Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Cargo-Only Flights (2020 onwards)

AC Cargo-Only Flights (2020 onwards)

Old Apr 13, 2020, 12:16 am

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
I'm surprised they didn't pick an A330. Given that they need to go to refurb afterwards anyways, the seats can just been thrown out!
bigev007 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 9:13 am
Posting Legend, Moderator, Manufactured Spending

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Fiordland
One of the other issues that can not be overlooked is some of the charter customers would be the Canadian government. After the suspected diversion of N95 masks enroute from China to Germany I suspect having medical equipment fly on Canadian flagged aircraft is critical to the government. That leaves AC and CargoJet. Perhaps WestJet can do the same with its 787s.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/can...hina-1.5530259

The first two flights organized as part of this effort arrived in Toronto on April 1 and April 6, delivering a resupply of personal protective equipment. The April 6 flight arrived with about eight million surgical masks ordered by the federal government, and other orders made directly by the governments of Nova Scotia and Quebec.

The federal government has secured an arrangement with Air Canada and Cargojet to run more supply flights from China once Bollor Logistics has enough supplies in the warehouse ready to go.

The Cargojet flight that landed in Hamilton was the most recent delivery. Air Canada is due to send planes to Shanghai this week to deliver additional shipments.
Fiordland likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 7:38 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cooleddie
I'm surprised they didn't pick an A330. Given that they need to go to refurb afterwards anyways, the seats can just been thrown out!
77Ws are cargo monsters. Doubtful an A330 could make Asia nonstop with a reasonable load.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi
77Ws are cargo monsters. Doubtful an A330 could make Asia nonstop with a reasonable load.
There is a reason why AC doesn't fly a single A330 across the pacific... and that is lack of range.

Newer 330's can cross the Pacific (at least as far as YVR) but it isn't practical for AC's birds.

Most of the traffic seem to be going PVG-YYZ. In normal times that is one of AC's longest routes - behind Australia,Iindia and HKG.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 9:35 am

Programs: AC SE
If it's somewhere in this thread I missed it. What are the 2000- and 7000- flights out there? I see a few Rouge A321s heading to MZJ so I'm assuming those are repositioning (storage) flights. But what about AC 7053 to GUA? And 7155 to NRT?
Old Apr 16, 2020, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well I pulled the trigger to charter a 77W for next week, but by the time I went to book it somebody else had grabbed the aircraft on the date I needed it and the next available date was too far into the future, so the regular freight forwarders are getting the shipment instead..

Was looking forward to all those AQD.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 4:08 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by The Lev
Well I pulled the trigger to charter a 77W for next week, but by the time I went to book it somebody else had grabbed the aircraft on the date I needed it and the next available date was too far into the future, so the regular freight forwarders are getting the shipment instead..

Was looking forward to all those AQD.
We all want to know: What does it cost to charter a 777?
Old Apr 16, 2020, 4:20 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
If it's somewhere in this thread I missed it. What are the 2000- and 7000- flights out there? I see a few Rouge A321s heading to MZJ so I'm assuming those are repositioning (storage) flights. But what about AC 7053 to GUA? And 7155 to NRT?
7155 to NRT onwards to PVG is a cargo flight that's been operating for the past while. I think the flight to GUA is to bring back temporary foreign workers for the season.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
We all want to know: What does it cost to charter a 777?
About the same as the average price of a house in Canada... unless you want the plane without seats - that costs more.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 9:24 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
About the same as the average price of a house in Canada...
Is that all inclusive - fuel, crew etc? Was that a one way price or return?
Old Apr 16, 2020, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Is that all inclusive - fuel, crew etc? Was that a one way price or return?
All in. Technically one way... but I very much doubt there are a flood of companies begging AC to let them charter a plane to China right now, so in effect it presumably covers the cost of a return flight.

If AC can fill the belly with lobster on the flight to China to defray some of their costs, more power to them.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 1:10 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Gold, DL PM, WS Plat, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
About the same as the average price of a house in Canada... unless you want the plane without seats - that costs more.
Including or excluding GTA+GVA?
Old Apr 17, 2020, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Not sure what GTA+GVA is.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 11:07 am

Not sure what GTA+GVA is.
Toronto and Vancouver.
The two most expensive markets in the country.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Less than the price of an average house in Toronto or Vancouver but average for Canada - Canada include those places as well as places like Moncton and Chicoutimi to balance things out. :-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.