said things were quick.

The flight was a little delayed, but the door opened at the gate at 13:27. They let connecting passengers off first, which was a lot of people but that makes sense for the route and they did check boarding passes. I was the first to the door after the connecting passengers disembarked and at 13:37 they let off 50 people, and I was the first.

I walk fast, but I was through Customs by 13:47.

I know it doesn’t always go so smoothly, but good to provide data when the system “works” too. As much as I have come to expect the J Cabin to disembark first, honestly there is a part of me that wonders if, with tweaks, this could end up being a better system permanently. I speak only from having had tight connections and a back row of Y, and maybe this is a small courtesy that could be afforded.

If they disembark 50 people after connections within 10 minutes that also seems reasonable as it clears out J and likely all of Premium Economy (I was in the back J cabin and was the only one that didn’t have a connecting flight, not sure what the front J cabin looked like).
Old Jun 22, 2022, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
First time on one of the new A220's! Looking nice and clean.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Four out of four flights on my itinerary late, with random, and mutually incompatible excuses, so neither honesty or timeliness are part of AC’s DNA.

And, as for the MLL at YYZ, I have never seen such a shocking excuse for a lounge.

AC may be half the price of other airlines but their general awfulness means never again.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Four out of four flights on my itinerary late, with random, and mutually incompatible excuses, so neither honesty or timeliness are part of AC’s DNA.

And, as for the MLL at YYZ, I have never seen such a shocking excuse for a lounge.

AC may be half the price of other airlines but their general awfulness means never again.
Which lounge at YYZ ? They have 4 lounges at YYZ. Domestic, Transborder (US), International and Signature (International).
The Signature lounge is quite good. The International lounge can get packed with food a complete hit and miss, specially the bar code ordering. Domestic is ok. TB is the worst.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Which lounge at YYZ ? They have 4 lounges at YYZ. Domestic, Transborder (US), International and Signature (International).
The Signature lounge is quite good. The International lounge can get packed with food a complete hit and miss, specially the bar code ordering. Domestic is ok. TB is the worst.
They have 6, actually.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
They have 6, actually.
Well yes if you include the grab and go in Dom, the smaller lounge at the US shed terminal and the VIP. I assume thats what you mean. Did I miss any ?
I just listed the ones the poster would most likely have gone too given the US domicile.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 1:05 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Well yes if you include the grab and go in Dom, the smaller lounge at the US shed terminal and the VIP. I assume thats what you mean. Did I miss any ?
I just listed the ones the poster would most likely have gone too given the US domicile.
There's a VIP lounge in YYZ?

I know of two domestic (normal + cafe), two international (normal + signature), and two transborder (normal + shed). Am I missing any?
canadiancow and YYC3722 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.