Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

help please - cancelled in error and wish to reverse

Old Mar 16, 20, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: aeroplan, united, Fairmont, SPG, HHonours

I booked a ticket in December 2019 to attend a global conference in Colorado in May2020.
Today the organizers announced the cancellation of this huge event due to COVID19.
I went on AIR Canada site to cancel and refund the ticket.. was given option to hold credit for future travel or cancel and refund. I clicked on cancel and refund... not realizing until too late that the refund is $70 only and basically I lost approximately 1000 dollars. Immediately I called Air Canada and they are not allowing you to hold.
I did email customer service..explaining my issue and attaching notice of the conference cancellation. Is there any other way I can fix this error and not lose the $1000.00?
Obviously it was not my intention to lose such an amount of money. Any advice is appreciated. thanks
Old Mar 16, 20, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How did you pay for the ticket? Does the credit card use provide insurance?
Old Mar 16, 20, 10:11 am
Original Poster

I booked with credit card... there is insurance on it however not sure how it will apply in a case like this. I am seeking advice on how to reverse the cancellation to a voucher/credit for future travel ...please and thank you
Old Mar 16, 20, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
I doubt Air Canada will do anything to reverse the cancellation, this is in line with what most airlines are doing. What does you travel insurance provide?
Old Mar 16, 20, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply - I have been on hold for an hour now in an attempt to find out.
Old Mar 16, 20, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You may try to argue with AC that you meant to change rather than cancel but accidentally did the latter. I doubt AC's customer service will go your way, but worth a try.
Old Mar 16, 20, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply
Old Mar 16, 20, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
You may try to argue with AC that you meant to change rather than cancel but accidentally did the latter. I doubt AC's customer service will go your way, but worth a try.
The problem is though, that it's currently almost impossible to talk to someone at AC. And that arguably that even affects some folks with life-threatening issues, which are surely more pressing than money.
Old Mar 16, 20, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
The problem is though, that it's currently almost impossible to talk to someone at AC. And that arguably that even affects some folks with life-threatening issues, which are surely more pressing than money.
I know. Getting in touch with them is never easy even in good times!
Old Mar 16, 20, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
I know. Getting in touch with them is never easy even in good times!
In "good" times they had no excuse. But of course that makes things worse now that it's bad...
Old Mar 16, 20, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy PLAT, Priority Pass, Star Alliance Gold
restrictive credit ?

The online screen says the credit expires on Dec 31, 2020 i.e. its quite restrictive as I recall.
Old Mar 16, 20, 11:25 am

Programs: AC S100K 2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I did the exact same thing last week, as I was surprised to see an actual cash refund button pop up. Would have been $14 out of a $1000 ticket but I got trigger-happy and hit it. I called in right away and it took an hour with the agent going back and forth with the ticketing department, but they were able to reverse it. It is supposed to take a few weeks to process anyway, so although it took them an hour to do it the transaction was certainly possible.
Old Mar 16, 20, 4:04 pm

Programs: AC Altitude 35K, AA, Marriott Silver Elite, NEXUS
Seems a lot of us getting screwed by hitting the cancel button..it really needs to be more clear but of course we are talking about AC IT.
JoePendleton likes this.
Old Mar 16, 20, 4:13 pm

Programs: AC SE, Hertz 5*, Avis P+, Acc Plat, HY Exp, HH Gold, BonV Titanium
I'm glad I saw this thread. Got notified of a flight change, a connecting evening flight is now an overnight connection that I won't want. Tried using the change flights function, but I keep getting an error code as I used a discount code to book the ticket. Am contemplating cancelling, and was going to hit the button to see what comes up, but will hold off for now until I know for sure that I'll cancel...
Old Mar 17, 20, 12:54 pm

Programs: AC E35K
So this just happened to me as well.

I accessed a booking and wanted to see if there would be any charge to cancel. I clicked Cancel Booking, expecting another page to come up (which it had done when I cancelled a booking 2 days ago). To my surprise, the booking was just cancelled without any intermediary page.
rickg523 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: