FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   help please - cancelled in error and wish to reverse (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/2013194-help-please-cancelled-error-wish-reverse.html)

nh100 Mar 16, 2020 10:02 am

help please - cancelled in error and wish to reverse

I booked a ticket in December 2019 to attend a global conference in Colorado in May2020.
Today the organizers announced the cancellation of this huge event due to COVID19.
I went on AIR Canada site to cancel and refund the ticket.. was given option to hold credit for future travel or cancel and refund. I clicked on cancel and refund... not realizing until too late that the refund is $70 only and basically I lost approximately 1000 dollars. Immediately I called Air Canada and they are not allowing you to hold.
I did email customer service..explaining my issue and attaching notice of the conference cancellation. Is there any other way I can fix this error and not lose the $1000.00?
Obviously it was not my intention to lose such an amount of money. Any advice is appreciated. thanks

Stranger Mar 16, 2020 10:08 am

How did you pay for the ticket? Does the credit card use provide insurance?

nh100 Mar 16, 2020 10:11 am

I booked with credit card... there is insurance on it however not sure how it will apply in a case like this. I am seeking advice on how to reverse the cancellation to a voucher/credit for future travel ...please and thank you

LondonElite Mar 16, 2020 10:14 am

I doubt Air Canada will do anything to reverse the cancellation, this is in line with what most airlines are doing. What does you travel insurance provide?

nh100 Mar 16, 2020 10:24 am

Thank you for your reply - I have been on hold for an hour now in an attempt to find out.

LondonElite Mar 16, 2020 10:33 am

You may try to argue with AC that you meant to change rather than cancel but accidentally did the latter. I doubt AC's customer service will go your way, but worth a try.

nh100 Mar 16, 2020 10:41 am

Thank you for your reply

Stranger Mar 16, 2020 11:01 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32193534)
You may try to argue with AC that you meant to change rather than cancel but accidentally did the latter. I doubt AC's customer service will go your way, but worth a try.

The problem is though, that it's currently almost impossible to talk to someone at AC. And that arguably that even affects some folks with life-threatening issues, which are surely more pressing than money.

LondonElite Mar 16, 2020 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 32193657)
The problem is though, that it's currently almost impossible to talk to someone at AC. And that arguably that even affects some folks with life-threatening issues, which are surely more pressing than money.

I know. Getting in touch with them is never easy even in good times!

Stranger Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32193665)
I know. Getting in touch with them is never easy even in good times!

In "good" times they had no excuse. But of course that makes things worse now that it's bad...

Antonio8069 Mar 16, 2020 11:17 am

restrictive credit ?

The online screen says the credit expires on Dec 31, 2020 i.e. its quite restrictive as I recall.

JoePendleton Mar 16, 2020 11:25 am

I did the exact same thing last week, as I was surprised to see an actual cash refund button pop up. Would have been $14 out of a $1000 ticket but I got trigger-happy and hit it. I called in right away and it took an hour with the agent going back and forth with the ticketing department, but they were able to reverse it. It is supposed to take a few weeks to process anyway, so although it took them an hour to do it the transaction was certainly possible.

cruzcap Mar 16, 2020 4:04 pm

Seems a lot of us getting screwed by hitting the cancel button..it really needs to be more clear but of course we are talking about AC IT.

YEG USER Mar 16, 2020 4:13 pm

I'm glad I saw this thread. Got notified of a flight change, a connecting evening flight is now an overnight connection that I won't want. Tried using the change flights function, but I keep getting an error code as I used a discount code to book the ticket. Am contemplating cancelling, and was going to hit the button to see what comes up, but will hold off for now until I know for sure that I'll cancel...

ChrisA330 Mar 17, 2020 12:54 pm

So this just happened to me as well.

I accessed a booking and wanted to see if there would be any charge to cancel. I clicked Cancel Booking, expecting another page to come up (which it had done when I cancelled a booking 2 days ago). To my surprise, the booking was just cancelled without any intermediary page.