Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Anyone else running out of duty free liquor?

Old Mar 26, 20, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan Super Elite, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Delta Gold

Just trying to lighten the mood a bit
It's been 2 months since my last international flight and I am running low on booze....
Not used to paying full price for my whisky...

Any advice
Old Mar 26, 20, 4:41 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-2MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Doesnt NB already have some of the cheapest whiskey in Canada? I know someone from Ottawa that would stock up on his whiskey when he would travel there for work.

One suggestion for those in quarantine is to have a liquor cabinet 'purge'... dig out some of that booze that you normally may not drink and then google nice drinks you can make with that.... try different cocktails throughout the quarantine period ( a new one each day if you like)...Have fun with it!
Old Mar 26, 20, 9:48 am

Programs: AC*SE100K, Wyndham dimond, Amex Plat Cnd & USA, Canadian army vet, Yoga teacher.
My roommate wanted to buy all my duty free booze and she looked up the AC prices I paid, I did not tell her I had the coupons on the buy 2 get 15% off.
Old Mar 26, 20, 10:18 am

Programs: AC S100K, SPG G, Hilton G,Nexus/GE, Amex MR Plat, Hyatt Plat,IHG Plat E
Originally Posted by ilneigetu View Post
Just trying to lighten the mood a bit
It's been 2 months since my last international flight and I am running low on booze....
Not used to paying full price for my whisky...

Any advice
I am a few months away from running out :-).
Since we are not entertaining, it appears my stocks might thankfully last long. All those weekly trips to the US helped more than duty free.
I do wish that Canada would have duty free stores on arrival like some countries. Keeps the money in Canada, pay in CAD and we do not have to lug the liquor around.
Old Mar 26, 20, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE MM, SD Gold, SPG Gold
I stopped buying duty free liquor years ago when I realised that it was piling up at an alarming rate in my basement. Based on how little hard liquor we actually drink I think I still have several years' supply.

Wine cellar may be a different story - but that didn't come from duty free.
Old Mar 26, 20, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The Lev View Post
I stopped buying duty free liquor years ago when I realised that it was piling up at an alarming rate in my basement. Based on how little hard liquor we actually drink I think I still have several years' supply.

Wine cellar may be a different story - but that didn't come from duty free.
No duty free here either. But yes, wine cellar, and not duty free... Although since we try to avoid going out, the cellar may take a bit of a hit. :-) But then if we don't survive, no point in leaving stuff behind either. :-)
Bohemian1 and The Lev like this.
Old Mar 26, 20, 12:19 pm

Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
The state we are in now closed all liquor stores a week or more ago (amid lines of a hundred or more people).

As a result, I've been looking at one half empty (no time for optimism--definitely not half full) bottle of rum to determine if it can last until or thru the Virtual DO Saturday.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 26, 20, 12:35 pm

Programs: AC SE, Hertz 5*, Avis P+, Acc Plat, HY Exp, HH Gold, BonV Titanium
I've never bought duty free liquor from AC, mind you I rarely by booze at all. Is it that good of a deal (if you're not using coupons that come with Altitude status)?
Old Mar 26, 20, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Gold, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YEG USER View Post
I've never bought duty free liquor from AC, mind you I rarely by booze at all. Is it that good of a deal (if you're not using coupons that come with Altitude status)?
JW Blue with the coupon was a bit cheaper than what I can get locally in SFO, and it comes with Aeroplan miles.

On the cheap end of things, liquor in SFO is about 1/4 the price of YYZ. So I think if you're comparing it to Ontario, then it's probably a great deal. I can't speak for other provinces.
Old Mar 26, 20, 1:16 pm

Programs: AC S100K, SPG G, Hilton G,Nexus/GE, Amex MR Plat, Hyatt Plat,IHG Plat E
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
JW Blue with the coupon was a bit cheaper than what I can get locally in SFO, and it comes with Aeroplan miles.

On the cheap end of things, liquor in SFO is about 1/4 the price of YYZ. So I think if you're comparing it to Ontario, then it's probably a great deal. I can't speak for other provinces.
Definitely cheaper than Ontario. Not as cheap as Costco in the Bay area where I believe the JW Blue was USD $145. Also duty free at SFO Lagavulin was I think $89 whereas Costco was $69. AC duty free has very little choice. Wish they had a bigger selection even if it meant pre ordering.
Old Mar 26, 20, 2:18 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
I've never seen any duty-free booze for sale on AC that I was interested in buying. Even if there were, I don't recall the prices looking all that good compared to regular prices in Alberta.

I've also rarely been interested in booze at the duty-free shops. The Scotch sold there seems to mainly be special duty-free NAS stuff that may or may not be any good. They also frequently sell it in odd sizes to make price comparison more difficult, although that's easier to deal with.
Old Mar 26, 20, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Duty free prices are often more expensive than here locally. We have only bought to take with us overseas as a gift.

But coming back to wines, I just ordered 12 bottles to be delivered. Six brunellos and six barbarescos. Decent ones, both on sale at less than $40/bottle.
bigev007 and The Lev like this.
Old Mar 26, 20, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
I'm good - most of my duty free is Aperol these days (11 EUR vs $26 in the States). Although spring is coming and so the Spritz' will start to flow.

I was hoping to get some Bols Genever in AMS next month, but that isn't happening.
Old Mar 26, 20, 3:03 pm

Programs: AC SE, Hertz 5*, Avis P+, Acc Plat, HY Exp, HH Gold, BonV Titanium
Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
I don't recall the prices looking all that good compared to regular prices in Alberta.
That's what I had been told by others previously, so I was kind of surprised by this thread.

Thanks to all who answered my question above!
Old Mar 26, 20, 3:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Duty free prices are often more expensive than here locally. We have only bought to take with us overseas as a gift.
I've found most stuff to be pricier than home too, but every US duty free has a couple of bottles of cheap basic spirits for $19, and those are a deal compared to home, saving me money to buy good stuff at home

Search this Thread
Search Engine: