Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Cancel Basic Economy Fare 2+ days out

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2020, 4:25 pm
Formerly doc4science
Original Poster

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold

Hello!

I have a basic economy flight on Air Canada booked prior to March 4th for the 19th of March. When I tried to cancel online I was forwarded to their phone service but when I call they tell me I can't be placed on hold(then hang up). How can I go about getting my money back?

Thanks
-Samuel
Old Mar 12, 2020, 4:30 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Keep calling. Try late at night, North America time.

There is an online refund request form, but given how backed up everything is these days, it's probably not advisable to wait on that.
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:03 am

Bookings made prior to Mar 4 aren't subject to the fee waiver:
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ee-waiver.html

Even if it was, you won't be "getting your money back", you'll get a credit for use in a future booking.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:17 am
Formerly doc4science
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jjclancy

Even if it was, you won't be "getting your money back", you'll get a credit for use in a future booking.
There website says to contact them to get a full credit.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:29 am

I thought you do not get any credit when you cancel a Basic booking? So what would be the point of calling in to cancel?
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:32 am

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G

It's interesting since it seems to depends which page you go to. This one - https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...-bookings.html - states that the OP probably can get a credit.

If you purchased a ticket before March 4, 2020 for travel before April 30, 2020, Air Canada will allow you to make a one-time change to your flight without incurring a change fee up to 24 hours before your departing flight. You can also cancel your booking and credit what you paid against future travel.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:56 am
Formerly doc4science
Original Poster

Yea when I go to cancel there is an option online that refunds the ticket but has a fee and then it states that if you call you can get a full credit for the entire purchase.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by doc4science
Yea when I go to cancel there is an option online that refunds the ticket but has a fee and then it states that if you call you can get a full credit for the entire purchase.
You can change for free, but not cancel. In other words, you can get full credit for a future flight, but you cannot have the miles credited back to your account.

It also appears that a market fare ticket cannot be exchanged with no fee for a fixed miles reward. I tried and they could not do it.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Stranger
You can change for free, but not cancel. In other words, you can get full credit for a future flight, but you cannot have the miles credited back to your account.

It also appears that a market fare ticket cannot be exchanged with no fee for a fixed miles reward. I tried and they could not do it.
As far as I can tell the OP has a revenue ticket in basic economy, not an AE ticket.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:57 am
Formerly doc4science
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dr_torch
As far as I can tell the OP has a revenue ticket in basic economy, not an AE ticket.
Yep I have 2 revenue tickets purchased 2 weeks ago on aircanada.com
Old Mar 13, 2020, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not correct. That was updated more recently.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No real difference. If cancelling, i.e. getting the money back, the fee still applies. If asking for a credit to be flown until Dec. 31, the full amount goes to the credit. Full amount for paid tickets, miles for Aeroplan bookings.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
No real difference. If cancelling, i.e. getting the money back, the fee still applies. If asking for a credit to be flown until Dec. 31, the full amount goes to the credit. Full amount for paid tickets, miles for Aeroplan bookings.
What's not clear to me is that

1. Will the change/rebooting fee apply when I call in the future to use the credit
2. Can I use the credit to fly to a different destination?

I am in a similar situation as the OP
Old Mar 13, 2020, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by nepats
What's not clear to me is that

1. Will the change/rebooting fee apply when I call in the future to use the credit
2. Can I use the credit to fly to a different destination?

I am in a similar situation as the OP
As I understand it:
1 - No fee
2 - Yes
Old Mar 13, 2020, 12:58 pm

As I understand it:
1 - No fee
2 - Yes
Same here but there is this confusing wording online when I go to cancel! I cancelled it online anyway, so let's see what happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.