Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
As of April 13, 2021 (in conjunction with the federal government bailout), AC is providing refunds for flights cancelled due to COVID, which applies to tickets with travel after February 1, 2020, and purchased before April 13, 2021. This includes flights cancelled by customers rather than AC.

Going forward (i.e. tickets purchased on or after April 13, 2021), cancelled flights will be refunded if AC does not offer a re-booking option with departure +/- 3 hours from the original time.

AC refund portal

Online refund request form

Press release on the bailout
Print Wikipost

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Old Jul 3, 2020, 8:32 am

Re: Air Canada offer to get no-expiry voucher or Aeroplan, they direct to "My Bookings" to choose, but for ***multiple bookings*** all I get is "We're not able to retrieve your booking. It may be because it was cancelled, you have completed your trip, or an issue is preventing us from displaying your booking". I have emails from Air Cda where they literally direct to this non functional website. Just wow.
Anyone have/direct me to legal term and conditions associated with accepting the no-expiry voucher ? Specifically interested in whether accepting it prevents declining it in future and getting actual refund if Trudeau bails them out with refund customers as a term of bailout.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 11:52 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by expert7700
US regs like not lining up on a taxiway for landing on top of queued planes?

or the US reg requiring monitoring the radio in order to hear repeated go around orders?

More like the US regs governing companies which sell flight tickets in the US, regs governing airlines operating flights out of and into US airports, US consumer regs, etc.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 3:46 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by exp
More like the US regs governing companies which sell flight tickets in the US, regs governing airlines operating flights out of and into US airports, US consumer regs, etc.
you missed the joke. That was in reference to a AC flight near miss on SFO final approach.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by dr_torch
Well now I am getting more frustrated. I called into reservations and basically I am told that they cannot use an existing canceled booking for ADDCOL until I can convert it to a gift card and then can only be done after July 5th (maybe) and it will take up to 6 weeks to get a gift card.

Has anybody had more luck than me?
Its July 5th! Surely today AC will release a functional online tool to convert the millions they stole from people tied up in useless no residual non transferrable credits into less painful to use gift cards?
cruzcap and tecate55 like this.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 10:58 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Premier,, AAdvantage Gold, InterContinental Ambassador
Just spoke to one of the rudest CSR reps from Air Canada after sitting on hold 36 min. Was seeking assistance in filing my claim for unused seat upgrades. Real nice feller...he acted like he was too busy to help Walk me through the refund website. Air Canada is trying to compete with Transavia in incompetence!
Old Jul 6, 2020, 7:33 am

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Its July 5th! Surely today AC will release a functional online tool to convert the millions they stole from people tied up in useless no residual non transferrable credits into less painful to use gift cards?
It did not work yesterday, but it did work this morning! It does say it will take 6 weeks to get a gift card though so it seems like it's a manual process to me.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 9:39 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by dr_torch
It did not work yesterday, but it did work this morning! It does say it will take 6 weeks to get a gift card though so it seems like it's a manual process to me.
Did you get it to work for a future booking or a previously cancelled booking?

I tried it just now and it isn't able to retrieve the 2 bookings I tried. Both were from May and are bookings where AC cancelled the flights.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 10:24 am

Is everyone still waiting for the unicorn transferable and non-expiring Air Canada Travel Vouchers ?

Originally Posted by gcashin

I tried it just now and it isn't able to retrieve the 2 bookings I tried. Both were from May and are bookings where AC cancelled the flights.
how are you trying (which URL? Which button?)
Old Jul 6, 2020, 10:31 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
Is everyone still waiting for the unicorn transferable and non-expiring Air Canada Travel Vouchers ?

how are you trying (which URL? Which button?)
I'm trying to do it via Manage My Booking. From AC's COVID-19 info page, I was following the instructions for "I’d like to convert my previously cancelled booking to an Air Canada Travel Voucher or Aeroplan Miles"

If you booked directly with Air Canada (including aircanada.com, the Air Canada Mobile App, and our Contact Centres) or Kayak, Google Flights, and Skyscanner, you can convert your booking by visiting Manage My Booking.
It doesn't recognize the bookings for me on flights where AC had previously cancelled the flight.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 10:41 am

I'm trying to do it via Manage My Booking. From AC's COVID-19 info page, I was following the instructions for "I’d like to convert my previously cancelled booking to an Air Canada Travel Voucher or Aeroplan Miles"

It doesn't recognize the bookings for me on flights where AC had previously cancelled the flight.
Manage My Booking never supported looking up cancelled reservations
Old Jul 6, 2020, 11:37 am

I got it working for a previously cancelled booking. On the AC home screen I clicked on Manage Booking and entered by PNR and I got a form that gave me the option of AE miles or a gift card.

For current bookings the cancellation link never worked for me and I have to fill out that form and request a gift card ... still waiting for that to show up too.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by hoipolloi
Yup ... I wonder if anybody has actually gotten a gift card yet.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 11:46 am

I had an Aeroplan ticket that they were unable to process themselves. My case got sent to Winnipeg and Air Canada is responsible for the refund now. I've been checking the status of my claim at https://refundservices.business.conduent.com/, but there hasn't been any movement for 7 weeks and my case is still listed as "OPEN". There is no number to call to find out what is going on. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old Jul 6, 2020, 2:12 pm

Programs: AC Altitude 35K, AA, Marriott Silver Elite, NEXUS
Some of my cancelled flights let me do a voucher ..others don’t.....this has been a very frustrating experience and tons of wasted time. On the phone again...
Old Jul 6, 2020, 3:10 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Out of three bookings, one request could be completed online:

One gave me this error message and I had to complete a web form to ask for the conversion into a voucher:

And the other one requires me to call Rez and request it from them.

A real mixed bag.
cruzcap likes this.

Last edited by Bohemian1; Jul 6, 2020 at 3:32 pm Reason: Added handy web link

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.