Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Big increase in blocked seats on international flights

Old Mar 21, 20, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SEMM

Using Expertflyer, I have noticed that there are lots of blocked seats on LHR-YVR flights in recent days, past and future. I am monitoring one particular flight, and as it approaches the day, more and more seats are blocked. Anybody know why?
Old Mar 21, 20, 2:59 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
on the seat map is what you are trying to say?
Old Mar 21, 20, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ABG View Post
on the seat map is what you are trying to say?
Yes
Old Mar 21, 20, 3:03 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
If you are looking at anything in the next 5 days I would say those "blocked" seats are actual people.
With one way fares down to 800$ people who weren't going to leave are perhaps now leaving
Old Mar 21, 20, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ABG View Post
If you are looking at anything in the next 5 days I would say those "blocked" seats are actual people.
With one way fares down to 800$ people who weren't going to leave are perhaps now leaving
Expertflyer differentiates between occupied and blocked seats - I understand why seats would fill up, and I regularly use Expertflyer, and it's not normal to see so many blocked seats. Hence question.
Old Mar 21, 20, 3:13 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by visitor View Post
Expertflyer differentiates between occupied and blocked seats - I understand why seats would fill up, and I regularly use Expertflyer, and it's not normal to see so many blocked seats. Hence question.
Perhaps this is a more stealthy form of social distancing than Air New Zealand has rolled out for their flights? Canadians often do things on the QT.
Old Mar 22, 20, 8:47 am

Programs: EB Games Onyx
On a recent YVR-YYZ flight when I checked in there were only a handful of seats available, mostly middle seats in the back. The flight departed less than half full though. It did cross my mind maybe this was some form of social distancing yourself prevent people clustering near the front but everyone kind of got up and spread themselves out after takeoff anyway.
Old Mar 22, 20, 12:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
I have noticed that as well. Large solid block of Y seats shown with X from LHR on AC. Perhaps GOC repatriation capacity?
Old Mar 22, 20, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A View Post
I have noticed that as well. Large solid block of Y seats shown with X from LHR on AC. Perhaps GOC repatriation capacity?
And J and PE...

In the flight I am tracking seat-map shows only one open J seat, with balance half occupied, half blocked. Yet J7... very odd
Old Mar 22, 20, 5:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A View Post
I have been on flights where they have taken large blocks of passanger seats, put cargo into the seats and then cargo net around the entire thing. It has been many many years since I have been on an AC flight where they have done this.
Old Mar 23, 20, 7:46 am

I can't speak specifically for AC but I know some airlines are blocking seats to give a buffer between the crew and the passengers.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: