Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Anyone else running out of duty free liquor?

Anyone else running out of duty free liquor?

Old Mar 26, 20, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE MM, SD Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
But coming back to wines, I just ordered 12 bottles to be delivered. Six brunellos and six barbarescos. Decent ones, both on sale at less than $40/bottle.
You are clearly planning to live for a while if you are planning to drink those only when ready.
Old Mar 26, 20, 5:16 pm

Programs: AC Tangerine FTTC
Duty free liquor? Nah, too expensive

I'm (and shall be for the foreseeable future) at STX now. Everything is expensive here. But liquor? Dirt cheap, even with the loonie being very weak compared to the greenback. So no, no duty free liquor for me.
Old Mar 26, 20, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The Lev View Post
You are clearly planning to live for a while if you are planning to drink those only when ready.
At that price point I don't necessarily invest, although I do have some comparable ones in the cellar. :-) Plus, a good decanter helps. So this is (part of) my isolation inventory.

And anyway, our cellar already might last longer than us, even if we survive the virus. :-)
The Lev likes this.
Old Mar 26, 20, 11:21 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
One time I looked at the duty free at IAD and a bottle of champagne there was $90 USD; I could get the same thing at Costco in YYC for $46 CAD. Never looked at duty free again after that, why go to the bother of lugging it around when I could buy it easier and cheaper locally?
Old Mar 27, 20, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jagboi View Post
One time I looked at the duty free at IAD and a bottle of champagne there was $90 USD; I could get the same thing at Costco in YYC for $46 CAD. Never looked at duty free again after that, why go to the bother of lugging it around when I could buy it easier and cheaper locally?
Pretty typical, perhaps just a bit more so than other places. But comparing prices, say at duty free shops at FRA, and prices here at my local liquor store, local is almost always cheaper.
Old Mar 27, 20, 9:10 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Platinum
No deals

The only recent “deal” on duty free was on a ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn where a bottle of Botanist gin was about $20 cheaper than in Canada. Duty Free does not equal profit free!!
Old Mar 27, 20, 4:41 pm

Programs: AC E50 / Marriott Gold Elite
Bottle of Jameson died two nights ago, but still almost a dozen bottles of various whiskey/bourbon will get me through and if I’m stuck can always fall back to rum, gin, etc.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: