FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Booking Star Alliance flights (mostly United) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/2011534-booking-star-alliance-flights-mostly-united.html)

Mbcijim10 Mar 4, 2020 11:18 pm

Booking Star Alliance flights (mostly United)

I have 300k+ Capital One Points. I don't plan on earning any more. I book most of flights with United, which isn't a transfer partner of United. I am thinking of dumping my points into Aeroplan so I can close that card down. I'm pretty good at booking flights at the cheap rate on United, because most trips I'm very flexible on travel dates. I do have a Chase card which opens up more of the saver awards (12,500 miles).

My question is how successful do you think I will be booking saver United tickets with a stash of 225,000 Aeroplan miles?

canadiancow Mar 5, 2020 1:12 am

If your goal is to book UA XN with Aeroplan, nope.

If your goal is to get high cpm redemptions, that's easy with Aeroplan.

Mbcijim10 Mar 5, 2020 8:42 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 32144481)
If your goal is to book UA XN with Aeroplan, nope.

If your goal is to get high cpm redemptions, that's easy with Aeroplan.

Sorry I'm not good with booking codes, I googled it and saw XN is the Chase award space, and like you said, only available to United members, thank you.

Is there any saver space (12,500 miles, one way, contiguous 48 states, on UA metal), or is everything 25,000 miles one way? I did look at the award chart and it appears there should be some, although probably very limited.
If I lower my goal to 50,000 miles round trip, is there wide open availability on UA through Aeroplan miles?

My goal is not high cpm redemptions, it's round trip tickets to the contiguous 48 states, on UA metal because I am in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, and they fly the best routes for me year round. Closest hub to me is Salt Lake, which is 4.5 hour drive. I have 250k points stranded in BA since I really didn't understand what I was doing when I transferred them there, and trying not to repeat the same mistake.

canadiancow Mar 5, 2020 11:11 am

Living in SFO with a lot of Aeroplan miles, I find it nearly impossible to get anything reasonable on UA until a few days (or hours) before departure.

XN space gets eaten up by UA members long before X is available to partners.

I is just hard to find in general.

I know you want to close your card, but transferring from a bank program to an airline program should probably be on an as-needed basis (i.e. you see availability and want to book it right now). Transferring everything in the hopes you'll find something is just going to leave you disappointed.