Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2021, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This thread originally contained any and all information relating to flying with AC in the times of COVID. As travel has picked up, much of the discussion has been moved to dedicated threads to make topics easier to follow. Threads that may be of particular interest to those travelling during COVID:

Meal threads:
Schedule changes/refunds - temporary COVID-related policies:
The above threads are in the process of winding down as AC moves away from temporary COVID-related policies. Most questions on schedule changes/refunds should be directed to the thread on AC's new permanent schedule change policies

Other AC-related threads:

Pre-travel e-mails:

Information on immigration rules and procedures, and other government requirements, from the Canada forum:
Airport-related threads containing information that may be relevant to AC passengers, but that are not specific to AC (there are many others in the Canada forum; these are a few that have come up frequently):
(Other threads with immigration/government-related questions not specific to AC can be found on the Canada forum, and experiences and questions on those topics should be posted there)
Print Wikipost

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2022, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis

Are the 3 of you suggesting we need to start a "Where is our Cashews & Kit Kats" campaign?
No.

i guess I forgot to mention the NA SS snack basket, since I have yet to receive one in J... but have received it in PY during covid ops. So that one seems a bit confusing to me.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 1:17 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Onboard AC1286 PHX-YYZ right now.

A couple interesting observations and perhaps one question:

1. One passenger did not have the requisite Covid documents (sounded like it was a missing or ineligible test result) at the gate and was denied boarding.

2. 1D next to me remained empty until doors almost closed. Just before I was about to stretch out though, the SD went into Y to bring up a passenger. So not YBYL!

3. As we took off, I suddenly realized no one at PHX requested to see my ArriveCAN. Was this a miss on the part of the AC gate agent or is this not required anymore?
Old Feb 20, 2022, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by capedreamer

2. 1D next to me remained empty until doors almost closed. Just before I was about to stretch out though, the SD went into Y to bring up a passenger. So not YBYL!
How do you know that this pax was on the upgrade waitlist?
Old Feb 20, 2022, 1:32 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by yyznomad
No.

i guess I forgot to mention the NA SS snack basket, since I have yet to receive one in J... but have received it in PY during covid ops. So that one seems a bit confusing to me.
i haven't seen the NA SS snack basket back either, saw the PY one on the red-eye last week.
Why do it differently? Who knows???

3. As we took off, I suddenly realized no one at PHX requested to see my ArriveCAN. Was this a miss on the part of the AC gate agent or is this not required anymore?
The way I read the regulations were, as long as you stay airside and not enter Canada.
The Arrivecan, the PCR testing doesn't apply to you at all.

You are exempt from testing and quarantine requirements, as long as you remain in the secure transit area to complete your connection within 24 hours.
If you need to leave the airport or the secure transit area due to a flight cancellation or delay, you become subject to mandatory quarantine until your flight departs.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ictions/border
Old Feb 20, 2022, 1:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Onboard AC1286 PHX-YYZ right now.

A couple interesting observations and perhaps one question:

1. One passenger did not have the requisite Covid documents (sounded like it was a missing or ineligible test result) at the gate and was denied boarding.

I'm not sure I've ever had AC check my ArriveCAN, only CBSA.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
How do you know that this pax was on the upgrade waitlist?
I do not. What I observed was the gate agent coming onboard manifest in hand, speaking to the SD, and then the SD going to the back to bring up the pax. You’re right; the YBYL comment was some editorializing on my part.

The way I read the regulations were, as long as you stay airside and not enter Canada.
The Arrivecan, the PCR testing doesn't apply to you at all.

You are exempt from testing and quarantine requirements, as long as you remain in the secure transit area to complete your connection within 24 hours.
If you need to leave the airport or the secure transit area due to a flight cancellation or delay, you become subject to mandatory quarantine until your flight departs.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ictions/border
I’m entering Canada today though.
yyznomad likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 1:47 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
I’m entering Canada today though.
Ok that is strange.

Defacto, yes either the check-in counter or at the gate, someone should've check it.
Dejure, chances are someone is lazy...

This is in timatic, via EF visa/health/passport section

Passengers must submit their information electronically, at most 72
hours before arrival, through the ArriveCAN app or the website

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...arrivecan.html

Passengers must present an ArriveCAN receipt before boarding.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 1:57 pm

Ok that is strange.

Defacto, yes either the check-in counter or at the gate, someone should've check it.
Dejure, chances are someone is lazy...

This is in timatic, via EF visa/health/passport section

Passengers must submit their information electronically, at most 72
hours before arrival, through the ArriveCAN app or the website

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...arrivecan.html

Passengers must present an ArriveCAN receipt before boarding.
Ok weird. Just completed it onboard using wifi.
Short hair Francis likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 10:58 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I was asked to show my ArriveCAN barcode when checking in at SFO yesterday.

It was a bit odd, since the AC agent who was checking me in asked to see it and the agent who was standing behind her told her not to bother. Training, perhaps?
Old Feb 21, 2022, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I had an agent check mine in VIE a few weeks ago as well (me and my wife)

Can't wait to get rid of this app
Old Feb 21, 2022, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I was asked to show my ArriveCAN barcode when checking in at SFO yesterday.

It was a bit odd, since the AC agent who was checking me in asked to see it and the agent who was standing behind her told her not to bother. Training, perhaps?
Originally Posted by whitethunder
I had an agent check mine in VIE a few weeks ago as well (me and my wife)

Can't wait to get rid of this app
The whole thing seems to be becoming quite random. As mentioned, no one at PHX ask to see it. Shortly before landing, the FA did mention we all needed to have this ready (too late for anyone who wasn't aware of this before getting onboard and didn't want to pay for for onboard wifi). Upon landing in YYZ, no one asked to see it. Also, when I filled it out inflight, I noticed I wasn't asked to upload my test result. Maybe I'm misremembering, but I recall being asked to do this in the past? In any case, I also can't wait until all this theatre is abandoned.
whitethunder and vancouver25k like this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 1:01 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
The whole thing seems to be becoming quite random. As mentioned, no one at PHX ask to see it. Shortly before landing, the FA did mention we all needed to have this ready (too late for anyone who wasn't aware of this before getting onboard and didn't want to pay for for onboard wifi). Upon landing in YYZ, no one asked to see it. Also, when I filled it out inflight, I noticed I wasn't asked to upload my test result. Maybe I'm misremembering, but I recall being asked to do this in the past? In any case, I also can't wait until all this theatre is abandoned.
ArriveCan never asked for the actual download of the test. The only download was of the vaccination receipt. If you show up to CBSA and you don't have the arrivecan receipt, that's your problem. Sure, the airllines are supposed to check that you've done it - you get the fine for not having it filled out. It's connected to your passport so they're likely already aware if you don't have it when you show your documents.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 1:30 pm

Programs: AC SE
Upon landing in YYZ, no one asked to see it.
That’s because your information pops up when they scan your passport. Hence, they don’t need the code.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by xray
ArriveCan never asked for the actual download of the test. The only download was of the vaccination receipt. If you show up to CBSA and you don't have the arrivecan receipt, that's your problem. Sure, the airllines are supposed to check that you've done it - you get the fine for not having it filled out. It's connected to your passport so they're likely already aware if you don't have it when you show your documents.
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
That’s because your information pops up when they scan your passport. Hence, they don’t need the code.
Thank you for the clarifications / corrections. I can't keep up with the constantly evolving rules and just want wait until all this is over.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 4:05 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Thus why the odd AC agent asking to see it is, well, odd.

Maybe they are just trying to warn the FOTSGs who may be unaware. Dunno

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.