Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Cargo-Only Flights (2020 onwards)

AC Cargo-Only Flights (2020 onwards)

Old Apr 27, 2020, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
@YEG USER @mileageking

I posted about the outbound LAX-SYD last night post 154

Originally Posted by 24left

And another one headed from LAX-SYD

​​​​​​​
Old Apr 27, 2020, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
To all those here on AC FT who are as interested in these AC flights as I am, thanks for sharing your enthusiasm. It's great to know I was not the only one tracking AC 7214 and others.

Also thanks to all of those who have contributed great info about AC cargo flights and other details about shipping cargo. Great learning for all of us.

✈️👍✈️👍
mileageking, wrp96 and marke190 like this.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Cargoagent
That is a cargo only flight. Any AC 7xxx flt numbers are strictly cargo right now.
Out of curiosity: AC is numbering YYZ-YQR AC 7947 and YQR-YYZ AC 7948. These are pax carrying flights. Why would they use a 7xxx number? The flight times correspond to the regular schedule (minus a few days where they are not operating), so it seems odd that they aren't using the AC 11xx flight numbers.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 1:14 pm

@ 24left, thanks man for 1. bringing this historic non-stop AC7214 to this thread and 2. staying along all the way tracking until it landed. Well done.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 1:14 pm

My son got a picture of it over Kitchener.
mileageking and 24left like this.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by arf04
Out of curiosity: AC is numbering YYZ-YQR AC 7947 and YQR-YYZ AC 7948. These are pax carrying flights. Why would they use a 7xxx number? The flight times correspond to the regular schedule (minus a few days where they are not operating), so it seems odd that they aren't using the AC 11xx flight numbers.
​​​​​​
These are Jazz operated flights, which are generally 8xxx, but 7xxx pop up from time to time (seems to be flights that were transfered from AC or another regional)
Old Apr 27, 2020, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by arf04
Sorry, flight numbering is all over the place lately. In our internal system they show up as Jazz QK7947 and QK7948, but externally have the AC prefix. As far as I can ascertain If it is an AC widebody ( 777,787,330) with a 7xxx flt number it is likely a cargo flight. I have not seen the Jazz cargo only flts yet so I am not sure how they will be numbered. Every day there is something new happening lately.
24left likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Cargoagent
Sorry, flight numbering is all over the place lately. In our internal system they show up as Jazz QK7947 and QK7948, but externally have the AC prefix. As far as I can ascertain If it is an AC widebody ( 777,787,330) with a 7xxx flt number it is likely a cargo flight. I have not seen the Jazz cargo only flts yet so I am not sure how they will be numbered. Every day there is something new happening lately.
Thanks! They are CRA operated flights, so definitely Jazz, though the YVR flights have an 8xxx number on the same aircraft... Its interesting to follow this stuff, in the absence of being able to travel, so thanks for the insight.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by AC681
​​​​​​
These are Jazz operated flights, which are generally 8xxx, but 7xxx pop up from time to time (seems to be flights that were transfered from AC or another regional)
Thanks! Before Covid, Id definitely seen some 7xxx flight numbers, but they seemed usually to be ferry flights. And yes, these are definitely Jazz operated flights.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
@YEG USER @mileageking

I posted about the outbound LAX-SYD last night post 154

Thanks. Yes, I was aware of that post and the LAX-YYZ flight. I wasn't sure if it would necessarily be going back to YYZ as a NS.

The main question of my previous post though was why use LAX as a tech stop instead of YVR since there isn't even a 200 mile difference in route length for great circle routing. I forgot to post the relevant link in my previous post:

Great Circle Mapper

EDIT - And here is another view: http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=yyz-syd...o&MC=hnl&DU=mi
mileageking and 24left like this.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 7:14 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
Originally Posted by YEG USER
I'm really curious about the stop in LAX on the outbound. LAX appears to be right on the straight YYZ-SYD route, but going via YVR wouldn't even add 200 miles to the trip. I'd have thought a domestic stop vs. international stop could add some flexibility regarding operating crews, etc.
They are hardly crew constrained. Enough bodies in Toronto to cover it. Gojuice is probably cheaper in the USA, too.

Aircrews (Generally and specifically) have blanket permission to go anywhere, especially if they don't leave their aircraft.
mileageking likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by YEG USER
The main question of my previous post though was why use LAX as a tech stop instead of YVR since there isn't even a 200 mile difference in route length for great circle routing. I forgot to post the relevant link in my previous post:
Purely an educated guess, but I'm assuming it relates to lower fuel price at LAX vs. YVR and/or lower landing fees. No carbon tax in USA.
mileageking likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev
Purely an educated guess, but I'm assuming it relates to lower fuel price at LAX vs. YVR and/or lower landing fees. No carbon tax in USA.
Overall fuel burn would be lower as the very lengthy segment is nearly 300 miles or so less (ULH flights have very high incremental fuel burn). NAVCAN fees minimal as there's minimal overflight of Canadian airspace.

Winds are also more favourable going westbound further to the south (ie: ex-LAX compared to ex-YVR) at FL300, which would also slash the burn:

https://www.aviationweather.gov/data/iffdp/2242.gif

(ie: lots of high 30s/low 40s on the track to SYD from YVR, but mostly low 30s ex-LAX -- so over a 15 hour flight, that's another 150mi 'saved')

Last edited by pitz; Apr 28, 2020 at 2:34 am
Old Apr 28, 2020, 6:02 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
There is discussion on another forum that up to 3 A330's are having seats removed as well. AC could remove everything on these aircraft (including the J seats) and then send them for refurbishment when all of this is over. Any information on this?
Old Apr 28, 2020, 9:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k AC 50k BA gold
its illogical to think we would have cargo from Syd-YYZ. Australia does not make its own PPE, so what is the cargo on the plane? Also it must be extremely light freight. ?
So lol can anyone find out what the plane had as freight?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.