Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Old Aug 21, 21, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This thread originally contained any and all information relating to flying with AC in the times of COVID. As travel has picked up, much of the discussion has been moved to dedicated threads to make topics easier to follow. Threads that may be of particular interest to those travelling during COVID:

Meal threads:
Schedule changes/refunds - temporary COVID-related policies:
The above threads are in the process of winding down as AC moves away from temporary COVID-related policies. Most questions on schedule changes/refunds should be directed to the thread on AC's new permanent schedule change policies

Other AC-related threads:

Pre-travel e-mails:

Information on immigration rules and procedures, and other government requirements, from the Canada forum:
Airport-related threads containing information that may be relevant to AC passengers, but that are not specific to AC (there are many others in the Canada forum; these are a few that have come up frequently):
(Other threads with immigration/government-related questions not specific to AC can be found on the Canada forum, and experiences and questions on those topics should be posted there)
Print Wikipost

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Old Jun 20, 20, 6:26 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, DL PM, WS Plat, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I've been using those sanitizers I got from AC last week in the past few days.

I previously knocked the Ecological hand sanitizer, and stand by that. Even with very small quantities, it always seems to leave some residue.
​​​​​​
Used the Bacti Control recently though, and that one is decent.
YYC3722 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 20, 7:07 pm

Programs: AC50 MM
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi
How does one wear their mask when eating...
Like this
Old Jun 20, 20, 8:07 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, DL PM, WS Plat, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
How does one wear their mask when eating...
It doesn't specify where you have to wear it, so maybe you can just wear it around your forehead?
YYCNoob likes this.
Old Jun 21, 20, 5:19 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
First flight yesterday YEG-YVR. Could have fired a cannon through the airport it was so quiet. Flight was full in both cabins (although the aisle seats were all blocked in economy). No service in either cabin. Not an especially pleasant experience. Don't think I am at all interested in flying long haul until service in J returns (which may not be for a long time).
Were you on 242 (11:50 flight)? AC check-in at YEG was packed, with long lines in both the Priority and regular sections. Screening was almost empty, and the concourse was quiet, but steady flow of people. This flight was also full in J & in Y, except for middle seats.
Old Jun 21, 20, 5:29 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Were you on 242 (11:50 flight)? AC check-in at YEG was packed, with long lines in both the Priority and regular sections. Screening was almost empty, and the concourse was quiet, but steady flow of people. This flight was also full in J & in Y, except for middle seats.
No I was on the evening flight - 242 is an eastbound flight number btw so I suspect you mean 241. The flight I was on was full but check in and security were pretty empty.
Old Jun 21, 20, 8:32 pm

No I was on the evening flight - 242 is an eastbound flight number btw so I suspect you mean 241. The flight I was on was full but check in and security were pretty empty.
You're right - I mistyped the number.
By no means were the airports busy, but compared to the numbers of people traveling a month ago - it's positively bustling!
Old Jun 21, 20, 9:33 pm

Today. AC8270 YCD-YVR 35pax
Old Jun 25, 20, 9:55 am

Programs: Aeroplan 25K , UA ,WJ, HA, AMEX AP Reserve
TD AP Visa free bag=manual checkin still!

I need to fly to YYZ next week to assist with ailing elderly parents. If it wasnt for this,
I wouldnt even think of flying right now. Reading all of the procedures for checkin, boarding & flying
on the AC website and I was prepared for a "no-touch" seamless experience with online checkin,
bag drop, priority boarding etc etc when I realized if I want my free checked bag I need to see the agent
so they can manually override the bag charge with the TD credit card. I wish they could get this
on automatic after how many years! ( I havent flown on an award ticket for a while so I assume this is still the case)
Old Jun 25, 20, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by muskoka
I need to fly to YYZ next week to assist with ailing elderly parents. If it wasnt for this,
I wouldnt even think of flying right now. Reading all of the procedures for checkin, boarding & flying
on the AC website and I was prepared for a "no-touch" seamless experience with online checkin,
bag drop, priority boarding etc etc when I realized if I want my free checked bag I need to see the agent
so they can manually override the bag charge with the TD credit card. I wish they could get this
on automatic after how many years! ( I havent flown on an award ticket for a while so I assume this is still the case)
Some airports, if not airlines, are currently working on overcoming this very concern. They have been innovating for years, but are accelerating their efforts due to the pandemic. Their aim is to convert many airport tasks to 'contact-free' so that touching common surfaces & exchanging items between people falls to a minimum. Kiosks, bag drops, printing boarding passes & bag tags...the list goes on. Frankly, much of it is pure theatre in a desperate attempt to encourage people to fly (ie: spend money) who may otherwise feel it's unsafe to do so. The current airport experience is no different than making a trip to the grocery store or any other public place in terms of exposure to a virus. The main improvements made (in airports and every other place) have been the hyper-awareness of hand-washing, regular cleaning of surfaces, the wearing of masks and the reduction in sick people venturing out of their homes. All but the mask usage should have been drilled into us since infanthood. Mandatory temperature checks, blocked middle seats and a reliance upon passengers to be honest in answering questions about their pre-flight activity are a farce and only increases expense to the airlines themselves with very little benefit in preventing viral transmission. They're worthwhile steps to minimize risk to possible litigation, but not to prevent community spread.

As with so many issues, fear and ignorance are the main drivers, while self-education and common-sense actions will help us reduce the possibility of becoming infected.

Last edited by CZAMFlyer; Jun 25, 20 at 10:46 am Reason: Edited to add a comment about questionnaires & legal motivations.
Old Jun 25, 20, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, AA PPro, UA Gold, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by muskoka
( I havent flown on an award ticket for a while so I assume this is still the case)
Not a reasonable assumption given that they have an entirely new system running.
Old Jun 25, 20, 12:33 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Anyone know what's the COVID-19 catering like in domestic lie-flat J? (777 / 787) (e.g. YYZ-YVR)
Old Jun 25, 20, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by cooleddie
Anyone know what's the COVID-19 catering like in domestic lie-flat J? (777 / 787) (e.g. YYZ-YVR)
Detailed upthread. Lie-flat is irrelevant at the moment, same crappy chicken wrap. Best to BYOF or eat beforehand.
Old Jun 25, 20, 1:22 pm

I have an upcoming flight next week. I booked economy and have 25K status from the promo Aeroplan recently ran. I can't understand why I would use 5 credits + $75 co-pay to upgrade. It's just a short flight from YEG-YVR.

-no lounge
-no food or drinks

I can't think of any reason business class is better than economy for this kind of flight. If Air Canada is trying to get people flying again, offering zero service isn't helping.
Old Jun 25, 20, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, AC35k
Originally Posted by splicer100
I can't think of any reason business class is better than economy for this kind of flight. If Air Canada is trying to get people flying again, offering zero service isn't helping.
lol, they want me to bid-upgrade $375 minimum for a 4 hour domestic on an A220 (cost <$200). Good luck with that AC
Old Jun 25, 20, 2:02 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by splicer100
There's not really much point unless you get a lay flat and it's a red eye. Otherwise, agreed - without services it's not really worth it. You are better to go with Y and if you're paying real $, buy a Comfort fare with full refundability.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.