Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Changing FF Program from AC to United on AC Award Ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2020, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat

Hi there, going through bad travel withdrawal so of course I booked another trip for next Feb!

I booked a round trip from YYZ to Hawaii using Aeroplan miles in economy, with 1 segment on AC metal and 3 segments on United, for three pax: YYZ-LAX-OGG and HNL-SFO-YYZ.

Im United silver, and Aeroplan Silver. My main concern is checked bags— we will have at least two checked bags. Holding an Aeroplan Visa Infinite CC entitles me to a free checked bag, but condition is that I must have my Aeroplan number attached to the ticket at checking in— that’s the first segment YYZ- LAX.

I will have an 11 hour overnight layover at LAX so assuming we have to take the luggage out, even though we have pre-cleared custom at YYZ.

For the rest of my segments- all on United, so prior to LAX-OGG, I would like to approach an agent at the counter at airport and change the FF attached to the ticket to United to benefit from the 1 free bag and priority boarding if possible. I don’t have any unrealistic hope of being upgraded given we have three pax.

Is it possible?

Also, for 8:30 AM departure on a Sunday morning at LAX to OGG, how early should I get to the airport? We have TSA pre-check.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
yes that can be done. Just tell the agent at check-in to change the FQTV # to UA.

Does not matter whether this is pre-clearance or not since it sounds like you have an overnight in LAX, so bags will check to LAX.

This should probably be moved to the appropriate general discussion thread.

1 hr prior w/ TSA pre should be plenty.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
Does not matter whether this is pre-clearance or not since it sounds like you have an overnight in LAX, so bags will check to LAX.
Is that specific to CA->US connections?
Or specific to AC->UA?

I was recently travelling YVR-LAX-PTY-GEO with a night in LAX, and my luggage was checked through all the way. I did not have to claim/recheck it in LAX. First leg was AC, rest was Copa.

Only on the return did I have to pick it up and recheck it - because, then, I had to go through immigration at LAX.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sokolov
Is that specific to CA->US connections?
Or specific to AC->UA?

I was recently travelling YVR-LAX-PTY-GEO with a night in LAX, and my luggage was checked through all the way. I did not have to claim/recheck it in LAX. First leg was AC, rest was Copa.

Only on the return did I have to pick it up and recheck it - because, then, I had to go through immigration at LAX.
I changed the flights to get a stopover in SFO and no more AC segment— all on United. Definitely going to change the FF# to United.

Question: can I change the FF # on the Aeroplan ticket any time before checking in? If not can I do it online or do I have to call AC or United? Can’t seem to do it online under United even if I’m logged in.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 9:32 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
Question: can I change the FF # on the Aeroplan ticket any time before checking in? If not can I do it online or do I have to call AC or United? Can’t seem to do it online under United even if I’m logged in.
You would have to do it by phone.

If you were flying AC, you could definitely do it online at check-in. Not sure with UA.

Given that we're 11 months out from the flight, I'd suggest being a decent person and not tying up phone agents for this now. Waiting a few months won't make a difference.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 9:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I have never ever ever ever had any issues changing my FF number on an Aeroplan booking operated by UA. You can do it once online, and subsequent changes must be called in.

Ever.

But I agree with Adam about waiting to call unless there were some useful reason to get your status on the booking. And as a UA*S, I don't think there is.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 6:09 am
Original Poster

I’m not in a rush — just wanted to get some data points. Thought could do it online but nope, the FF field has no edit button.
Gonna call 2 days before checking jn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.