Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Cancellation after Schedule Change (non-Corona)

Question: Cancellation after Schedule Change (non-Corona)

Old Mar 28, 20, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Cancellation after Schedule Change (non-Corona)

Hello, I have a question regarding refunds for non-refundable tickets that has nothing to do with the Coronavirus.

On the same day in January, I bought Standard Economy tickets YXY-YVR-SEA and another one SEA-YUL-YQB, both for travel a few days apart in June, directly from AC.com. (It was not possible to book that specific itinerary on one ticket for some reason.) Then Air Canada - before Coronavirus was a thing - cancelled my YXY-YVR flight an put me on a flight 5 hours earlier. That's 5 am and I don't want that at all.

Normally, I should be able to cancel the YXY-YVR-SEA ticket and get a full refund, due to the schedule change. Is there a known way to get Air Canada to refund the second ticket, SEA-YUL-YQB, as well?

I know that I have two different tickets, so two separate issues. But maybe there is a leniance policy in such cases?

(I don't expect the SEA->YUL to be available in June anyway, as the Canadian border is ordered closed until June 30. So there should be a free cancellation coming eventually - but of course I'd rather have a refund.)

TNX
Old Mar 28, 20, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by sokolov View Post
the Canadian border is ordered closed until June 30
Says who? The current closure runs until late April.
Old Mar 28, 20, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jjclancy View Post
Says who? The current closure runs until late April.
The official order of the Gouvernor-in-Council.

"Effective period5 This Order has effect for the period beginning at noon Eastern Daylight Time on March 18, 2020 and ending at noon Eastern Daylight Time on June 30, 2020."
https://orders-in-council.canada.ca/...=38952&lang=en
Old Mar 28, 20, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The official order of the Gouvernor-in-Council.

"Effective period5 This Order has effect for the period beginning at noon Eastern Daylight Time on March 18, 2020 and ending at noon Eastern Daylight Time on June 30, 2020."
https://orders-in-council.canada.ca/...=38952&lang=en
Seems that order does not apply to people coming from the US though?
Old Mar 28, 20, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Seems that order does not apply to people coming from the US though?
That is correct. The US one is currently in force unil April 21. I expect that to be extended, by and large. Maybe with exceptions for small US communities who have no road connection to the US, and small Canadian communities who have no road connection to Canada.

Also, in the absence of international transit passengers, there will be less crossborder flights. I doubt they'll start new routes like SEA-YUL, soon.
Old Mar 28, 20, 7:28 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
There are no refunds currently for schd changes.... First YUL-SEA is still set for 1 June but June is a long way off in this environment
tcook052 and zappy312 like this.
Old Apr 14, 20, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ABG View Post
There are no refunds currently for schd changes.... First YUL-SEA is still set for 1 June but June is a long way off in this environment
Actually, there are refunds. However, I had to call in, endure many an announcements, then wait. I reached a friendly agent who arranged a full refund of my ticket where Air Canada had cancelled the first leg already in January, before Corona.

When I tried to cancel online, I only had the choice between taking a cut of about 134 dollars, or taking a full credit. Of course I prefer the full refund.

The entire call took 36 minutes, but I could do other things for most of that time. I did not ask about my second ticket - it was very cheap, so I'll take the credit. I understand that AC can't refund everybody right now without going bankcrupt.
Old Apr 14, 20, 5:26 am

Programs: AC E50K, WS Rewards, DL SkyMiles, UA MP, Priority Pass, AMEX MR, NEXUS, H-Honors, M-Bonvoy
Seems so crazy to think that people are unable to get refunds for cancellations and changes made by AC, but these are crazy times. I don't want AC to go under, and if they issue refunds to everybody, I expect that they will.
Old Apr 14, 20, 8:43 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Actually, there are refunds.
I missed the nuance in your post about your 5hrs schd change taking place in January. There are no refunds for schd changes that occurred on or after 19 March (maybe it is the 18th, the email is buried in my inbox somewhere and I'm not able to search it now). If you are sitting on one from earlier then you might be in luck, but yes 100% human interaction would be required to process.
Old Apr 19, 20, 12:37 am
Original Poster

And the money is back on my credit card.
mileageking likes this.
Old Apr 19, 20, 1:08 am

There are no refunds for schd changes that occurred on or after 19 March (maybe it is the 18th, the email is buried in my inbox somewhere and I'm not able to search it now). If you are sitting on one from earlier then you might be in luck, but yes 100% human interaction would be required to process.
I had received flight cancellation email on Mar 19th (late night EST). Had already flown outbound in P and return was cancelled in Z. Both are business restricted fare base. Same day Mar 19th was given option online to cancel or get credit. Chose to cancel and funds were back on CC in couple weeks. I posted details in the other AC thread.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: