Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
As of April 13, 2021 (in conjunction with the federal government bailout), AC is providing refunds for flights cancelled due to COVID, which applies to tickets with travel after February 1, 2020, and purchased before April 13, 2021. This includes flights cancelled by customers rather than AC.

Going forward (i.e. tickets purchased on or after April 13, 2021), cancelled flights will be refunded if AC does not offer a re-booking option with departure +/- 3 hours from the original time.

AC refund portal

Online refund request form

Press release on the bailout
Print Wikipost

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2020, 10:06 am

Programs: AC SE, UA S, Bonvoy Titanium
I did get the miles for a cancelled booking to miles, but no gift cards yet.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 10:15 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by recreationaltimetraveller
I did get the miles for a cancelled booking to miles, but no gift cards yet.
How long did it take between when you'd submitted the request and got the miles?
Old Jul 28, 2020, 10:40 am

Programs: AC 50K, WS Gold, Bonvoy Plat
For reference, I received the gift card and PIN emails July 27 for a cancelled domestic flight that was set to fly out June 5 return June 8. I made the call to AC about this flight June 3. I also had filled out the online AC refund form the first week of July but not sure if that had any bearing on the gift card email time line.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 1:19 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA S, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by gcashin
How long did it take between when you'd submitted the request and got the miles?
5 weeks. I made requests earlier for gift cards, so maybe this was easier to implement.
gcashin likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 2:06 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Well it's been 6 weeks for me now. It's a touch frustrating as I would use the gift card right away to book flight towards the end of December. I need it since the fare difference is less than what I paid in the first place and I don't want to lose the residual value.

I was thinking of calling into customer service but I am guessing the response is, please send an email and we will get back to you in 6-8 weeks.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 2:44 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by dr_torch
I was thinking of calling into customer service but I am guessing the response is, please send an email and we will get back to you in 6-8 weeks.
You can't call in to customer service, only reservations. A limited number of things are in their hands. I'm sure there's nothing they can do to speed this up. And given the massive queue, I suspect an e-mail to customer service wouldn't do anything to speed it up either.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 2:55 pm

I've got some funds tied up in credits with AC, and I tried to use one recently cancelled booking to rebook using a credit for a cancelled flight rather than request the gift card and wait 5+ weeks. What a mess.

I tried to use a credit from a cancelled YYC-PDX to rebook and use on a YYC-LAS. Essentially because the taxes/surcharges are different, most of the taxes/fees couldn't be applied towards the new booking, so I'd effectively forefeit a significant part of the taxes/fees which amounted to about $160 for 2 pax. Spent over an hour on the phone with Reservations and they couldn't get it to work without forefeiting a significant amount of the value.

So AC refuses to refund bookings that they've cancelled, the vouchers have so many strings attached that it's unlikely to get the full value out of them, and the wait time to get a cancelled booking converted into a gift card seems to be 5 weeks and counting for many people. Very annoying.
unclepants and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 3:29 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
You can't call in to customer service, only reservations. A limited number of things are in their hands. I'm sure there's nothing they can do to speed this up. And given the massive queue, I suspect an e-mail to customer service wouldn't do anything to speed it up either.
There must be somebody that I can irritate? I'm usually quite good at it
Old Jul 28, 2020, 4:07 pm

Still waiting on the AC travel voucher for a flight canceled June 10th and a second June 15th. Both trips were booked with "good will gesture" credits in entirety. Glad to hear you folks are also having delays at it isn't just me due to these credits.

So 7 weeks and no word for the June 10th one.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 5:50 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by dr_torch
There must be somebody that I can irritate? I'm usually quite good at it
You can certainly irritate the reservations people, it just won't really do you much good, unless you really value the venting in and of itself.
wrp96 and canadiancow like this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 10:39 am

I've got some funds tied up in credits with AC, and I tried to use one recently cancelled booking to rebook using a credit for a cancelled flight rather than request the gift card and wait 5+ weeks. What a mess.

I tried to use a credit from a cancelled YYC-PDX to rebook and use on a YYC-LAS. Essentially because the taxes/surcharges are different, most of the taxes/fees couldn't be applied towards the new booking, so I'd effectively forefeit a significant part of the taxes/fees which amounted to about $160 for 2 pax. Spent over an hour on the phone with Reservations and they couldn't get it to work without forefeiting a significant amount of the value.

So AC refuses to refund bookings that they've cancelled, the vouchers have so many strings attached that it's unlikely to get the full value out of them, and the wait time to get a cancelled booking converted into a gift card seems to be 5 weeks and counting for many people. Very annoying.
how were the taxes and fees that different?! Did the agent elaborate? Both itineraries are ex-YYC, transborder (so same YYC fee, same customs fees, same GST, etc). The only difference is PDX vs LAS landing/pax charges. There's no way 2 people incur $160 above PDX charges to land at LAS.

Not doubting you so much as utterly shocked - and wondering if the agent helping you was somehow goofing up your booking.

I wonder if you pulled a quote from ITA Matrix for YYC-PDX and YYC-LAS what it would show for the difference in taxes/fees.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
So wait, if the taxes are different, you forefeit that part of the ticket when trying to use a credit?

So if you try to rebook lets say a domestic with $100 in tax to a transborder with $7 in tax - you lose $100?
Old Jul 30, 2020, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by yyz2bgo
how were the taxes and fees that different?! Did the agent elaborate? Both itineraries are ex-YYC, transborder (so same YYC fee, same customs fees, same GST, etc). The only difference is PDX vs LAS landing/pax charges. There's no way 2 people incur $160 above PDX charges to land at LAS.

Not doubting you so much as utterly shocked - and wondering if the agent helping you was somehow goofing up your booking.

I wonder if you pulled a quote from ITA Matrix for YYC-PDX and YYC-LAS what it would show for the difference in taxes/fees.
I was really surprised at the difference as well. Looking at it a bit closer, the taxes were $138 per pax for Portland. Apparently only ~$80 per pax could be applied towards the Vegas booking, and the amount forefeited would be $58 CAD per pax ($116 for 2 pax, with the remaining ~$42 as seat selection). It took 75 mins, the majority of which the agent was on the phone with the rate desk. She insisted that she had exhausted all options with the rate desk to try to get the full value out of the voucher, and there was nothing further that could be done. I was tired and annoyed after 75 mins on the phone so didn't ask for a line by line breakdown of what could be applied and what couldn't. I gave up and went and booked the trip to LAS on WS instead and I'll get the useless AC vouchers converted into a gift card and use it for something else in the future.

Apparently the amount of taxes forefeited would have been even worse if I was trying to rebook for a domestic trip or overseas trip.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 4:39 pm

I was really surprised at the difference as well. Looking at it a bit closer, the taxes were $138 per pax for Portland. Apparently only ~$80 per pax could be applied towards the Vegas booking, and the amount forefeited would be $58 CAD per pax ($116 for 2 pax, with the remaining ~$42 as seat selection). It took 75 mins, the majority of which the agent was on the phone with the rate desk. She insisted that she had exhausted all options with the rate desk to try to get the full value out of the voucher, and there was nothing further that could be done. I was tired and annoyed after 75 mins on the phone so didn't ask for a line by line breakdown of what could be applied and what couldn't. I gave up and went and booked the trip to LAS on WS instead and I'll get the useless AC vouchers converted into a gift card and use it for something else in the future.

Apparently the amount of taxes forefeited would have been even worse if I was trying to rebook for a domestic trip or overseas trip.
Wow.. Again, shocked that the difference in tax would be C$58/pax. Sounds like the agent did their best. Glad you can obtain a gift card.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
This is insane. So the vouchers are not even for the full value of a ticket...

Imagine the surprise of everyone who will be trying to use them in the next 2 years.
wrp96 and strickerj like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.