Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Cargo-Only Flights (2020 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Cargo-Only Flights (2020 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2020, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fin 645
Until someone forgot to place the pogo stick under the tail when the back was full of cargo and passengers had deplaned.

Except that's the -400 combi, 1990-2003. Which I remember well, nice J cabin upstairs. Apparently never made them any money Flew on them quite a bit on YYZ-FRA. I don't think I ever flew on the -200 combi, which they operated 1975-1999 apparently.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 10:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I am in a global supply chain role and my teams source globally for distribution around the world. I can confirm the sky-rocketing of prices, but ex-Europe is much worse than ex-China. As of today, air freight out of Europe is up 8X into certain US markets that have seen a capacity reduction in the area of 80%. Typical to pay ~ 3 EUR/kg, today quotes are ~26 EUR/kg. The average over the past week out of China is 2-3X standard rates.

On top of this backlogs are running 7-10 days out of most markets.

I don't know the economics for the airlines but I can say definitively that the business would be there for them, particularly for markets like Chicago, Houston, and LA.

I was thinking about your post when I read this Bloomberg bit.

Desperate Airlines Switch Passengers for Cargo to Stay Alive

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/desperat...live-1.1412432

A month ago, I read how some airlines had already shifted to cargo onboard pax aircraft. At least AC is now doing this too. In recent days, some great photos and video clips have surfaced of how cargo is loaded in the cabins. Some airlines cover the seats with plastic and load the boxes and then tie it all down. Other airlines are removing seats.
WaytoomuchEurope likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 12:19 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by Stranger
Except that's the -400 combi, 1990-2003. Which I remember well, nice J cabin upstairs. Apparently never made them any money Flew on them quite a bit on YYZ-FRA. I don't think I ever flew on the -200 combi, which they operated 1975-1999 apparently.
Could not see if it had winglets on that pic so was not sure if it was a -200. Flew on the -200 in the mid-80s for my first TATL (family friend ran AC ops at CDG back in the day) and again in the late 90s when I lived in Paris for the first time. As with all 747s, loved flying on it.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 4:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Older, less efficient aircraft making money on daily cargo flights is the model that everyone talks about for cargo carriers. Also worthy of note would be th cheaper, less experienced, less unionized, crews staffing those companies.

The implied conjecture is that AC could bring economies of scale to cargo, but could that overcome the agility (read: cheapness) of a scrappy little startup?

Are there different safety standards for cargo aircraft? Could AC get another 5000 hours out of a 320 if it's only carrying crew and crap from Amazon?
AC now has 767-300 that they can continue to use for passenger flights or convert to cargo. Under the current climate going forward should be expect those to retain their current role in the AC fleet? I would be surprised.

CargoJet is the former cargo division of Canada 3000. Not certain I would use the term "scrap little startup" to describe them. Perhaps the term scrappy would apply.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 5:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
It would be cool to see something like this from AC - assuming they load some cargo in the cabin too (12 sec clip)

Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
It would be cool to see something like this from AC - assuming they load some cargo in the cabin too (12 sec clip)

https://twitter.com/AHoensbroech/sta...95677485436928
IIRC AC has issued photos like this in the past. I'm thinking of when relief supplies were sent to foreign disaster zones? Haiti earthquake and one of the US hurricanes? Maybe some other times?
Old Mar 27, 2020, 5:59 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
Could not see if it had winglets on that pic so was not sure if it was a -200.
The quick spotting feature is the -100/200 have the short upper deck, it's much longer on a -400. The photo is a -400.
Admiral Ackbar likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
The answer to my question from AC is that yes they are prepared to run charter cargo-only flights to China. Unfortunately unlike the Austrain airlines image posted above, AC is not currently able to stuff things in the passenger compartment. That means unless you are shipping really heavy stuff, you will cube out long before hitting maximum weight.

Cost was lower than what I would have expected.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 10:36 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
The Lev , thanks for starting this interesting thread. And thanks to you and WaytoomuchEurope for some real-world data points on this

Originally Posted by Fiordland
AC now has 767-300 that they can continue to use for passenger flights or convert to cargo. Under the current climate going forward should be expect those to retain their current role in the AC fleet? I would be surprised.
When you say "convert to cargo", what do you mean? Are you talking about a permanent freighter conversion under the BCF or similar program? Or just temporarily using the fin to run belly cargo and no pax? The mainline ones and a handful of the rouge ones are at the end of their lives, a permanent freighter conversion wouldn't make any sense.

There are some suitable candidates at rouge, but AC hasn't run all-cargo aircraft in... ever? If you're thinking of permanent freighter conversions, more likely they would sell the frames to someone who specializes in the business.

If it's just temporary belly cargo use you're thinking of, who knows, but right now it looks like all of the 763s have been parked, save for one mainline one that flew down to MEX tonight. Whether that's a relief flight or something else, not sure. But it seems likely that the 763s aren't attractive for the all-cargo flights that AC is currently running.

Originally Posted by The Lev
The answer to my question from AC is that yes they are prepared to run charter cargo-only flights to China. Unfortunately unlike the Austrain airlines image posted above, AC is not currently able to stuff things in the passenger compartment. That means unless you are shipping really heavy stuff, you will cube out long before hitting maximum weight.

Neat, thanks
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
The Lev , thanks for starting this interesting thread. And thanks to you and WaytoomuchEurope for some real-world data points on this

When you say "convert to cargo", what do you mean? Are you talking about a permanent freighter conversion under the BCF or similar program? Or just temporarily using the fin to run belly cargo and no pax? The mainline ones and a handful of the rouge ones are at the end of their lives, a permanent freighter conversion wouldn't make any sense.

There are some suitable candidates at rouge, but AC hasn't run all-cargo aircraft in... ever? If you're thinking of permanent freighter conversions, more likely they would sell the frames to someone who specializes in the business.

If it's just temporary belly cargo use you're thinking of, who knows, but right now it looks like all of the 763s have been parked, save for one mainline one that flew down to MEX tonight. Whether that's a relief flight or something else, not sure. But it seems likely that the 763s aren't attractive for the all-cargo flights that AC is currently running.
The market that rouge was going after is spooked and honestly it is probably a good two years before that market returns. The business market that AC is after will return much sooner. The same is going to apply to all of AC competitors . There is going to be less passanger aircraft between North America and Europe for the next few years. That belly cargo is going to have to go somewhere.

AC has managed to go into nearly every other market from flying sports teams to leisure to mainline. Why not back into Cargo. I don't think they are going to spent the money re configuring the existing 767 to a mainline configuration. They are left with either trying to get out of leases on 767 there were planning to keep in rouge for a few years, parking the aircraft or trying to sell them to someone.

Why not take a few of the 767 that are still worth converting and turn them into freighters. If at some point it does not make sense to operate that business anymore they can sell off the freighters to Amazon. Given the 767 is already in the fleet they already have the pilots and maintenance people.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:49 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by The Lev
The answer to my question from AC is that yes they are prepared to run charter cargo-only flights to China. (snip)

Time may actually be an issue. Friend of mine works for a company that has manufacturing facilities in China. A container with the main product was sent by sea, and an additional package of extra spare parts was sent by air within a day of each other. The container that came by sea/rail actually beat the air freight consignment to Calgary, as the air freight sat in HKG for over 2 weeks waiting for a flight to Canada.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 4:56 am

Programs: AC SE
I see two flights heading to Shannon this morning: RV 2384 (out of YHZ) and AC 2344 (out of YYZ). Would these potentially be cargo flights?
Old Apr 9, 2020, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
I see two flights heading to Shannon this morning: RV 2384 (out of YHZ) and AC 2344 (out of YYZ). Would these potentially be cargo flights?
And now there's a third, RV 2399 from YUL. What on earth?
Old Apr 9, 2020, 6:51 am

Programs: AC 75K
AC was planning on removing 2 rouge 767s from the fleet this year based on their last quarterly earnings release, and the 2 rouge fins headed to SNN happen to be leased by leasing companies based in Ireland. Doesn't explain why there's a 787 headed there too though.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
AC was planning on removing 2 rouge 767s from the fleet this year based on their last quarterly earnings release, and the 2 rouge fins headed to SNN happen to be leased by leasing companies based in Ireland. Doesn't explain why there's a 787 headed there too though.
Interesting. Unfortunately, if that's the case, these are two of younger Rouge 767s: C-FIYE which is 17 and C-FJZK which is "merely" 19. Maybe the 787 is just a super-expensive charter to get the Rouge pilots back home…

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.