Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Covid Relief Flights - Who Gets to Sit in J?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2020, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K

Seeing this post on Twitter piqued my curiosity:

For these types of special relief flights, who gets to sit in J? Do they sell tickets at different prices? How does it work?
Old Mar 27, 2020, 4:22 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
I'd assume whoever chooses to pay for J? As the PM said, Canadians still have to pay for these flights out of pocket.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
I'd assume whoever chooses to pay for J? As the PM said, Canadians still have to pay for these flights out of pocket.
Ah ok. Thanks!

We can close / delete this thread now.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 4:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Ah ok. Thanks!

We can close / delete this thread now.
Are these flights purchased from Air Canada or are they purchased from a government agency/embassy that arranged them? I know the PM said the passengers would have to pay. I can't see a government agency wanting to get into all the different types of seats.

--
On the cruise ship evacuations, I read an article that said they used the business cabin as a quarantine area of sort and rest for staff. If anyone developed symptoms in flight they would be moved and isolated there. Not certain that is the case for these flights.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 5:02 pm

When the evacuation flights for Morocco took place, they announced that it was a regular commercial flight - all the Canadian government really did was arrange for permission to use the airport/airspace. If that is a similar case to this, I think that pax probably bought tickets using the "rescue" fare basis directly from Air Canada, in which case regular processes for eUpgrades, paid business class, or Op Up would apply.

Unless like Fiordland mentioned they are blocking J for an emergency/relief area.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 6:49 pm

, who gets to sit in J?
Those who check in last and have GTE on their boarding passes.
cedric and worldtraveller73 like this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 6:50 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
I would assume that passengers who originally had confirmed bookings in J on their return trip would get first priority.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 7:48 pm

I've seen coupon codes posted on Air Canada's Twitter feed for recovery flights, so I believe AC is the one who sells them and can offer J up.

Since we have the real answer, I'm a bit shocked AC isn't trying to upsell people.

Last edited by zappy312; Mar 28, 2020 at 8:51 pm
Old Mar 27, 2020, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland
Are these flights purchased from Air Canada or are they purchased from a government agency/embassy that arranged them? I know the PM said the passengers would have to pay. I can't see a government agency wanting to get into all the different types of seats.

--
On the cruise ship evacuations, I read an article that said they used the business cabin as a quarantine area of sort and rest for staff. If anyone developed symptoms in flight they would be moved and isolated there. Not certain that is the case for these flights.
For the ex-Morocco repatriation flights, the local Canadian embassy emailed registered Canadians information about the flight as well as a special promo code that allows them to purchase the flight directly from Air Canada's website.

They also flew to Morocco with 4 pilots: 2 were piloting from Halifax to Casablanca while the other two were resting. Then they switched for the return flight back to Montreal. There was no time to rest in Morocco as the arrangement was the crew must stay in the plane and return the same day, which explains the need for 4 pilots
Fiordland and Adam Smith like this.

Last edited by hoipolloi; Mar 27, 2020 at 10:56 pm
Old Mar 27, 2020, 10:58 pm

Would be interesting to know how much promo code discount was and reduced cost for J & Y cabins
Old Mar 27, 2020, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by mileageking
Would be interesting to know how much promo code discount was and reduced cost for J & Y cabins
Y was about $1500 one way
mileageking likes this.

Last edited by hoipolloi; Mar 28, 2020 at 2:53 am
Old Mar 28, 2020, 12:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by mileageking
The CBC reported that the cost of a ticket was $1,272 plus tax. Restricted to only Canadians and permanent residents.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cov...occo-1.5504550
mileageking and Adam Smith like this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:01 am

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
If you’re concerned about what seat you’re sitting in during a time like this then something is seriously wrong with you. Don’t tell me social distancing in J.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by D3KingAmerican
If you’re concerned about what seat you’re sitting in during a time like this then something is seriously wrong with you. Don’t tell me social distancing in J.
Huh? I’m an aviation nerd and was curious about the mechanics of how something like this works — and it seems like I wasn’t the only one. Makes sense given the purpose of this forum.

Enough with the virtual signalling.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 7:15 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Huh? I’m an aviation nerd and was curious about the mechanics of how something like this works — and it seems like I wasn’t the only one. Makes sense given the purpose of this forum.

Enough with the virtual signalling.
I have a reply involving American, concern and back yard but I will be nice
ChrisA330 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.